Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Away

Six days to the Derby game - no details of coach times, pick-ups, no mention anywhere that I've seen. Stalwart travellers turned away at the ticket office when they tried to book yesterday. Perhaps CAST should think about taking it out of the club's hands?

Comments

• I phoned on Wednesday, and was told being typed up and available from Monday.
  • There in the post!
  • edited August 2015
    Facebook

Daniel Smith
    11 hrs
    Got all the way to Charlton and they ain't even sorted out the coach tickets for Derby yet he said to me 2morrow or Wednesday they will be sorted so why didn't they say that on the phone to me
  • Twice they have ignored my emails for information using the email link on the CAFC website. In the end telephoned and told this morning that Valley Away details for Derby will be out later today and there will be a service for Saturday bookable from tomorrow. This gives very little time to promote the service. What odds that they then use lack of demand for doing away with VA altogether?
  • The Supporters Club used to run it & I think the club "took it off of them". (Airman will no doubt correct/agree with me).

If a football club aiming for The Premiership, don't want to do it, are not capable of doing it, then give it back to the amateurs, who ran it perfectly well for many years.

Thing is the "amateurs" are in pretty short supply these days, CE.

Apart from Bromley Addicks, there's very little activity in /support for the various SG's out there.

As a result, those volunteers who worked tirelessly over the years to start up & keep the Groups going , have , on the whole "retired".

A thankless task IMHO.

• edited August 2015

The Supporters Club used to run it & I think the club "took it off of them". (Airman will no doubt correct/agree with me).

If a football club aiming for The Premiership, don't want to do it, are not capable of doing it, then give it back to the amateurs, who ran it perfectly well for many years.

The club didn't take it off the fans (although it had tried and failed in 1991-92). The official supporters' club service was supplanted by the independent group in East Kent, which then folded, I think, in 2005. We'd launched Valley Express in 2004/05 and were already running certain routes in tandem with local supporters' clubs. There was a risk of no away service in, I think, 2005/06, so it made sense to all parties that the football club administered away travel alongside VEX - in particular so that fans could book ticket and travel for away games at the same time.

However, it was essentially the same service with the same stewards - indeed even Wendy who oversaw it for the club had run it for years for CASC. It would be quite possible to take it away from the club again if that was thought necessary.
  • Called ticket office today(Tuesday); Steve said supporters will be able to book coach tickets from tomorrow for Derby and Forest games.
  • Rang the Ticket Office as I was told to do this morning only to be advised that the coach is already full! After protest, they have said there is the possibility of an extra coach and will ring me back if this is arranged. Suggest that anyone hoping to use Valley Away, and not booked their seat, that they get on to the ticket office straight away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rang the Ticket Office as I was told to do this morning only to be advised that the coach is already full! After protest, they have said there is the possibility of an extra coach and will ring me back if this is arranged. Suggest that anyone hoping to use Valley Away, and not booked their seat, that they get on to the ticket office straight away.

From that and the news on the clubs website it appears that that they are only running one coach per route per away game. The club clearly don't want to lose any money on any travel, and IMO see at as an inconvenience.

Someone could make a nice little bit of beer money if they decided to run their own coach service to away games.
  • no departure points on the south-coast, a disgrace ;-))

it should be remembered that whether there is 1 supporter in attendance at an away game or 10,000 the Club make no money out of that, ticket revenue or otherwise. I'm not saying that they should abandon it but they obviously don't see it as a priority, rightly or wrongly. It would be interesting to know how many other Clubs run the away travel themselves and how much of it is run by supporters groups. Even if we still had a Supporters Club it would probably have to be be done on a volunteer basis unless enough funds could be generated annually to employ an Administrator which i can't see happening. For it to be done on a volunteer basis would be an onerous task imo.
  • Six days to the Derby game - no details of coach times, pick-ups, no mention anywhere that I've seen. Stalwart travellers turned away at the ticket office when they tried to book yesterday. Perhaps CAST should think about taking it out of the club's hands?

The digs aren't even veiled anymore!

It is a privilege that the club run this more than a necessity.
  • shirty5 said:

Rang the Ticket Office as I was told to do this morning only to be advised that the coach is already full! After protest, they have said there is the possibility of an extra coach and will ring me back if this is arranged. Suggest that anyone hoping to use Valley Away, and not booked their seat, that they get on to the ticket office straight away.

From that and the news on the clubs website it appears that that they are only running one coach per route per away game. The club clearly don't want to lose any money on any travel, and IMO see at as an inconvenience.

Someone could make a nice little bit of beer money if they decided to run their own coach service to away games.
    You're not allowed to drink on coaches.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Six days to the Derby game - no details of coach times, pick-ups, no mention anywhere that I've seen. Stalwart travellers turned away at the ticket office when they tried to book yesterday. Perhaps CAST should think about taking it out of the club's hands?

I presume you don't use Valley Away ?

I really, really, really, do not understand, why some of our supporters seem so content, to see the extremely poor "services" currently on offer re S/T's, match tickets, entry into the ground, programmes and coach travel.

I can only presume, that the majority, do not follow the club passionately, to all the home games and most of the away games.

It would appear, that the people that generally show the most concern, are the one's that are "always there" and always will be.

I suppose I wouldn't give a toss if I didn't regularly use the above supporting the team I love.
    It's because not everyone is being affected by these things , I got my season ticket on time bought a friend a ticket no problem for the qpr game,
    got into the ground fine twice and didn't see no one struggle around me and also managed to get tickets and programs fine for QPR and Dagenham.
    My only problem so far is the fact the names aren't on the big screen instead of highlights, it's always the same fans moaning on here.
  • bobcafc7 said:

Dazzler21 said:

I presume you don't use Valley Away ?

I really, really, really, do not understand, why some of our supporters seem so content, to see the extremely poor "services" currently on offer re S/T's, match tickets, entry into the ground, programmes and coach travel.

I can only presume, that the majority, do not follow the club passionately, to all the home games and most of the away games.

It would appear, that the people that generally show the most concern, are the one's that are "always there" and always will be.

I suppose I wouldn't give a toss if I didn't regularly use the above supporting the team I love.
    It's because not everyone is being affected by these things , I got my season ticket on time bought a friend a ticket no problem for the qpr game,
    got into the ground fine twice and didn't see no one struggle around me and also managed to get tickets and programs fine for QPR and Dagenham.
    My only problem so far is the fact the names aren't on the big screen instead of highlights, it's always the same fans moaning on here.
    So, you agree with me. It's a case of I'm alright Jack.
  • Can anyone think of a reason why it was not possible for the club to give details of the coach arrangements - or even that there would be a service and when those arrangements would be available - on its website until three days before the Derby game or in the preceding weekend's programme?

Even if there was some technical reason they couldn't take bookings, why wouldn't you manage the situation by putting out information?
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll try and find out. I have a contact with the owner of DJ coaches.
  • Can anyone think of a reason why it was not possible for the club to give details of the coach arrangements - or even that there would be a service and when those arrangements would be available - on its website until three days before the Derby game or in the preceding weekend's programme?

Even if there was some technical reason they couldn't take bookings, why wouldn't you manage the situation by putting out information?

1) Perhaps too much time is being spent on other things that those running the club are more interested in or which might make a bigger return.

2) They are keen get out of this commitment so are deliberately neglecting it so supporters step in and take it over.

3) They simply don't have the staff to cope with early season workload.

4) It's yet another example of failure to plan, lack of understanding of importance and impact and general failure to be able to organise a session in a brewery.

I'm going for 4). Perhaps we will get another lukewarm apology and then a marketing message about something they are managing to do well. There appears to be a strong correlation between back-room cock-ups and the team winning......

1) Perhaps too much time is being spent on other things that those running the club are more interested in or which might make a bigger return.

2) They are keen get out of this commitment so are deliberately neglecting it so supporters step in and take it over.

3) They simply don't have the staff to cope with early season workload.

4) It's yet another example of failure to plan, lack of understanding of importance and impact and general failure to be able to organise a session in a brewery.

I'm going for 4). Perhaps we will get another lukewarm apology and then a marketing message about something they are managing to do well. There appears to be a strong correlation between back-room cock-ups and the team winning......
    Good news is we're going to win the league then!

Do you plan on travelling to Derby by one of these coaches ?
  • Ticket Office have rung me back this morning and all booked up on extra coach but have to buy my match ticket at ground as deadline for sending out was yesterday!
  • PL54 said:

Can anyone think of a reason why it was not possible for the club to give details of the coach arrangements - or even that there would be a service and when those arrangements would be available - on its website until three days before the Derby game or in the preceding weekend's programme?

Do you plan on travelling to Derby by any means ?

I'm going by train.
    No, I'm away this weekend

But I'm not moaning about coaches I am not going to be using either
  • PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Can anyone think of a reason why it was not possible for the club to give details of the coach arrangements - or even that there would be a service and when those arrangements would be available - on its website until three days before the Derby game or in the preceding weekend's programme?

Do you plan on travelling to Derby by any means ?

I'm going by train.
    No, I'm away this weekend

But I'm not moaning about coaches I am not going to be using either
    No you are moaning on a thread about the coaches that you will not be going on!
  • Not a single moan at my end (as usual) - just a question