Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comparisons to Tony Watt Watt Watt

Who was the last player we had who was as exciting and as direct on the ball as him going forward?

Struggling to think of any similar Charlton forward in my time following, Steve Jones to a lesser degree, but can't think of others

Comments

• Pringle. Though he was a bit more awkward
  • Mendonca?
  • Chris Dickson
  • Bent, before him hunt, before him mendonca , before him flash and killer
  • Pringle maybe, but not seen play similarities with any of the others listed (never saw Flash)
  • The Wayne Rooney of the Championship.
  • edited August 2015
    Flash was a totally different class though only really only shone when killer was sold...I remember him against Cambridge once (I think it was them ), we were attacking the covered end, he had his back to the goal and surrounded by opposition players and he turned on a sixpence and 'placed' the ball in the back of the net...if we had a solid defence to go along with killer, flash and paddy we would have been unstoppable (in those days at least)...
  • Gordon Watson ish
  • Sponsored links:

• Paul Williams like maybe
  • In my lifetime I don't think we've had anyone who I could completely compare him with. Closest is Bent in terms of technical ability/ movement.
  • Paul Williams like maybe

I concur Willo used to ruffle up defences.
  • Robert Lee
  • I think Graham Stuart had lots of his qualities.
  • Rob Lee, Paul Walsh, Paddy Powell. All a long time ago.
  • Saw him make his debut and could see straight away that we had ourselves a very special player. Quite unique in terms of style, but if pushed, I would say a cross between Gorden Watson and Paul Walsh. Mate who was with me said he reminded him of Ally Mcoist
  • Saw him make his debut and could see straight away that we had ourselves a very special player. Quite unique in terms of style, but if pushed, I would say a cross between Gorden Watson and Paul Walsh. Mate who was with me said he reminded him of Ally Mcoist

Och aye the noo!!
  • Sponsored links:

• He can twist players inside out. And he is still only 21!
  • He is a maverick - fantastic option. This was a team that hasn't played fully together so it is very exciting what it can achieve and having a player like Watt is the icing on the cake.
  • edited August 2015
    1989cafc said:

Robert Lee

Agreed. He is very much like a young Robert Lee, whose strength was turning an opponent and then weaving into the area.

The only other Charlton player Watt reminds me of, is the great Allan Simonsen. Not necessarily for his style of play (Simmo could score every type of goal bar headers) but for the way he excites the crowd because something MIGHT happen and gets Charlton on the front foot. We rarely play well if Tony Watt has a quiet day.

As for his style, Tony looks as if he'll be a striker that prefers running with or onto the ball. He doesn't (at the moment) look as though he's got the knack of being in the right place for 6 yard finishes (with head or foot), like say Mendonca, Hales, Hunt, Bent or Melrose. If he develops that ability too.....then we'd better enjoy him while we have him!! He's by far the most exciting player I've seen play for Charlton I think since Simonsen. I loved watching others play (like Humphrey and Hunt) but more for their pure ability to do the right things at the right time, whereas Watt excites me.

PS...as an aside for our younger viewers; there were really three Robert Lee incarnations; first was the aforementioned young,raw pacey striker; second was a hard-working, talented right-midfielder with a rocket shot (a bit like Gudmonsson) and third was Newcastle's very comfortable centre-midfielder, who was so good England finally capped him.
  • Closest I can think of is Jerome Thomas in the 6-12 months he was bothered in the sense he gets ppl off there seats as soon as he gets the ball. The key to this whole season is keeping/getting him fit and keeping him happy. At moment he's now looking like fulfilling the immense potential he had when he broke through for Celtic at 17.
  • I was about to say Jerome Thomas too. When he fancied going at teams he beat players at will
  • Not so much the style of play, but we were saying yesterday that Watt is a less mad version of Paolo di Canio
  • Have to say I have liked Watt from the first time I watched him. He has a gift when it comes to going past players and a great first touch.

Doesn't pay like a 21 year old at all

I honestly think we have a premiership potential player in there - just needs to keep his head down and listen to those around him.
  • He's not the messiah"
  • Parker had his moments.
  • As others have said, when he's on fire you know he is going to make something happen. I've felt this since he started with us and you can tell he gets off with the buzz from the crowd as well. A joy to watch him.