Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jermaine Pennant

Comments

• dickplumb said:

Bloody hell.

Don't be jealous mate. Do you think she will hang around Pennant when he's picking up £50 a week playing for some non-league team?

Anyway back on thread. No we don't want Pennant. There's a certain type of player we should be going after eg a young Kinsella or a good old pro like Mendonca. Proper Charlton. Somehow I don't think JP comes into that mould.
    The game, and more importantly our club, has seemingly moved on from 'proper Charlton' as an approach. Players like Ba, Bergdich, Watt, Sarr, Diarra....None of them are typical 'proper Charlton', but they'll do a good job for us.

Pennant as a player coming off the bench wouldn't be the worst deal for us IMO. It also gives us reasonable cover for injuries, which as we are already seeing could impact us sooner rather than later.
  • edited August 2015
    Pennant is a good signing potentially.
    Not quite as exciting as Henry from Wolves but JP could add a bit of experience and hopefully take some pressure off of Gudmundson.
  • Please forgive my ignorance. I know this guy has been inside, but have no idea for what for?
  • Please forgive my ignorance. I know this guy has been inside, but have no idea for what for?

Drink driving I think.
  • Not sure I would.............
  • I've just read Wikipedia 's Pennant entry. Under 'personal life' it's none to endearing. I'm surprised anyone would welcome this bloke to CAFC.
  • Has a Keith Gillespie feel about it.
  • Drink driving and pretending he was Ashley Cole when he got caught - probably didn't like his book and wanted him put away, didn't work however.

Talal said:

Please forgive my ignorance. I know this guy has been inside, but have no idea for what for?

Drink driving I think.
    Thanks chaps. Not ideal, but not as bad as some who still get paid to play the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Plus, 32? I thought we were going for the "young & hungry" players this year.
  • Daggs said:

I've just read Wikipedia 's Pennant entry. Under 'personal life' it's none to endearing. I'm surprised anyone would welcome this bloke to CAFC.

Does sound a bit of a dick but don't suppose he had the best upbringing, it says he's illiterate so can't have had much of an education either. Doesn't excuse things I know but hopefully he's grown up a bit by now.
  • edited August 2015

Remember him doing well at the end of the season for Wigan, scored a few free kicks I seem to remember. Would be fairly pleased if he signed.

Signed for them at the end of February and scored 3 goals in 13 games. Turned down a new contract with them. He could be decent back up for us, but i don't see him in our first XI.

His wife isn't too shabby though.

https://instagram.com/xxalicegoodwinxx/
    I must have my contacts in the wrong way round if that is what passes as "not too shabby" thesedays.............a trout pout , fake boobs that would be better used as buoyancy aids and a tan that Frank Bruno would be proud of.

no thanks
    Yeah right. So if she came on to you tonight, you'd say,

"Oi Goodwin no, leave it out tweacle."

If I was Pennant, I'd keep her under house arrest and would never leave the house myself.
  • edited August 2015
    Brilliant. I reckon Pennant should be a stand up comedian, when he retires.

“After I left Stoke last January, I quickly realised, that it wasn’t my football ability that was in question, but my character.

I just can’t understand where that’s come from."
  • But what about Jermaine?
  • Talal said:

Daggs said:

I've just read Wikipedia 's Pennant entry. Under 'personal life' it's none to endearing. I'm surprised anyone would welcome this bloke to CAFC.

Does sound a bit of a dick but don't suppose he had the best upbringing, it says he's illiterate so can't have had much of an education either. Doesn't excuse things I know but hopefully he's grown up a bit by now.
    Wasn't his mother a prostitute ?
  • Talal said:

Daggs said:

Wasn't his mother a prostitute ?
    Stepmother apparently. Found this from an article -

"Pennant's parents separated when he was three, and he lived with his father, helping to raise his three younger brothers and sisters. At first, he resided in a hostel for the homeless in Nottingham and then the family moved to a tough council estate where crime and drug dealing were the norm. His mother (who he was very close to) died from cancer, and after his stepmother was exposed as a prostitute by The People newspaper, in 2003, his father subsequently parted from her."
  • I can imagine GL & his Mossad friends can persuade Jermaine to "behave" ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember him doing well at the end of the season for Wigan, scored a few free kicks I seem to remember. Would be fairly pleased if he signed.

Signed for them at the end of February and scored 3 goals in 13 games. Turned down a new contract with them. He could be decent back up for us, but i don't see him in our first XI.

I'm not saying she isn't beautiful, but in some of those pictures she literally looks like a waxwork.
  • Tough start in life, he had. Didn't know that and made assumptions based on what little I knew.

Always though he was a handy player - a proper winger - and there's precious few of them about.
  • Remember him doing well at the end of the season for Wigan, scored a few free kicks I seem to remember. Would be fairly pleased if he signed.

That pairing truly made in a trailer park. Of course she'll stick around when JP's bank balance drops below the mil.

If he agreed to play on a pay for goals/assists basis I'd still take plenty of convincing.
    Even if he's found god, taken the pledge and now dedicates all his time to his craft, his career is such a litany of underachievement he has to be considered a massive risk, not to mention what bad apples can spoil in the dressing room.

It's a NO from the north west kent judge
  • short and sweet,no thanks,would not want him at my club.
  • Vincenzo said:

Tough start in life, he had. Didn't know that and made assumptions based on what little I knew.

Always though he was a handy player - a proper winger - and there's precious few of them about.

Not a dig at you, but this is such a football 'thing'..... "What a tosser that bloke is, absolute scum, oh he's signing for Charlton? Seems like a nice geezer, had a tough life".

Same on the thread about Livermere, "bad times or not, shouldn't be taking coke. Oh, he's signing for Charlton? Well I understand he was in a dark place".

After the pages and pages (and pages) about Ched Evans..I wonder how many fans would see it 'from his side' if he signed for Charlton
  • Not taking it as a dig, Franck, but I'm not saying he's a nice geezer. Just I didn't know his background.
  • Vincenzo said:

Tough start in life, he had. Didn't know that and made assumptions based on what little I knew.

Not a dig at you, but this is such a football 'thing'..... "What a tosser that bloke is, absolute scum, oh he's signing for Charlton? Seems like a nice geezer, had a tough life".

Same on the thread about Livermere, "bad times or not, shouldn't be taking coke. Oh, he's signing for Charlton? Well I understand he was in a dark place".

After the pages and pages (and pages) about Ched Evans..I wonder how many fans would see it 'from his side' if he signed for Charlton
    I'm confused. When did Jake Livermore sign for Charlton?
  • Vincenzo said:

I'm confused. When did Jake Livermore sign for Charlton?
    He didn't?! Oh wow, well that's good bloody druggie
  • Why are we being so picky about character? It is not as if he is a kiddie groper. If he is good enough, sign him for a season and then maybe replace with Henry next summer. I think he would strengthen the squad. The only potential snag is that these older players are more prone to injury.
  • Is there anything in his character that makes you think he'd take a massive pay cut to do a job for Charlton?