Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace v Charlton - post match views

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:

I wouldn't call the performance spineless as such, especially when you consider how young and inexperienced the side was that we put out. I've no criticism of the players and the effort they put in.

It was the management's lack of courage to go for it with the lineup which was spineless and needs to shoulder 100% of the blame for us rolling over.

This is how I saw it.
  • Options
    The players aren't able to pick themselves.
  • Options

Cheer up guys, Palace were and still are a nothing club. A win would have been good but at the moment we cannot compete with their finances. We lose the match tonight but as other posters have pointed we will always win in the game of life v Palarse. Seriously tonight, would you want to be a Nigel saying goodnight to your Nigel friends with a south London and proud comment. We'll get back on track.

Unfortunately Palace are no longer a "nothing club". They are riding high in the most popular league in the world, seen on TV worldwide every week, will probably make more money in the next couple of years than Charlton have made in their 110 year history, have some top class players and players in their reserves that would walk into our first team.

Get real; we are playing second fiddle to them right now and that's not likely to change any time soon. We are number two in South London. At least we are not 3 or 4.
  • Options
    I don't know whether anyone will agree with me but i thought that in the first half while they where the stronger side - as you would expect from a premier league club - we held them fairly well. In the second half I felt we didn't work as hard and didn't push forward as much as most people would like. If we didn't deserve a penalty I question how did they deserved 2, but that's football for you. I wouldn't say 4-1 was a fair result and I still have faith in Guy!
  • Options
    So Solly's knees are likely to keep him out for Saturday and Diarra is injured.

Two of our first choice back 4 almost certainly out. We needed this game like the proverbial hole in the head.

A relegation struggle will be as welcome as Cameron popping up on my grandson's Peppa Pig recordings.
  • Options
    Took the wife out for a meal tonight as I couldn't stand having to listen to us losing to that lot. And it was pretty clear we would when Luzon picked that team.

Whatever possessed him to play that team?

Luzon has lost a lot of credit in the bank tonight. A few more defeats and we're be looking for a new manager again.

Wellwickman
    It wouldn't matter what team we picked we were onto a hiding.
    If our 'best team' had got more than 1/9 in the last 3 matches then they would deserve a Prem turnout.
    Luzon had better shape up in the next month or will be gone end October.

• Options
    I'm not gonna get started on the selection (Even though i think it's a disgrace we didn't play our best side) But i've just seen the pens properly for the first time, couldn't really see last night.

They are two of the softest pens i've ever seen and i have no idea how on earth Diarra gets sent off for his 'foul'

Fuming.
  • Options

Crap and embarrassing. If igor wants to go to Bolton let him, and the rest can follow. Awful. Where was Jacko after his pep talk?

Jacko tweeted he picked up an injury in training
  • Options

Sorry is Jackson injured? If not, he ain't ever getting another game for us

Tweeted he picked up an injury in training
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No-one on this board can seriously believes that any team Luzon put out was going to get a result last night.
    Cardiff is a far more important match. Another loss could see us slide into 3rd quartile..
    Insipid Ewood effort meant there was no point in demoralising the A team against a decent Prem outfit.
  • Options

Gutted to lose? Yes, I'm already getting stick.

Surprised? Not in the slightest.

But, if I were in Luzons shoes, I would have named a similar team. We have a stack of injuries hampering us as it is, if he'd played Bauer/JBG/Kashi and they'd picked up injury or two we'd be in even more trouble and we can't afford ANOTHER bad run in the league, ANOTHER new manager half way through a season, ANOTHER load of changes to background and playing staff.

The problem is that may happen quite regardless of tonight.
    It may well do. But we have a much better chance of it not happening with our remaining first teamers on the pitch than in the physio room.

We might have walked away from the match without any more injuries, but I can see why he tried to avoid the risk.
  • Options

Crap and embarrassing. If igor wants to go to Bolton let him, and the rest can follow. Awful. Where was Jacko after his pep talk?

Jacko tweeted he picked up an injury in training
    Sorry saw that after my angry comment last night
  • Options
    In the cold wet light of the morning the thing that gets me most is just how far they have come on. They are a good side and have a very good squad & it pains me to say.

Every dog does have its day and we were lucky enough to have a good run in the premier league but if that is seen as the promised land we are a bloody long way from it.
  • Options
    Lets just move on. How many times have we been in this situation. Only a few years ago we lost 4-0 at Millwall in League One and that was bad! It was a young team out last night and Palace did not have one shot on target in the 1st half. The two penalties were a disgrace and Bamford was clearly in an offside position for their 4th. These are not excuses for a lacklustre display but any Charlton fan will know that we turn things around. Frustrating I know but I have been supporting this club for many years and we do have some decent players this season. It will click, trust me!
  • Options

Cheer up guys, Palace were and still are a nothing club. A win would have been good but at the moment we cannot compete with their finances. We lose the match tonight but as other posters have pointed we will always win in the game of life v Palarse. Seriously tonight, would you want to be a Nigel saying goodnight to your Nigel friends with a south London and proud comment. We'll get back on track.

Unfortunately Palace are no longer a "nothing club". They are riding high in the most popular league in the world, seen on TV worldwide every week, will probably make more money in the next couple of years than Charlton have made in their 110 year history, have some top class players and players in their reserves that would walk into our first team.

Get real; we are playing second fiddle to them right now and that's not likely to change any time soon. We are number two in South London. At least we are not 3 or 4.
    Get real? My comment was meant to be light hearted in all the doom. Sure Sky has given them money and unless our owner spends we will never get to that level. To me though they always will be a nothing club somewhere in a nasty suburb of South London. South London and proud!!!
  • Options
    had a great afternoon/evening.....until the 2nd half kicked off.

watched the Rugby in the Barrowboy and Banker, good atmosphere and plenty of singing, good atmosphere inside the ground, we were so far back though you could barely see what was going on on the pitch. Plenty of effort from our lads and there were there for the taking at HT if we'd bought Watt and JBG on then....don't want to dismiss the bloke from Everton too quickly, but at the moment he looks like a cross between Bradley Allen and Spongefoot Church (and I'm not being complimentary), if we are going to get prem loans, then at least get ones that will make us stronger (ala Coq from Arse).

Back 5 all looked solid in the first half I thought, but we were powderpuff up front, 2 soft pens (from what I could see) and couldn't really tell with the sending off, but once that pen went in and made it 3-1 we left, managed to talk our way through the police cordon, appears they had 'spotters' out and were picking people off. Literally hundreds of OB lining the route back to NJ, jumped straight on a train back to New Cross Gate, quick walk to New Cross and back in Welling before 11.

I try not to get too uptight about results now, been watching us for far too long.....me, I just enjoyed a rare night out with my mates having a beer and a laugh with no kids for once!

...I admit I still have a bit of the hump this morning though!
  • Options
    It wasn't a smidge on the Millwall defeat in April.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Have calmed down now and read through my comments on the match thread again, I really did let @colin1961 get to me didn't I, so once again apologies to all.
    Oh well its done now and we move onto Saturday, but it sounds as though with our threadbare squad we will be lucky to get 18 players to name on the team sheet!!

Not sure what has happened to GL's tactics but I've looked at Goals for and Goals against before and after the international break-:
    First 7 games up to and including Wolves (including Cup games) -: For 14, Against 6
    Last 4 games after International break (including Cup game) -: For 3, Against 10

I'm, like a lot of you, concerned things aren't right in the changing room at the moment, yes we have had lots of injuries, but GL always said we needed at least another 2/3 players into the squad to give us a good shot at aiming high, we ended up getting 1 on loan who nobody had really heard of. Wish I knew what RD's master-plan is, because at the moment I'm concerned and confused.
  • Options
    I do understand Luzon's logic for playing a weakened side, but you just don't do it against Palace. It sounds as if they were quite fortunate and even Sky said the scoreline flattered them. Having seen the highlights, I have to say, I think the first is a penalty. Diarra only has himself to blame. You don't pull a forward back like that in the penalty area. Even the second is his own fault. An awful first touch lets in the forward, although it's never a penalty and certainly not a straight red. Time to start Bauer and Sarr together.

I honestly don't understand any talk of Luzon being sacked, or wanting him to be sacked. We've played eight league games. Eight! We have the same amount of points as we did at this point last season. I was one of the most anti-Luzon posters on here when he was first appointed and even after his first few games, but since then he's really turned it around and gets us playing some good, high-pressing football. How have we gone from a club that had one manager for almost 20 years to wanting one sacked every time we lose a couple of games? Luzon is a bit tactically naive sometimes and we have a fairly inexperienced coaching set-up. I wonder if we just need an older head on the bench with them. Keith Peacock maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Getting rid of Luzon would be a ridiculous move right now. He's been given half a season (did well). Now he's been given 80% of a squad. He needs to sort out a few heads and work on his tactics a bit but also needs a full season. Its not even October yet. Also, who else would come to us that's better?
  • Options
    Forget all this hating another Club crap, it makes no sense. Basically there are two things that I believe about Roland. 1) He is building an Academy ready for our return to the Premiership. 2) He is insisting that Katrien must run the Club within a break-even budget, and must not lose money. Unfortunately the two things do not work together, we have a small squad beset by injuries, and we could end up by having the finest Academy ever seen in League One ! As a businessman Roland has to accept the principle of speculating to accumulate, in this instance the accumulation is £120 million for hitting the Premiership. He strikes me as a very unusual man, sometimes you have to listen to Tom Jones Roland, it'snot unusual.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I don't understand why RD would keep such a sparse and (outside of the first 11) an average squad, if he wants to make money/get a return on his investment, why not push the squad forward and push for promotion? I'm clueless here at the moment.

This. We can't keep blaming the manager / head coach / whatever they want to call him. I do not understand the logic of RD. He invested well in the squad over the summer and then just stopped - was that just the Gomez money being used? We will never challenge for promotion if it carries on like this and last night just shows how quickly a gap can open between a relatively newly promoted side to a Championship club. It wasn't that long ago Palace were sitting at the bottom of this league.
  • Options
    Hey Guy,

Look how strong a team these clubs picked.
    You pissed all over our cup final - and yes it was our cup final.

Man Utd team
    01 de Gea
    25 A Valencia
    12 Smalling (Jones - 70' )
    17 Blind
    18 Young
    31 Schweinsteiger
    21 Herrera
    08 Mata (Martial - 70' )
    10 Rooney (Depay - 81' )
    44 Pereira
    27 Fellaini

Spurs team
    13 Vorm
    16 Trippier
    21 Fazio
    27 Wimmer
    03 Rose
    15 Dier (N'Jie - 85' )
    28 Carroll
    17 Townsend (Son Heung-min - 67' )
    23 Eriksen
    22 Chadli (Alli - 75' Booked )
    10 Kane

Arsenal team
    13 Ospina
    02 Debuchy Booked
    21 Chambers
    04 Mertesacker
    03 Gibbs
    20 Flamini Booked
    08 Arteta Booked
    28 Campbell (Sánchez - 67' )
    16 Ramsey
    15 Oxlade-Chamberlain (Walcott - 89' )
    12 Giroud

chelsea team

01 Begovic
    02 Ivanovic
    26 Terry Booked
    24 Cahill
    06 Baba
    12 Mikel Booked
    36 Loftus-Cheek (Matic - 72' )
    07 Ramires
    16 Nunes do Nascimento (Pedro - 70' )
    18 Remy
    09 Falcao
  • Options
    Ipswich made 11 changes last night.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Everything has more or less been written in this thread about the weakness of that team/our squad. Very disappointed with the result and disappointed that we didnt give it a real go ala Birmingham. Just seen the goals again on Sky,man alive,those pens are just so soft,barely touched and they both went down like they'd been shot,in fact,Gayle fouls Diarra and just bounces off him for the 2nd one doesnt he? No difference between those and the one we werent given. Yet another mug referee who favours the Prem diving nancys.
  • Options
    It may have been mentioned before, but why does Pope bother going out for the warm up? Most of the GK coach's crosses and shots either go miles over the bar or to the other side of the box. Pope basically stands there jumping on the spot while Mitov collects loose balls for the coach to smash over the bar again...
  • Options
    Just once I'd love to see Charlton win one of these games, now got to put up with Clowns & all that shite for weeks
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Just once I'd love to see Charlton win one of these games, now got to put up with Clowns & all that shite for weeks

Surely not? They dont care about us after all do they? The way some of the nigels have reacted im pretty sure it was THEIR cup final lol :wink: