Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jermaine Pennant

Comments

• Is there anything in his character that makes you think he'd take a massive pay cut to do a job for Charlton?

The fact he came for a trial [insert court joke here] is probably a pretty decent indicator for one. I can't see him turning up merely as a prank somehow.
  • So it took him until he was 30 to realise he had an attitude problem - really?

The guy clearly had talent but even Wenger finally lost patience with him after 6 years and 12 appearances for Arsenal. Do you think Wenger never told him he had an attitude problem?

Three years at Liverpool - 50 odd games - 3 years at Stoke - 50 odd games - the rest bits here and there. He's played 300 senior games in 16 years!!

Any consideration of the effect he might have in the dressing room?

No thank you.
  • Is there anything in his character that makes you think he'd take a massive pay cut to do a job for Charlton?

I doubt he was on that much at Wigan and Pune City.
  • dickplumb said:

Bloody hell.

No wonder he finds it hard getting out of bed in the mornings.
    I think he'll find it hard staying in bed as well.
  • Vincenzo said:

Tough start in life, he had. Didn't know that and made assumptions based on what little I knew.

Always though he was a handy player - a proper winger - and there's precious few of them about.

Not a dig at you, but this is such a football 'thing'..... "What a tosser that bloke is, absolute scum, oh he's signing for Charlton? Seems like a nice geezer, had a tough life".

Same on the thread about Livermere, "bad times or not, shouldn't be taking coke. Oh, he's signing for Charlton? Well I understand he was in a dark place".

After the pages and pages (and pages) about Ched Evans..I wonder how many fans would see it 'from his side' if he signed for Charlton
    Or it could be, and I'm just putting it out there, that there's a pretty substantial difference between a drink driver and an unrepentant rapist. Not quite sure how you dragged Livermore in either as he's never been linked with us. I think you might be a bit confused
    I'm confused. I thought it was me that was confused.
    :confused:
  • Some lads working for my firm had to do some work at his house and found out he had hooked his hot tub and pool straight to the incoming side of the electric meter. Cue him having to spend a bit of money to the supplier for the leccy he had ahem borrowed.
  • Vincenzo said:

Tough start in life, he had. Didn't know that and made assumptions based on what little I knew.

Always though he was a handy player - a proper winger - and there's precious few of them about.

Not a dig at you, but this is such a football 'thing'..... "What a tosser that bloke is, absolute scum, oh he's signing for Charlton? Seems like a nice geezer, had a tough life".

Same on the thread about Livermere, "bad times or not, shouldn't be taking coke. Oh, he's signing for Charlton? Well I understand he was in a dark place".

After the pages and pages (and pages) about Ched Evans..I wonder how many fans would see it 'from his side' if he signed for Charlton
    Or it could be, and I'm just putting it out there, that there's a pretty substantial difference between a drink driver and an unrepentant rapist. Not quite sure how you dragged Livermore in either as he's never been linked with us. I think you might be a bit confused
    He's a multiple time drink driver/other motoring offences. Seems he's pretty unrepentent !
  • Really did we just use as s comparison a rapist to a kid who who just lost his child and as a result sniffed cocaine as an escape and a bloke who has drunk drove.

I can see how easy it is to do what Livermore and pennant have done in their lives but I fail to ever see how anything evens has done can be the result of anything he has faced unless it's now been disclosed he was sexually abused also
  • Sponsored links:

• Jermaine Pennant is the only uncapped Englishman to have played in the winning team of a European cup/champions league final.
  • Really did we just use as s comparison a rapist to a kid who who just lost his child and as a result sniffed cocaine as an escape and a bloke who has drunk drove.

I can see how easy it is to do what Livermore and pennant have done in their lives but I fail to ever see how anything evens has done can be the result of anything he has faced unless it's now been disclosed he was sexually abused also

How would you feel about if Jermaine Pennant had killed someone as a result of his drink driving?

• Has under achieved in his career based on his talent and don't see that changing. Not excited by this link.
  • Remember him doing well at the end of the season for Wigan, scored a few free kicks I seem to remember. Would be fairly pleased if he signed.

Signed for them at the end of February and scored 3 goals in 13 games. Turned down a new contract with them. He could be decent back up for us, but i don't see him in our first XI.

His wife isn't too shabby though.

https://instagram.com/xxalicegoodwinxx/
    I must have my contacts in the wrong way round if that is what passes as "not too shabby" thesedays.............a trout pout , fake boobs that would be better used as buoyancy aids and a tan that Frank Bruno would be proud of.

no thanks
    You getting picky, Golfie ?

• But he never, so it can't be used as a comparison

It's been done to death on here there's certain things that every day people do that are genuine mistakes, ridiculous ones some that are so abhorrent to folks that have never made them,

I have admitted that I have drove when under the influence and i Would suggest if people are honest that there would be a high % who have done it also, many people on here's dad's and uncles, their grandads all would have done it, and although it's a shameful thing to admit it happens and happend and fortunately for me I never got caught nor hurt anyone,

What I have never done is put myself in the ched Evans situation and never would that's the point I am making, one person in that comparison lost a child and took a bit of powder who did he hurt bar himself

The other drove drunk twice and was caught it's hardly crime of century, if he was your family member would you not feel that the situation was minor enough that he should be able to have a chance to continue the one thing he seems blessed with

There is a difference between someone who does something dangerous without the intention to hurt someone and someone who does something knowingly harmful to others.

However, often the only difference between drunk driving and death by drunk driving is luck. If we were signing Lee Hughes then the reaction would a lot different. Fortunately Pennant never killed anyone, but that doesn't mean we should just shrug off what he did imho.

• But he never, so it can't be used as a comparison

It's been done to death on here there's certain things that every day people do that are genuine mistakes, ridiculous ones some that are so abhorrent to folks that have never made them,

I have admitted that I have drove when under the influence and i Would suggest if people are honest that there would be a high % who have done it also, many people on here's dad's and uncles, their grandads all would have done it, and although it's a shameful thing to admit it happens and happend and fortunately for me I never got caught nor hurt anyone,

What I have never done is put myself in the ched Evans situation and never would that's the point I am making, one person in that comparison lost a child and took a bit of powder who did he hurt bar himself

The other drove drunk twice and was caught it's hardly crime of century, if he was your family member would you not feel that the situation was minor enough that he should be able to have a chance to continue the one thing he seems blessed with

There is a difference between someone who does something dangerous without the intention to hurt someone and someone who does something knowingly harmful to others.

However, often the only difference between drunk driving and death by drunk driving is luck. If we were signing Lee Hughes then the reaction would a lot different. Fortunately Pennant never killed anyone, but that doesn't mean we should just shrug off what he did imho.

This...

I have always remembered what Tony Adams said after he got caught, and banged up for 30 days.

The reason he didn't kill anyone was not down to superior skill, reflexes, or any such nonsense. The reason he didn't kill anyone was due to one thing. LUCK!

I like a drink myself, and never thought that if I was driving, I would be able to resist the temptation. So I made the conscious decision not to learn to drive.

I'm 58 now, and never regretted it...
  • You gotta just love the holier than thou brigade on this site.
    I did it once ( drink driving in my youth ) not clever and thankfully did not hurt anyone.
    I did it once ( drink driving in my youth ) not clever and thankfully did not hurt anyone.

Yeah who do these people think they are? Not breaking the law and putting lives at risk. What awful people!
  • Sponsored links:

• But has he found his car yet?
  • It's a 'no' from me. He's a mercenary and past it. As someone has already said, another Keith Gillespie, albeit with a bigger ego.

If I read it correctly he got arrested a few times. One For drink driving when he had lost his licence. For drink driving. It seemed a pattern.

You did it once. He did it twice... at least he got caught twice. The fact he didn't learn the first time what a bad idea it was suggests he probably wasn't always sober behind the wheel in between times either. But even assuming it was ONLY twice... that makes him twice as likely to have seriously hurt himself, or someone else, and twice as lucky to have got away with 'only' punishment.

In fairness... he has not in fact hurt anyone by his actions in driving drunk. But being drunk at all makes that just as much luck as judgement. He seems to have somewhat reformed and his past makes his behaviour more understandable if not totally sympathetic. And personally, I would judge him as I did Roger Johnson, another with a past history with alcohol - a clean sheet and on what he does whilst in Charlton colours. But I will never think that driving drunk is anything other than irresponsible at best.
  • I changed my opinion on Bradley Wright Phillips when he signed for Charlton.
    If Penneant does well in his first few matches ill probably change my mind about him too.
    Id even show him the correct way to use a mobile phone.
  • Thought about this over my morning coffee. Overall, I'd say no. JBG is already star man on the wing and for free kicks. If he was injured, I'd rather see someone from the youth team given a go. If we didn't have JBG, I might think differently, but as things stand, I wouldn't see him getting into the side.
  • I wonder how many outraged or without sin actually have many sins they hide, drink driving is abhorrent and disgusting I think everyone agrees with that, but what if the person who done or was a family member your dad or son or daughter would you expect them to not be allowed to work or be labelled in the same context as a tried and convicted rapist, I do wonder what lives some live

Totally agree.

My objection has nothing to do with his criminal past - it's all about an appalling and disruptive attitude.
  • Thought about this over my morning coffee. Overall, I'd say no. JBG is already star man on the wing and for free kicks. If he was injured, I'd rather see someone from the youth team given a go. If we didn't have JBG, I might think differently, but as things stand, I wouldn't see him getting into the side.

But what if JBG was out for months? Would you really want a youth team player filling in for that amount of time? And if so, who? Charles-Cook could do it but it seems like he's also our reserve right back at the moment. Squad building is all about planning for what happens in the worst case scenario. We suffered last season because we didn't have a big enough squad to cover for injuries and tiredness in the first 11, and we didn't have any players to offer something different when we got found out. Pennant would offer pace, experience and some classic wing play, which is one thing our squad is lacking. We have JBG, who cuts inside and provides a goal threat, Ceballos who works as a wide playmaker and Cousins who offers defensive solidity, but no line-hugging out-and-out winger. If Pennant is happy to start off on the bench and work his way into the squad then I think he'd be a decent signing
  • But has he found his car yet?

Wasn't that Seb?