Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Am I the only one?

2»

Comments

• Looking forward to see you too and all our Charlton friends and especially looking forward to the Valley Cafe.
  • People who know me will know if you split me in half I have CAFC written through me but for the life of me I can't get excited about tomorrow or the up and coming season?? I remember when I used to look forward to a reserve fixture on a Tuesday afternoon at Welling! I can't believe I might have lost the bug? Anyone else been in my boat in the past?

I know exactly what you mean Terry. I used to be home/away/reserves. For me the events of the last year or so have jaded me a little, but to be honest I suspect getting older and having a family (and a baby daughter) has moved my priorities round a bit. I dare say when I'm at the Valley tomorrow soaking it all up again I'll feel right at home and wonder what the hell I did for the last few weeks.

That's assuming I can get in, of course.

• I'm really looking forward to the season and feel, as usual quite hopeful. Even though I hadn't heard of any of the new players before they came to us, I can see that our squad has been improved and with the long term signing of Cousins and the staggering re-signing of Gudmundsson, there is a real chance of a top six finish. We may struggle for a month or so whilst the squad bonds but maybe we will hit the ground running.

In my 40 years supporting the club, players, managers and owners have all come and gone. Some I've liked, a few dis-liked and a lot I haven't had much feeling for at all. Obviously there have been heroes, Derek Hales, Johnnie Jackson and Chrissy being my top three. Which brings me to new owner. It seems to me that after a really awful start ( I'm only just getting over the Chriss and Yann fiasco), he has put the club in a much better position and feel fortunate for it. I'm really impressed with our Chief Executive and believe that she is working hard for both us and the club.

So I can't wait to be at the football tomorrow with my dad, sister, nephews and my kids. Its where the family can meet up and share a common experience. I'm friendly with all the season ticket holders around me and I like the fact that we all feel the joy and pain together. Having this quite unfathomable bond to a football club really is a wonderful thing!

Lastly, without doubt, my best moment of the last 3 seasons was Jacksons last minute goal against QPR. It still gives me goose bumps when I watch it or think about it and I can't adequately put into words what it was like, but anyone who was there will know where I'm coming from.
    For me that's what being a real football fan is all about......those moments.
    COYR
  • I'm not normally ready for the first game of the season, but with the Ashes in the urn bag, I feel I can devote myself to Charlton - looking forward to it.
  • I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. More than recent seasons in fact. COYR!!!
  • I'm the opposite - for the last few years I really couldn't be bothered, to the point of nearly not renewing (if it wasn't the only thing my dad and I do together, I probably would have let the STs slip a year or two back), but for some reason, I am excited for the first time in a long time for tomorrow...let's hope that enthusiasm is still there at 5pm...
  • I've had a few seasons of not being overly fussed by Charlton and football in general, but this season I cannot wait! Back to The Valley, then Match of the Day with the new Football League Show on Channel 5 (bye bye Manish!) - feel like my love has been rekindled!
  • I've completely lost my enthusiasm. First in very long time I've not got a S/T. Obviously I want us to have a great season etc,etc. In all honesty football just doesn't tick the boxes for me anymore.
  • edited August 2015

People who know me will know if you split me in half I have CAFC written through me but for the life of me I can't get excited about tomorrow or the up and coming season?? I remember when I used to look forward to a reserve fixture on a Tuesday afternoon at Welling! I can't believe I might have lost the bug? Anyone else been in my boat in the past?

Same as me. It will go once the sun has dissappeared!

I think not knowing who any of these new players are is playing a big part.
  • I am on holiday in France right now and will be following the game online tomorrow with hopefully a smile on my face and will be missing the chat from those around me and the sheer buzz of the valley and yes I remember Jackson goal against them 2 seasons ago and what better a start than a great atmospheric game with hopefully a good turnout, a better team than last year and why not a win? Just being there at kick off ....what is not to like.
  • Sponsored links:

• Never lost that magic feeling of a new season, hope and expectation etc.

1970/71 was my first season, a lot of hopes and expectations have been and gone
    but still love coming back for more.
  • The unthinkable has happened and I'm not gagging for it or buzzing with anticipation , gutted I feel this way and I hold the Belgian experiment to count for this and yes I know they've done wonderful things for us and my thoughts are somewhat illogical

As I've bored off before it's just the kids brainwashing that is keeping me going atm
    Taking 3 of them tomorrow although 2 (7 and 5 year old)aren't really that keen to go !

In spite of my general apathy to the freak show of Charlton I'm stupid enough to have booked me and 3 of my boys and nephew up for a visit to Derby next week

As Threadkiller says there's love and hate there for Charlton and what they do to you
    Aaaaaaaah
  • The unthinkable has happened and I'm not gagging for it or buzzing with anticipation , gutted I feel this way and I hold the Belgian experiment to count for this and yes I know they've done wonderful things for us and my thoughts are somewhat illogical

As I've bored off before it's just the kids brainwashing that is keeping me going atm
    Taking 3 of them tomorrow although 2 (7 and 5 year old)aren't really that keen to go !

In spite of my general apathy to the freak show of Charlton I'm stupid enough to have booked me and 3 of my boys and nephew up for a visit to Derby next week

As Threadkiller says there's love and hate there for Charlton and what they do to you
    Aaaaaaaah

I'm definitely younger than you, at 23 with no kids, so it may not be too relevant... BUT

Personally, for me this year, I'm a bit disappointed I wont be able to season ticket it again. I'm tempted to get one after the first few games, but I should have 6 months of Sundays booked up soon - which was originally meant to be Saturdays, hence no Season Ticket.

I am absolutely thrilled to know that the season kicksoff again in a matter of 12 and a half hours!

As I mentioned in another thread, I fecked off to Brighton for the weekend, but may get the Thameslink down to London Bridge and catch the match just to come back for the evening! If there's no stream available, and I'm not too hungover in the morning, then that's my plan!
  • I'm buzzing, stopping myself getting ready to get to the spoons early.
  • edited August 2015
    se9addick said:

In my heart of hearts I wish we'd signed some players I've heard of, but I'm sure I'll get to know them quickly.

Actually forget that, I can't bloody wait !
  • You know it's a math day when you wake up at 8 instead of having a lie in!
  • 2+2=Football
  • I'm absolutely buzzing for this game, I cannot remember being so excited for a season opener.

Give that 5 minutes of sustained QPR pressure at the beginning of the game and the depression will soon set in ;)
  • I'm absolutely buzzing for this game, I cannot remember being so excited for a season opener.

Give that 5 minutes of sustained QPR pressure at the beginning of the game and the depression will soon set in ;)

You got your 5 minutes of sustained pressure and more, do not get depressed