Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club Ambassador Keith Peacock at Bromley Addicks Q & A on 17th September

2»

Comments

• No minutes published yet?

Am meant to be giving the scoop to the east kent Addicks twitter followers....
  • Good to meet you C.

It was an excellent meeting and please do post tomorrow.

KP top bloke and has so many stories and opinions.

Wright
    Burkett Went Hinton Curtis

Glover Bailey A. Campbell Bonds

Firmani Hales

Sub: Peacock
  • Good to meet you C.

Wright

Firmani Hales

I thought he said Hewie was LB not Burkett.
  • Many thanks to Ian,Ben,David,Vince,Tony and Jean, (Sorry for any omittance)

A Master Carpenter could never have created a better dovetail fit
    than Charlton Athletic AMBASSADOR Keith Peacock.

Hearing about Players from 62-79,
    From Hewie to Hales.
    You have a Template in your mind of Players,
    John Hewie being South African/Scottish,
    But hearing that he took no Prisoners by Keith and members in the audience,
    Was a great insight, into another Top CAFC Legend who sadly passed away in the last year.

Hearing about Hales and that he took no Prisoners us well
    was a funny story, related to us by the MC but maybe not to every ones taste;
    But fitted the Character that was Killer Hales.

A nice new Venue, also good to meet an Ex Orpington Lad doing well down under,
    but has kept the love for the Addicts. Top man Ozaddict.

• Good to meet you C.

Wright

Firmani Hales

I thought he said Hewie was LB not Burkett.
    perhaps. The Youngs at £3.20 was going down well.

• where's Ozaddick's write up?

Conspiracy blah blah blah

Dissing other fans blah blah blah

Most likely spent all day buying cardigans to take back down under : - )
  • ozaddick said:

Sorry, been on the piss with a few Aussie lads over the weekend, I've just recovered!

Thanks for the shopping tips @Henry Irving ;)
    Thanks also to @soapboxsam for your kind words.
    I just remember Kieth being a genuinely good man who loves our club.

He spoke a fair bit about his playing days, days that were before my time I might add!

On his debut he said he was 12th man. As we all know subs weren't used in those days, but a 12th man travelled to the game incase of injury or illness to a player prior to kick off, which is what happened to Keith, he was told an hour before kickoff he was playing, it was against Sunderland at the old roker park in front of about 40 thousand. He'd never experienced noise like it, I think he said we lost.

He told us of his superstitious ritual of keeping the ball up when he came on all the way to the 18 yard box and then volley it into the net. It became a ritual to him, it sharpened his mind and warmed up the legs, as in those days there wasn't much of pre game warm ups or stretches, and he said it must of worked as he never got injured.

He said when he was a young player his keep up record was 3033!! Keith said he was knackered afterwards!

One game, away from home, he began his normal routine however there was a strong cross wind and he struggled keeping it up as the wind ended up taking the ball, with him trying to control it, all the way to over near the corner flag, where he lost control to the jeers of the crowd, he injured his hamstring that game too!

He was asked about tactics those days, and he said it was nothing like today's training. Basics were given, like ' watch out for so and so' but really they just went out and played. Keith said he liked to manage in the same way, telling a player to play the same way that Keith signed him for in the first place, he reckons the game has become far to analysed.

He spoke of his managers at Charlton, they used to play 5 a side games, one former manager, I forget his name, maybe someone here can remember who he was referring to, was only just retired from football himself and was also a bit of a hard man, who one day had a player by his throat pinned up against some railings as the player had 'upset' the manager. It wouldn't happen now days!

He said curbs, when given the job, had something about him, but at the beginning of his tenure with us, after Steve gritt was let go, Keith said he had no idea he'd become such a good manager and to go on to being a club legend. Curbs grew as a manager along with the clubs fortunes.

Thanks for that, oz.

Sorry I didn't get to see you this time around and that you witnessed some poor performances from the lads.

Not sure when you're flying back but safe journey.
    xx

• Sponsored links:

• The manager in question was Frank "tiger" Hill.
  • @Fanny Fanackapan , I'm here for a while yet, I've extended my time over here. I Hope to see you.