Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Driving

2»

Comments

• What's your favourite London Road there are some corkers around, you have the the road under suicide bridge in Highgate, the view from shooters hill, the drive upto and around Alexander palace

Then you have the drive through Richmond Park

Plumstead High St is always entertaining
  • For those who enjoy driving in Scotland I saw this yesterday... Know its only been around two months but never saw anything advertised when it was brought out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3185226/Scotland-s-answer-America-s-Route-66-named-six-coastal-road-trips-world.html

Maybe England should release something similar to Norway where they've a couple of tourist roads link up etc... (a link to the Norwegian one can be found on one of my earlier posts on this thread)
  • edited August 2015
    The nearly 500 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway through the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia and North Carolina is a superb run. Only snag is the silly speed limits which mean you have to set aside a few days to do it and the adjacent sites justice.

Edited to add: The song lied. The Trail of the Lonesome Pine - haa! - there's millions upon millions of them!
  • I've not driven the journey, but I did back pack across New Zealand and Thailand with our journeys all being on the coaches......absolutely beautiful scenery, especially through the mountains. Far better than jumping on the 54 to Charlton!
  • I've not driven the journey, but I did back pack across New Zealand and Thailand with our journeys all being on the coaches......absolutely beautiful scenery, especially through the mountains. Far better than jumping on the 54 to Charlton!

First year I went to New Zealand I chose to use their three scenic train lines to get around the majority of the country... On the last leg from Greymouth to Queenstown (via a stopover in Fox Glacier) I was due to get the coach yet last minute decided to Hire a Car and was by far the best part of the trip, I later caught a coach from Queenstown back to Christchurch and definitely wasnt as good.

Went back the next year and despite only going to the South Island I drove the whole time, sadly the poor weather ruined the trip but would do it again in a heartbeat.

To anyone going to New Zealand unless they're really restricted by time I'd always say Hire a Car as isn't overly expensive (about £200 for seven days) over getting the coach anywhere, only draw back is that its a big area so you would need to do a LOT of driving and due to the twisty roads (especially on the South Island) it is time consuming because you have to allow for the extra time but so worth it with that scenery for company
  • Another great drive, which I shall be making on Sunday week, is the N266, north of Monchique, here in Algarve - stunning!
  • The Big Sur too on a drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles and thoroughly recommend Monterrey and Hearst Castle at San Simeon;through the Canadian Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver;Glencoe in Scotland;the Icefields Parkway from Jasper to Banff in Alberta;and,when you can get there,most French motorways.
    (Best ferry journey was from Tsawwassen south of Vancouver to Schwarz Bay on Vancouver Island).
  • Did Kiruna to Malmo in Sweden in 23 hours. Total 1150 miles. Anything to escape those damned mosquitoes :smile:

Another road I always enjoy is the Pickering to Robin Hood's Bay route over Fylingdale's Moor

Millau Viaduct on the motorway in Southern France is something special to experience too with stunning views.
  • Another great drive, which I shall be making on Sunday week, is the N266, north of Monchique, here in Algarve - stunning!

Another great drive, which I shall be making on Sunday week, is the N266, north of Monchique, here in Algarve - stunning!

Done that when we went to the Algarve...back in the early nineties...upto Odemira and then back down to Cabo Sao Vicente....Worlds End...and back along the coast to Albufeira.