Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options

Stuart Taylor is training with us.

But people here seem less than impressed with that. I don't personally know anything about him.

• Options
    He's had a long career, mainly as a backup, he played for Leeds at The Valley near the end of last season, looked a bit ring rusty TBH.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Was there last night and the ball did go through Nick's legs, but the guy was unmarked and Pope got nutmegged. (he should have done better)
    He takes crosses fine, Ben Hamer fumbled More.
    The kicking is a minor Problem, Deano couldn't kick and Hamer was the best
    kicker we had.
    The big problem is confidence. Not just his ? but the CAFC fans, and the rest of the team when he makes an error.
    The reason Stephen Henderson is so highly rated by the fans is how calm he is and he always seems to be in the right position. Any of you guys who went to Norwich away when it was like the Alamo at times, Yet he slowed it down and was in charge.
    I saw Taylor play at the valley last season and he doesn't look Championship class.

I said Last week that this month would define if Pope has a career at CAFC, and that it was 50/50, it may just have gone 40/60 against.
  • Options

Pope had a shot go through his legs tonight, let's not blow this out of proportion.

He's in the unfortunate position now where people are remembering stuff that goes wrong, rather than picking out everything else he's achieved in a York, Bury and Charlton shirt. Until he puts in a string of confident performances, people aren't going to change their minds about him. He's got to come out fighting and be ready to prove all the negative nancys wrong.

Let's try our best to focus on what Pope does well and get behind him because he really can be a success with us.

Agree, every keeper will let in goals. Either unstoppable shots or slight errors. I think Pope is capable of pulling off spectacular stops, I think his strength is his reaction time, and that hopefully can balance out any mistakes through nerves.

He definitely has a nerves problem but I'd be prepared to show some patience and if he falls to pieces and can't function at any point he can be pulled. Wait til it happens before writing him off and give some credit for the goals he prevents against any bloopers.

• Options
    edited July 2015

Pope had a shot go through his legs tonight, let's not blow this out of proportion.

He's in the unfortunate position now where people are remembering stuff that goes wrong, rather than picking out everything else he's achieved in a York, Bury and Charlton shirt. Until he puts in a string of confident performances, people aren't going to change their minds about him. He's got to come out fighting and be ready to prove all the negative nancys wrong.

Let's try our best to focus on what Pope does well and get behind him because he really can be a success with us.

Agree, every keeper will let in goals. Either unstoppable shots or slight errors. I think Pope is capable of pulling off spectacular stops, I think his strength is his reaction time, and that hopefully can balance out any mistakes through nerves.

He definitely has a nerves problem but I'd be prepared to show some patience and if he falls to pieces and can't function at any point he can be pulled. Wait til it happens before writing him off and give some credit for the goals he prevents against any bloopers.

That's perfectly sensible and I agree. The question is whether we will have anyone else who can step in and do better if he doesn't function. We had someone but we sent him to Alcorcon.
  • Options
    agim said:

You can't have a shaky mentally week goalkeeper and that's exactly what Pope is. Every cross that comes in I'm worried he's going to fumble it. Maybe too many things have happened at Charlton and he needs a fresh start somewhere?

absolute tosh he was playig behind two dodgy centre halves last season and he was constantly exposed by TBH & BIKEY . Goes to bury , i know a lower level, and was exceptional . he's quality and needs patience i'd rather he made mostakes in pre season friendlies

• Options
    edited July 2015

No, I'm not.

Fair enough, seems crazy to me... but then I don't get how the world doesn't :heart: Reza

p.s That is a joke...
  • Options

agim said:

You can't have a shaky mentally week goalkeeper and that's exactly what Pope is. Every cross that comes in I'm worried he's going to fumble it. Maybe too many things have happened at Charlton and he needs a fresh start somewhere?

absolute tosh he was playig behind two dodgy centre halves last season and he was constantly exposed by TBH & BIKEY . Goes to bury , i know a lower level, and was exceptional . he's quality and needs patience i'd rather he made mostakes in pre season friendlies

He played when TBH and Bikey were playing well!
  • Options
    Problem with having a nervy goalkeeper is that it is the one position that can really throw things out for the entire team. The defence gets nervous, and starts playing hoofball to clear the lines in panic. The midfield get cut out of the game through lack of service, the strikers get nothing to feed off and all the while mistakes add up due to a lack of confidence and cohesion in the team.

This probably sounds a bit melodramatic but when you look at the difference in the overall performances with Henderson in goal compared to any of the younger kids then it's really not that far off. Pope is easily as good a shot stopper/reflexive keeper as Henderson, perhaps even better with time. But there is so much more that a goalkeeper needs to bring to the modern game and if Pope can't bring it to Charlton then we MUST find someone who can. I want him to do well, truly. But with the start we've got and a team of new faces and relative youth then we simply cannot afford the time for our first choice keeper to find his feet. It's nothing personal against Pope, but I just don't think right here and now he's good/confident enough to be our No. 1 goalkeeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's 22 - A toddler in goalkeeping terms

His record at the same age and same level is significantly better than Joe Hart's was

I wouldn't be surprised if the negative comments some of our numpty fans come out with are the reason he is lacking in confidence. Maybe if we were to Sing a song about him being "charltons number 1" it would have the opposite effect and boost him

you can't always compare him to Joe Hart's record though. It's like saying Franny Jeffers was doing a lot better at his age than Ian Wright.
    I agree but it shows that he is clearly not the basket case some people are making him out to be.

I really think we will regret letting him go if we did so now
    yeah I wouldn't let him go either, and to be honest, I think its a lose lose at the minute.

I don't think Pope is ready to start the season as number 1. He does not look confident and with a new defence in front of him, I am really fearful of the start both him and they will make. As I said, I would not get rid and would be happy with him as Number 2 this season.

The best thing for the club is to bring another one in. Not sure Taylor should be that man, but we do need a loanee or something for a month or two to be cover for Hendo. However, that would surely destroy Pope's confidence further. Knowing he is the number 2 but not trusted to cover for the number 1 will not help his development IMO.

This is why it's a lose lose. Playing Pope is probably not the best thing to do for the team, but getting someone in to cover is not good for him as a young player looking to improve.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I think the main question to ask is are we happy with Henderson as our number 1 with the injury problems he has? If we still had Hamer we would know that he would make 95%+ of the games and I would be more than happy with Pope as his backup for the <5% of games where he may be called upon.

Personally I would rather we were shopping for a new #1 who could last a season and have Pope as the backup where he may have to play 2 or 3 games only.

Also, wasn't the decision to let Dmitrovic (sp?) go on loan more a case of needing home grown players for the match day squad where we need 9 home grown players? looking at what could be our strongest matchday squad we have the following:

Henderson (HG)

Solly (HG)
    Fox (HG)
    Bauer
    Sarr

Gudmundsson
    Cousins (HG)
    Ba
    Bergdich

Mak
    Watt

Pope (HG)
    Lennon (HG)
    Jackson (HG)
    Harriott (HG)
    Kashi
    Vetokele
    KAG (HG)

Not sure what other options we have as home grown players? Charles-Cook instead of Harriott / Jackson is the main one I guess and if we get Henry he will be in there.
  • Options
    Chrispy51 said:

I think the main question to ask is are we happy with Henderson as our number 1 with the injury problems he has? If we still had Hamer we would know that he would make 95%+ of the games and I woule be more than happy with Pope as his backup for the

Hamer missed quite a few games in his last season
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Chrispy51 said:

I think the main question to ask is are we happy with Henderson as our number 1 with the injury problems he has? If we still had Hamer we would know that he would make 95%+ of the games and I woule be more than happy with Pope as his backup for the

True, but not all through injury - remember Thuram...
  • Options
    I'm not sure what 'happy with Pope as #2' means. Happy for him to sit on the bench, but never come off it? Happy with him as #2 means happy for him to step in when #1 is injured - which is the scenario.

If not happy with him as #2, then he has to go...no point in him hanging around. Another loan ("all very well in La Liga, but can he cope behind our defence..") won't serve much purpose..same doubts would persist.

Personally i think he has done enough to be given a chance...
  • Options
    Chrispy51 said:

wmcf123 said:

Chrispy51 said:

True, but not all through injury - remember Thuram...
    Alnwick must have played at least 10
  • Options
    Jarman said:

The whole situation is pretty straight forward.
    We have an honest young keeper with plenty of potential who is well short on confidence each time he pulls on a Charlton shirt.

Most fans would recognize that and support him vocally from minute one on the opening day of the season to maximize his confidence and thus his performance too.

Not our fans however, quite the opposite....
    Am fully expecting pelters as soon as Pope misplaces a kick, or fumbles a cross.....

I don't agree mate, I personally have never heard anyone boo or have a go at Nick Pope. As lots of people on here are saying we would all love him to do well. Even on Saturday, I think he kicked a couple straight to the other keeper, certainly no one around me gave him any grief.........I think people (me included) just cant "feel" any confidence in him, as I have said before he looks frightened to death, probably of making a mistake!
    It also MUST go through the team, especially the back four, we need him to do HIS job and help others with his communication. I really don't think it will be fair to keep playing him when he is this short of confidence, although if he is not confident now at the beginning of a new season and has had some decent game time pre season I don't know what the answer is? do we play him and play him and hope he "settles" down or get a more experienced keeper in until Henderson is fit again? Very difficult for the manager I think but at the moment he always looks like he is going to "throw one in to me!"......................
  • Options
    It's not necessarily booing but murmurs and grumbles when a kick goes straight into touch, as opposed to getting behind a player low on confidence which isn't at all helpful.
  • Options

I'm not sure what 'happy with Pope as #2' means. Happy for him to sit on the bench, but never come off it? Happy with him as #2 means happy for him to step in when #1 is injured - which is the scenario.

If not happy with him as #2, then he has to go...no point in him hanging around. Another loan ("all very well in La Liga, but can he cope behind our defence..") won't serve much purpose..same doubts would persist.

Personally i think he has done enough to be given a chance...

I'm happy to have him training with the club, getting match day experience and wouldn't be overly fussed if he has to come on during a game, nor if he plays the odd game. However, if Hendo was ruled out for 2 months say, would rather we got a loanee in then trust Pope. Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    I don't understand the concept of having him on the bench... But not wanting him to play. If a player is good enough to be on the bench then he should be good enough to play in the match when called upon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having been behind the goal when the the ball "went between" Nick's legs it would appear that very few others saw the deflection it took from Harry Lennon about two feet in front of him. I feel it pretty harsh to nail Nick for conceding that one.
  • Options
    Chrispy51 said:

I think the main question to ask is are we happy with Henderson as our number 1 with the injury problems he has? If we still had Hamer we would know that he would make 95%+ of the games and I would be more than happy with Pope as his backup for the

Current rules only need six.. proposed change to 9 for beginning of 16/17 season but not yet confirmed!
  • Options
    Nick Pope is in the process of becoming a very very good goalie. I hope it's with us, but I fear it won't be. He is hugely talented.
  • Options
    if he can get over the stage freight he could be a good keeper but for some reason whenever I see him play for us he is like a rabbit in the headlights.
  • Options
    Is Watt classed as a Home grown player?
  • Options

Is Watt classed as a Home grown player?

Nope, I thought this myself but its only if they came through the Academy at a club under the English or Welsh FA is classed as a home grown player (Wales because of the likes of Cardiff / Swansea etc...) because Scotland is regarded as a foreign country in Footballing terms they're no different to if we signed someone from France or Germany etc...
  • Options
    wickford said:

Having been behind the goal when the the ball "went between" Nick's legs it would appear that very few others saw the deflection it took from Harry Lennon about two feet in front of him. I feel it pretty harsh to nail Nick for conceding that one.

I'm very glad you posted this, as it's important to get to the facts. Thanks.
  • Options
    wickford said:

Good to hear you say that because all the fans who were sitting to the left of the goal like myself, were unaware of that. Plus we had a mini monsoon for 10 minutes which all conspired against Nick. He must play against Bolton and make a judgement then, if he can step up to the Plate, we could have a good keeper for the next 8 years. Fingers crossed because Hendo does seem to be another Wiggins, despite how good he is when he plays.