Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Different Season Ticket Slant

edited August 2015 in General Charlton
I actually have season tickets!

My problem is that one of my tickets is for my daughter who no longer lives locally and, as a youngster, often makes a last minute decision as to whether or not she can attend.

In the past I have simply passed her ticket to another friend or relative of the same age category without problem.

However now we have our "self serve" ticket cards which I am literally sweating in fear about having to try to use in a few hours as I type.

Condition 4 of the terms and conditions states: Season tickets are NON transferrable. Should a season ticket holder not be available to attend a match & wish a colleague/friend to attend then the season ticket holder is to attend the ticket office. We will arrange for a paper ticket to be collected. This arrangement cannot be processed on match-day. The season ticket holder shall be deemed responsible for the behaviour of the 3rd party using the paper ticket.

I am livid about this having spent £300 or whatever on my daughter's ticket. Why the hell cannot I bring someone else along if my daughter is unable to attend? The Club has my money so there is no financial loss to them whatsoever.

I strongly feel that this club wants rid of long standing fans the way it is conducting itself at present.

Am I alone in considering this unreasonable?

Yes I know I should have read the terms and conditions before purchasing even though they were not readily available before some clever dick says as much!

Today is a case in point. I now have to attend on my own as it is a match day and nothing can be done.

Charlton Athletic now seem to want to dictate the lives of people and make them plan their leisure time to the nth degree.

If you are happy with that buy a season ticket. If not do not and learn from my mistake!

Comments

• Mate, take along who you want. I'm sure the small print always included something like this in the past but we are not Arsenal so don't sweat it. If someone else uses it I'd be amazed if the club causes you and aggro
  • Think that condition has always been there tbh. I wouldn't worry
  • I am with Len, pathetic T&C.
  • edited August 2015
    Wouldn't sweat it Len. There's no way of matching the named individual (your daughter) to the season ticket at the point of entry and as long as you're taking someone in of the same age category you're not doing anything to the detriment of the club's finances. This is simply not worth the club's administrators spending the time and energy to police and I expect they would only look to enact the small print if there was a good reason to do so, like if someone did seriously misbehave.
  • I'm sure it'll be fine
  • Think that condition has always been there tbh. I wouldn't worry

Don't think so. It used to be, and then the club changed it to allow us to bring along fellow home fans. Can't remember exactly when though - after we got relegated from the Prem maybe? @Airman Brown was this during your tenure?

• See there's no financial loss, but there's no financial gain, either... (Cynical hat on at the moment sorry all).

But yeah, take anyone else along in the same age category, it'll be fine*.

*(Don't take my word for it it's not my fault when the rozzers show up at your door)
  • As above, pretty sure that has always been in the T+C's. I have never paid attention to it before and never had an issue. Ignore it and take who you want. I doubt it would even be picked up if it was an adult.
  • Hopefully enough people will get the chance to relax and enjoy the game despite all the ticket aggro and worries!
  • Just looked at last years ticket book. Exactly the same clause was in it last year.

Don't understand why people are suddenly fretting over this. When you scan your ticket assuming it is valid and the system is working, the screen will say enter and that will be that.

If you are using someone else in the same age brackets' ticket you aren't going to get tasered!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2015
    Not a problem Len, Very much doubt it would be followed up
  • Just looked at last years ticket book. Exactly the same clause was in it last year.

Don't understand why people are suddenly fretting over this. When you scan your ticket assuming it is valid and the system is working, the screen will say enter and that will be that.

If you are using someone else in the same age brackets' ticket you aren't going to get tasered!

Retina scans are the way forward.

• No different to an oyster card. Unless it starts beeping like a kids pass with an adult using it then no one will notice
  • EU ruling 728/F6 - 9 makes it illegal to transfer a ticket.

What can you do?

That was revoked in March of this year.

• Addickted said:

EU ruling 728/F6 - 9 makes it illegal to transfer a ticket.

What can you do?

That was revoked in March of this year.

Not revoked, replaced by version 10 that also increased expenses for MEPs but they earn it
  • edited August 2015
    I tried a Diffferent Season Ticket Slant, but the scanning machine on the turnstyle rejected it and wouldn't let me in!
  • A few years ago the club positively encouraged you to give you your season ticket to someone else if you couldn't make it, provided that that someone didn't support the opposition. That is how I ended up being a Charlton supporter: someone giving me his ticket because he couldn't go. Charlton is seriously addictive, or it was in those days, and I was hooked. This sort of thing is now discouraged. I know I'm not the only one who became a supporter that way, so I can only assume the club would prefer not to have more support.
  • Having said all that, maybe it is just a law the club has to follow, and it probably won't be a problem if the club only requires that you have a valid ticket in the right age group.
  • Sponsored links:

• A few years ago the club positively encouraged you to give you your season ticket to someone else if you couldn't make it, provided that that someone didn't support the opposition. That is how I ended up being a Charlton supporter: someone giving me his ticket because he couldn't go. Charlton is seriously addictive, or it was in those days, and I was hooked. This sort of thing is now discouraged. I know I'm not the only one who became a supporter that way, so I can only assume the club would prefer not to have more support.

That's how I got roped in too. Although it was a £10 upgrade of my mates kid's ticket for a Monday night game. 13 years later........
  • edited August 2015
    Tickets were transferable for about 15 years, because we changed the rules to make them so, as described in Airman Brown in the new issue of VOTV.

What I hadn't realised is that in the 2013/14 and 2014/15 books the club stated BOTH that tickets ARE transferable (in the terms and conditions) AND that they are NOT transferable (in the ground regulations) ...

The reason for this is likely to be that the League issues model ground regulations and evidently in 2013 someone just cut and pasted them instead of making them consistent with the Ts and Cs, as we had in previous years. I doubt if it was a decision - just a cock-up.

The change this year is about collecting data, but there's no chance whatsoever of it being enforced, so I wouldn't worry about it. It has nothing to do with the law to my knowledge.
  • Dropped my wallet in an airport in France. Had my season ticket in it. Have to pay for a £10 replacement. If it was still paper booklets it would have been on my shelf at home. RD out!
  • What about the previously possible paying to upgrade an u18s season ticket for entry on the day?

Now impossible?
  • Huskaris said:

Dropped my wallet in an airport in France. Had my season ticket in it. Have to pay for a £10 replacement. If it was still paper booklets it would have been on my shelf at home. RD out!

Why didn't you just leave it on the same shelf as before and pick it up as and when going to the game?
  • Don't do it. You are breaking the law.
    If you can live with your actions, then so be it.
  • edited September 2015
    Think we must have copied these rules from the likes of Man Utd. Where season tickets are hard to come by. Therefore they are sold onto friends and relatives, rather than given back to the club. They had an amnesty a few years back where they said they would let people keep their seat if they owned up to it not being in their name. This was largely so they could ensure they were marketing to the right people. I think their records showed they something like 40 people over 100 years old as season ticket holders. Where grandad had passed away and the family kept re-newing his name !

Hardly an issue for us .
  • Think we must have copied these rules from the likes of Man Utd. Where season tickets are hard to come by. Therefore they are sold onto friends and relatives, rather than given back to the club. They had an amnesty a few years back where they said they would let people keep their seat if they owned up to it not being in their name. This was largely so they could ensure they were marketing to the right people. I think their records showed they something like 40 people over 100 years old as season ticket holders. Where grandad had passed away and the family kept re-newing his name !

Hardly an issue for us .

We do have an old fan base though.
  • Don't do it. You are breaking the law.
    If you can live with your actions, then so be it.

In the words of John McEnroe 'You cannot be serious!'
  • Think we must have copied these rules from the likes of Man Utd. Where season tickets are hard to come by. Therefore they are sold onto friends and relatives, rather than given back to the club. They had an amnesty a few years back where they said they would let people keep their seat if they owned up to it not being in their name. This was largely so they could ensure they were marketing to the right people. I think their records showed they something like 40 people over 100 years old as season ticket holders. Where grandad had passed away and the family kept re-newing his name !

Hardly an issue for us .

It was that 1800 were actually dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2397623.stm