Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options
    The shot he had bounce off his chest was a shocker. That's basic goalkeeping. As for excuses that the ball was wet I don't remember the D & R goalkeeper spilling any. In any case we can't only have a dry ball goalkeeper. I don't care how good he's going to be but right at this moment he's not good enough.
  • Options

The shot he had bounce off his chest was a shocker. That's basic goalkeeping. As for excuses that the ball was wet I don't remember the D & R goalkeeper spilling any. In any case we can't only have a dry ball goalkeeper. I don't care how good he's going to be but right at this moment he's not good enough.

To be fair the D & R 'keeper didn't save many either !
  • Options
    We need another keeper in regardless of whether its in front of or behind Pope.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I think you'll find he was quite busy and not just picking the ball out of his net.

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

Feel sorry for Forest... they get an fine for breaking FFP rules... Queens Park Rangers break the rules, go up to the Premier League and then come back down and get nothing

I don't feel sorry for Forest. They broke the rules. QPR will get theirs.

Will they?
    Yeah, on Saturday.
    You sir were correct!
  • Options

se9addick said:

I think you'll find he was quite busy and not just picking the ball out of his net.

I know...
  • Options
    Having a really good goalkeeper is the difference between winning and losing. Arguably the most important single position in the team. I realise Nick is not number one but I for one don't feel confident he's not going to make a blunder.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Hmmm everyone was certain he'd concede against Charlie Austin (Premier League v League Two level was one quote on here).

Now he's conceded a goal against League Two level people seem determined to state that its his level because he's going to struggle against Premier League level players once again this Saturday.

He's going to concede goals this season thats a given, cant be helped

Read the thread again & you'll see what you've said is not true.

I'd estimate that 50% of the fans are concerned.

Everyone thought he played well against QPR and praised him.

The majority of comments from last night, were that he could hardly hold any shots at below waist level.

Those are the facts.

Nothing to do with Premiership, League 2 or whatever else.
  • Options

Having a really good goalkeeper is the difference between winning and losing. Arguably the most important single position in the team. I realise Nick is not number one but I for one don't feel confident he's not going to make a blunder.

Petr Cech is one of the better keepers around and we all witnessed his cock up! and for the record im not comparing Nick Pope to Cech, the point is every keeper will balls up at some point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can only endorse the fact that if Derby had scouts at the game last night,
    they would tell their players to hit the ball low and at the body of the keeper.
    IF this is a technical fault, then our new Keeper coach needs to help Nick overcome this.
    why wasn't this an issue at York and Bury, where he kept a record amount of clean sheets for those clubs ? Or did he keep getting lucky like last night and no forward got to the ball first ?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    OAndyHunt said:

Personally I am happy to stick with Pope. He has potential to be a Prem Goalkeeper (with us). He needs the manager and fans to stick with him and build his confidence. He does need to work on his kicking though, hes obviously been watching tapes of Deano!

Kiely's kicking was nowhere near as bad as Pope's. They are two players that shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

Pope is OK from crosses and with when it comes to basic catches. Give the ball to his feet and he looks like someone who doesn't even play Football for a living day in and day out. I'm starting to think its the sort of weakness that he might not even be trained out of - he looks that awkward.
  • Options

Petr Cech is one of the better keepers around and we all witnessed his cock up! and for the record im not comparing Nick Pope to Cech, the point is every keeper will balls up at some point.
    Of course you are right. Every goalkeeper makes errors. Nick made four yesterday none of which were punished. He/we got lucky.

His low handling yesterday was not up to scratch. That must be a worry.?

• Options
    Did Pope shag your Mrs Guru? You seem to really hate him
  • Options
    Stephen Henderson who has been great for us, isn't that good on kicking and also does every thing in slow motion which was handy at Norwich when we under siege, but when we were chasing a game he was still slow.
    The difference is Hendo handling have been as good as i've seen at CAFC.
  • Options
    Really good performance today from Pope, the tip over from a rasping shot in the second half was particularly brilliant. Guess I had nothing to worry about !!
  • Options

Would be interested in getting my hands on a copy of this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

CL heresy moment coming up. Hulls equaliser was 100% Nicks fault. Yes he should have expected the player not to be allowed to get his shot off but once he did it's the goalkeepers responsibility to save it. It was hit straight at him and he allowed the ball to bounce off his chest. Nick will be disappointed by that.

I don't care how well he's doing for 89 minutes. If he drops one clanger a game of that magnitude then it will cost us. He did exactly the same thing on three occasions v Daggers but we got away with it.

Yes we all want him to do well. Why wouldn't we but let's not hide the fact that it was a error. If that had been any other GK he would not be getting cut as much slack as Nick Pope is.

Gets tin hat.

Agree he has a technical fault which he must put right quickly,shame because he has been ok in most other arrears and distribution is improving.
  • Options

It barely spilled. The defensive line was so deep that Abel Hernandez could effectively goal hang and that's what he did.

At any other point in the game, that spill doesn't cost us a goal. The defence were tired but it highlights the need to push out as an opponent is taking a shot. We push out, Hernandez is offside.

He does need work in that area but I'd rather focus on his faultless claiming of crosses and (mostly) pinpoint distribution.

"barely spilled" ?????

Is that like being a little bit pregnant ?

• Options

And if that had been any other GK, you would not be giving him as much stick. Did he run over your pet?

If it had been any other 'keeper I'm pretty sure he'd be getting more stick.
  • Options

And if that had been any other GK, you would not be giving him as much stick. Did he run over your pet?

Sorry Weegie but if the ball bounces off any goalkeepers chest then it's an error. I don't care who they are.

All goalkeepers do it. I accept that but it's happening to NP more than it should. That's a fact.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Surely our goalkeeping coach will be working on the chinks in Nicks armour,and make him a better keeper, otherwise what's the point of having one, if he can sort this 'deficiency' out , Of spilling shots, we'll have a really good keeper on our hands.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Yes it spilled which is why I said work needs to be done, to avoid errors in future.

But like I also said, if the defence had pushed out then Hernandez would've got nowhere near that second ball without being offside.

Don't think the blame lies squarely on Nick's shoulders.

Mitigating yes. But. The ball bounced off his chest. That is regardless of anything else in the equation an error.