Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Am I the only one?

People who know me will know if you split me in half I have CAFC written through me but for the life of me I can't get excited about tomorrow or the up and coming season?? I remember when I used to look forward to a reserve fixture on a Tuesday afternoon at Welling! I can't believe I might have lost the bug? Anyone else been in my boat in the past?

Comments

• I am not as excited as usual but I put that down to not having a season ticket for the first time in over 20 years. :(
  • Yup, Ive also been there, but don't worry once you get to sit on THE Sofa it will all come rushing back for you.
  • There is a point for all normal people when it stops ruling your life and becomes part of it, then according to your lifestyle, that part becomes, smaller, kids and wife, or larger, kids and wife gone ! So, yes it's an ebb and flow thing.
  • Must admit the season ticket fiasco has soured the first game for me. Don't know enough about the new signings to be excited about them either.
  • No season ticket for the first time in years but- I think we will shock a few ! got my bet on 14/1 for promotion £20, and of course when my son isn't playing on a Saturday I will be there. I think the bug will be rekindled for many this season.
  • There is a point for all normal people when it stops ruling your life and becomes part of it, then according to your lifestyle, that part becomes, smaller, kids and wife, or larger, kids and wife gone ! So, yes it's an ebb and flow thing.

Sums it up nicely there Ralph...I'll go when I haven't much else on, unfortunatly that seems to be less and less as the seasons pass.....BUT as long as Charlton are playing a game they will never be far from my thoughts.
  • I'm the other way around... I cant wait for the season to start yet come April I just want the season to end sometimes
  • Totally agree Ralph people will know my son plays for the Acadamy and last week I made my way up to Peterborough for a friendly and Southend last Saturday I felt more excited about them! I've been a season ticket holder for a straight 29 years and yes I have renewed it for this season (even though it hasn't arrived) but I'm not flapping about it and I don't know why???
  • In my heart of hearts I wish we'd signed some players I've heard of, but I'm sure I'll get to know them quickly.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am up for a WIN tomorrow, a defeat and I will be well down.
  • Absolutely buzzing. I'm even looking forward to Brighton vs Forest; which if not for the opening game of the league, would be a horrendously dull game
  • edited August 2015
    I cant wait :) been warming my vocal chords up for days now!
  • Totally agree Ralph people will know my son plays for the Acadamy and last week I made my way up to Peterborough for a friendly and Southend last Saturday I felt more excited about them! I've been a season ticket holder for a straight 29 years and yes I have renewed it for this season (even though it hasn't arrived) but I'm not flapping about it and I don't know why???

Think about what you're going to be doing in the few minutes before kick off. Picture yourself walking to the ground. Making your usual, normal route to the stadium. That's when the anticipation will kick in. Imagine what your normal pre-match routine is - and will be tomorrow: either polishing off the last pint; dodging the horse shit in Floyd Road; smelling the rancid burgers; buying the programme; making your way to your seat.

Listen to the Red, Red Robin; watch the players walk out of the tunnel; see the gleaming red shirts contrasting with the immaculate green grass; hear the crowd pulling itself into noisy anticipation. Watch as YOUR team sets up; YOUR fans cheer them on; and the ref blows the whistle to start YOUR team's season.

If the butterflies don't start by then, they never will.

I guarantee they will.
  • Really up for the first game of the season. Always have been. Always will be.
  • Because of work when Pardew and Parkinson were managers, i missed so many games (lucky me)
    The season when we got relegated to League 1, i only saw 5 home games and we lost the lot ! Now compare that to last season when i saw about 40 including
    Pre season to Spain with my son, in Mid July and U21 games + The U18 final against Brentford at the end. So ebb and flow in terms of how many games i watch but for me, The love i have for CAFC is Absolute, and the emotional rollercoaster i feel during a game is as intense now as it was when i was a young lad. Maybe like me Relationships have failed, but CAFC is my Craic/Crack and i'm Charlton till i die. The main problem for most of us is we collect too much Baggage from the off field issues which can effect our thoughts.
  • I hear you Tel, and very similar myself. The three aspects for me is Charlton changing as a club, my general love of football going through a period of complete erosion, and other things impacting on my life.

How much weight is attached to each one I really can't answer.
  • I'm the opposite....more excited about this season than I have been for a while

really think we're gonna surprise a few

I'm with Eltham... COYR's.

but then I feel this way every year.
  • Generally I'm the same AFKA but I must say that I'm looking forward to tomorrow (not that I'm in possession of any means of actually getting into the ground yet). I considered blowing it off when my season ticket didn't come but really didn't like that idea and found that it took considering not going to make me realise that I was actually quite excited about it.
  • I hear ya ... I'm not bothering ... heading over 51st State Festival
  • Sponsored links:

• I love Charlton but I also hate them at the same time
  • Walking to the station this morning it dawned on me that not only is today Friday, but that at that time tomorrow I'd be getting up and getting ready to head to The Valley.

Big smile on my face all day today :)
  • as always I am very much looking forward to the new season and to seeing all the new players ... with the caveat that I just wish that more new boys were English
  • Someone starts this thread every two or three months, so the answer is pretty categorically 'no'.
  • I felt that way last Season. So I stopped going to the first team games. I really missed it and am looking forward to Saturday and going to see the U21 and U 18s.
  • Me and my daughter are really looking forward to the new season.
  • I'm looking foward to seeing you and your daughter @Mosscat :-)