Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

7th Sept 1985.

Thirty years to the day that we were told we were quitting the valley.
Whenever the going gets tough with our club; we can always look back and say that it will never be that bad again.

Comments

• Nice sunny day and a 3-1 win to boot , don't think the enormity of "that piece of paper" really sunk in

I mean seriously Selhurst Park is so near yet so far away on the shitty South Circular

We eventually ,once I was driving , worked an amazing route out but it must have had 50 left and right turns to avoid most of the traffic
  • Nice sunny day and a 3-1 win to boot , don't think the enormity of "that piece of paper" really sunk in

I mean seriously Selhurst Park is so near yet so far away on the shitty South Circular

We eventually ,once I was driving , worked an amazing route out but it must have had 50 left and right turns to avoid most of the traffic

You would have put a black cab driver to shame!

Seeing it in print again has made me feel slightly queasy.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
  • edited September 2015
    We have a lot of papers about the move in the museum including letters between the Charlton and Palace boards

Did you know it was suggested that the ground in SE27 should be called the "Selhurst Valley"?
  • We have a lot of papers about the move in the museum including letters between the Charlton and Palace boards

Did you know it was suggested that the ground in SE27 should be called the "Selhurst Valley"?

Horrible. Just horrible.
  • Superior facility's at selhurst park. Wow!!!!
  • wonder how many took advantage of the special discount to also watch Palace first team games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally i absolutely hated going to Palace, but i can see how Palace fans think we are an ungrateful lot.
  • Did anyone used to get the coaches ?

For first couple of seasons got coach from outside Dartford library
  • I was first introduced to Charlton in '86. For that reason I loved going to Selhurst Park. For the early years of supporting Charlton, I knew no better. These days I have very mixed emotions about the place.
  • Made me sick to my stomach again reading that.
  • MrOneLung said:

wonder how many took advantage of the special discount to also watch Palace first team games.

That's exactly what I thought when reading it - who in their right mind would be up for that !

Am I right in thinking the 30th anniversary of our first game at Selhurst is the 23rd ?
  • se9addick said:

MrOneLung said:

wonder how many took advantage of the special discount to also watch Palace first team games.

That's exactly what I thought when reading it - who in their right mind would be up for that !

Am I right in thinking the 30th anniversary of our first game at Selhurst is the 23rd ?
    Last game at the Valley: 21/9/85
    First home game at Selhurst: 5/10/85
  • This is something we've of course been over plenty of times on here, but seeing that cold, dispassionate message again in all its misery just makes me feel cold. I remember exactly how I felt when I first read it, and where I stood, trying but failing to take in the enormity of it all.

The years we spent there really were shit but it's fascinating to hear from those who caught on to CAFC during that period. As we all know a spirit in the club was reborn that even now hasn't gone away, distant new owner or not. And maybe it takes another look at that document to appreciate all over again exactly what's been built in SE7 since then. No matter what his motives, incredible to think that Fryer genuinely thought we'd all just settle down and get used to it. Thank God we didn't.

• CAFC Facts & Stats
    @CafcFacts
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGBnqXEr8I … #cafc 7/9/85 Supporters after the news that we were moving from the Valley
  • Cheers Henry; doesn't get any better, does it?
  • From the CAFC Facts & Stats twitter site ‏@CafcFacts

Not sure if they post on here but assume they do as anyone who matters does : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally i absolutely hated going to Palace, but i can see how Palace fans think we are an ungrateful lot.

You think they would have felt differently from us if the boot was on the other foot? Would they have been grateful? I don't think so. That piece of paper was something I didn't want to see today.
  • it was my 9th birthday. Not the best present
  • I had tickets to see Imagination at The Orchard in Dartford that evening. Thought that it might have taken my mind off it. It didn't, I was in a foul mood all night (and Lee Johns is a dick)
  • I had tickets to see Imagination at The Orchard in Dartford that evening. Thought that it might have taken my mind off it. It didn't, I was in a foul mood all night (and Lee Johns is a dick)

Did you? Or was it Just an illusion?

• Swisdom said:

it was my 9th birthday. Not the best present

Happy birthday!

• CAFC Facts & Stats
    @CafcFacts
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGBnqXEr8I … #cafc 7/9/85 Supporters after the news that we were moving from the Valley

There's a young Richard Birch (Charlton fan and Racing Post dog correspondent) in that clip!
  • "We are delighted with this arrangement...."
    Sometimes one must endure the dark before the light returns. One respects those who would not, nor could travel to Norwood. The Selhurst Years saw a renaissance; the emergence of a solidity, pride, identity and spirit, leading to promotion to Division One and successful attempts to avoid relegation thereafter. By the time the latter did occur, bold moves were afoot to get us home. The combination of astute management by Lennie Lawrence (who, in years to come, would reflect that Charlton '...wasn't so much a Club, as a Cause' ) and the imaginative, collective spirit of The Valley Party, would see CAFC return to SE7 in 1992 in a better condition than it had been in when it departed.
    So, on both today's anniversary of the 'Message to our Supporters', and on 21st September, on that of our 'final' Home game, let us take heart. We have an interesting history, much of which WE have shaped, and we continue to support a thing of value.
    # Bobbin' along
  • "We won't go to Selhurst Park"

(Though some of us actually did)
  • Joshuk87 said:

Superior facility's at selhurst park. Wow!!!!

How many grounds do you know where, the wife can do a "big Shop" while you watch the football. That my friend equals superior. ;)
  • Was my 12th birthday