Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Driving

Seeing that many of us comment under "General Things that Annoy You" over irritating driving, I thought that I would create a thread dedicated to driving, after all there is one for Bikers and one for Cyclists so why not one for those who love being behind the wheel of a car... Guessing many are reading this thinking it wont last long before the thread desends into anarchy over motoring offences

To me though driving isnt just about getting from A to B (am not a petrol head) whilst trying to avoid some of the poorer (Am being polite) drivers on the road and wonder if there is anyone else out there who has done a Road trip or two somewhere and whether there are any good roads / areas (Especially here in the UK) that can be recommended (NOT the M25 for some of our more sarcastic members).

Few example (with links where possible) for some of the roads I've had the pleasure to drive along

New Zealand
Milford Road Link/ Arthurs Pass Link/ Highway 6 / Crown Range Road Link

Switzerland
Furka Pass Link / Grimsel Pass Link

England
Snake Pass Link / Mam Tor Link

Comments

• Australia
    Great Ocean Road (no link - google it!)
  • Seeing that many of us comment under "General Things that Annoy You" over irritating driving, I thought that I would create a thread dedicated to driving, after all there is one for Bikers and one for Cyclists so why not one for those who love being behind the wheel of a car... Guessing many are reading this thinking it wont last long before the thread desends into anarchy over motoring offences

To me though driving isnt just about getting from A to B (am not a petrol head) whilst trying to avoid some of the poorer (Am being polite) drivers on the road and wonder if there is anyone else out there who has done a Road trip or two somewhere and whether there are any good roads / areas (Especially here in the UK) that can be recommended (NOT the M25 for some of our more sarcastic members).

Few example (with links where possible) for some of the roads I've had the pleasure to drive along

New Zealand

Switzerland

England

Lovely drive that...over the Grimsel Pass.
  • Spain - the road between Jerez and Algeciras. Really quiet motorway, wonderful views. But I would still rather someone else drove me.
  • Seeing that many of us comment under "General Things that Annoy You" over irritating driving, I thought that I would create a thread dedicated to driving, after all there is one for Bikers and one for Cyclists so why not one for those who love being behind the wheel of a car... Guessing many are reading this thinking it wont last long before the thread desends into anarchy over motoring offences

New Zealand

Switzerland

England

Is proper driving... I've always used a manual car and hate going on to Motorways because your car instantly becomes an automatic (provided there is no traffic), moment your on the country roads or driving a pass you've got to be alert the whole time with your speed / gear changes etc...

Helps as well that I love Landscape Photography so the two usually combine perfectly
  • A896 in the Scottish Highlands, down Glen Torridon. Really quiet, stunning view down to the sea/loch, best driving to be had in the UK IMO
  • Antrim Coast Road. Done it a few times. Stunning.
    Did a long road trip in NZ. Pretty good too!
  • I decided to take a drive from Dingle to a place called Slea Head in Kerry last year while my hubby was walking last year. I did not enjoy that at all.. far too narrow to pass cars at some points and you had to reverse round winding mountain roads so a car could pass you. Far too stressful to enjoy the views. I think at one stage I was so frightened at damaging the car, I closed my eyes and squealed as I stopped to let someone scrape past me.. "welcome to Kerry" this old Irish man yelled at me as he went past laughing his head off at my fear.

Not nice, I turned round when I could and went back.
  • A few years ago the plan was to drive some of the Norway Tourist Roads... http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en - I will get round to it one day

New Zealand

Switzerland

England

Is proper driving... I've always used a manual car and hate going on to Motorways because your car instantly becomes an automatic (provided there is no traffic), moment your on the country roads or driving a pass you've got to be alert the whole time with your speed / gear changes etc...

Helps as well that I love Landscape Photography so the two usually combine perfectly
    I'd rather you separated them to be honest FA... :wink:

New Zealand

Switzerland

England

I'd rather you separated them to be honest FA... :wink:
    Haha its the beauty of driving on the South Island in New Zealand... the Cars to Road ratio is so slim you can find yourself driving for an hour before you even come across another vehicle... Meant that it was perfect for me to just stop on the road (safely) take a shot and then get going again, managed it a good few times on Highway 6 :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Always fancied driving the elecric brae in Scotland where it looks like you're going uphill but it's down so you can be 'pulled uphill'.
  • Always fancied driving the elecric brae in Scotland where it looks like you're going uphill but it's down so you can be 'pulled uphill'.

Never heard of that before and just Googled it and looks very strange
  • I seem to be forever stuck on the bloody M25.
  • The e25 and the E5 through Italy towards the mont blanc tunnel and then the first parts of France as you exit are just phenomenal how people can drive that daily and get to their destination on time is beyond me. It's one of the most amazing drives you can do,
  • I haven't been for a few years but I love the drive from Rouen to Le Mans en route to the 24 Hours. Used to take the Route Nationales and go through lovely villages like Gace, stopping off for coffee when the mood took us. Most of the traffic was either other classics or sportscars. May be going again next year, really hope we get it organised.
  • Amalfi coast road about 5 in the morning.

Hardknott and Wrynose in the Lakes again early morning, both ways several times over the years.

• The hardknott/wrynose pass in the lakes, if it doesn't fuck your car up that is
  • edited August 2015
    Curb_It said:

I decided to take a drive from Dingle to a place called Slea Head in Kerry last year while my hubby was walking last year. I did not enjoy that at all.. far too narrow to pass cars at some points and you had to reverse round winding mountain roads so a car could pass you. Far too stressful to enjoy the views. I think at one stage I was so frightened at damaging the car, I closed my eyes and squealed as I stopped to let someone scrape past me.. "welcome to Kerry" this old Irish man yelled at me as he went past laughing his head off at my fear.

Sounds like you went through the Connor Pass imageass
  • Love any drive in Scotland, the views are wonderful, but I would also say the road from Fort William to Mallaig is one of the great drives in the world.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Curb_It said:

I decided to take a drive from Dingle to a place called Slea Head in Kerry last year while my hubby was walking last year. I did not enjoy that at all.. far too narrow to pass cars at some points and you had to reverse round winding mountain roads so a car could pass you. Far too stressful to enjoy the views. I think at one stage I was so frightened at damaging the car, I closed my eyes and squealed as I stopped to let someone scrape past me.. "welcome to Kerry" this old Irish man yelled at me as he went past laughing his head off at my fear.

Sounds like you went through the Connor Pass imageass
    Jesus wept... Would not even want to consider that road
  • seth plum said:

Love any drive in Scotland, the views are wonderful, but I would also say the road from Fort William to Mallaig is one of the great drives in the world.

Right with you there.
  • The section of the m40 when you come through the two I spoke you could call them chalk cliffs and you can see the Oxfordshire country side opening up in front of you,

The Yorkshire dales and jurassic coast from Weymouth to Lyme Regis if you take the coast road not the a roads
  • USA: the Pacific highway. Spend a few days in San Fran, take the Pacific highway down to la, stop off just outside Monterrey CA at a campsite there 5 min walk from a gorgeous prestine sandy beach and watch the sun set into the ocean. One of the nicest things I've ever done.
  • Watergate bay to fistral beach
  • seth plum said:

Love any drive in Scotland, the views are wonderful, but I would also say the road from Fort William to Mallaig is one of the great drives in the world.

Really want to get the Jacobite steam train along there too.

Being a typical Charlton fan, bringing it back to trains.
  • A20 next to Crittals Corner. Absolute racetrack
  • Adelaide Avenue in Brockley
  • What's your favourite London Road there are some corkers around, you have the the road under suicide bridge in Highgate, the view from shooters hill, the drive upto and around Alexander palace

Then you have the drive through Richmond Park