Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

West Ham

So will they be rivals now they are moving not far from us? we will only have to slip though the pipe to play them now.

Comments

• So will they be rivals now they are moving not far from us? we will only have to slip though the pipe to play them now.

Nope, still north of the river.
  • So will they be rivals now they are moving not far from us? we will only have to slip though the pipe to play them now.

I'll have you know that as a happily married man I have no intention of slipping through the pipe to play away!.

Do you know we play in different leagues?

Would love those fuck faces to get relegated though!
  • edited July 2015
    I'm pretty sure there's not much difference in relation of distance from our ground to their new or current ground.

There new ground is in Stratford what is a stop after West Hams on the tube line from North Greenwich.

I wouldn't worry too much.

I could be wrong thou... according to my girlfriend I am a lot of the time. But I don't believe that!

• I cycle past the Olympic stadium everyday on my way to work.
    It's about 40 minutes from plumstead. The Valley is 12 minutes.
  • Its all whippits and cloth caps up north of the river aint it
  • Sponsored links:

Would love those fuck faces to get relegated though!
    Is us getting promoted your second choice? :wink:
  • "We bought your ground for you"
  • I'm pretty sure there's not much difference in relation of distance from our ground to their new or current ground.

There new ground is in Stratford what is a stop after West Hams on the tube line from North Greenwich.

I could be wrong thou... according to my girlfriend I am a lot of the time. But I don't believe that!

Small but important point of order for train travellers:
    West Ham station is about 2 miles from the Boleyn Ground, about a 30 minute walk, or 2 stops along the district line to Upton Park if you were to change at West Ham. The Stratford statium is a short walk from Stratford on the jubilee line, and from Stratford International making it generally more accessible from Kent and South London.
    (A car journey from the Valley to Stratford would take an extra 10-15 minutes compared to the Boleyn Ground)
  • I live in Stratford. Theres not much danger of me starting a Stratford Charlton Supporters Club anytime soon.
  • seth plum said:

North of the river is Scotland.

but Scotland smells nicer.
  • West Ham are literally in a different league to us.
  • Halix said:

So will they be rivals now they are moving not far from us? we will only have to slip though the pipe to play them now.

I'll have you know that as a happily married man I have no intention of slipping through the pipe to play away!.
    The pipe means the blackwall tunnel. I don't know what your intentions are about this one but they don't sound good
  • edited July 2015

I'm pretty sure there's not much difference in relation of distance from our ground to their new or current ground.

West Ham station is about 2 miles from the Boleyn Ground, about a 30 minute walk, or 2 stops along the district line to Upton Park if you were to change at West Ham. The Stratford statium is a short walk from Stratford on the jubilee line, and from Stratford International making it generally more accessible from Kent and South London.
    (A car journey from the Valley to Stratford would take an extra 10-15 minutes compared to the Boleyn Ground)
    particularly easy now from Woolwich Arsenal which is about as prime Charlton territory as you can get. Then Crossrail serves Stratford doesn't it ? That will then be Abbey Wood sorted, more prime Charlton territory. Then there are the Javelin services making it very easy to get there from north Kent by train - much easier and faster than to the Valley.

All reasons why the Trust campaign to make the bastards pay more, and ease the burden on the taxpayer, is running full steam ahead.

You're not proper Charlton as you don't know where Crossrail goes.

(You would have to change at Whitechapel to get to Stratford from Abbey Wood)
  • Why are we suddenly obsessed with west ham wtf have I missed that they are now the anti christ , they done us no harm at Upton after the cnuts in Surrey, great memories for me there watching us, it's all a bit palace trying to build a rivalry
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2015
    There is one good thing, having a Premier league team with thousands of unsold seats, and needing to reduce prices to fill them, reduces the inflationery pressure on other clubs to increase their prices unreasonably.
  • Small team from Stratford
  • Why are we suddenly obsessed with west ham wtf have I missed that they are now the anti christ , they done us no harm at Upton after the cnuts in Surrey, great memories for me there watching us, it's all a bit palace trying to build a rivalry

Exactly,and not much different to the pantomime rivalry we're supposed to have with Millwall,but now they and Palace are no longer in our league some people are desperate to contrive a bogus rivalry so they can snivel about how much they 'hate' them.

As far as I can see,the reason for West Ham being the latest rival elect is that we've 'paid' for their new stadium and the Valley is going to be half full because everyone's swanning off to watch Premiership football instead.The Trust have now taken it upon themselves to embark on a bootless errand demanding they pay more money for the stadium and it's not hard to imagine how that will turn out...

The only rivals we have are whatever team we happen to be playing at 3 o'clock on a Saturday.
  • Prague, coming from a (mostly West Ham) supporting family I've no love for the Hammers; but however you dress up what the trust is trying to do it just comes across as bitter. You state the fault is with those who negotiated the deal with West Ham so to help rectify that the trust think West Ham fans should pay higher ticket prices than they might. It's all done for the poor tax payer but the thrust of the argument seems to be Charlton losing future generations of fans.
    I doubt anyone outside Charlton voicing their support for the trust is doing it for sympathy with Charlton; or Orient for that matter. It's more than likely because no football fans want to see another club have a chance of more success than their own.
    The bottom line IMHO is that we need to get OUR act together, achieve promotion and become more successful, thereby attracting more fans. We haven't managed to do that too much in the last dozen years or so and in all that time West Ham have been playing at Upton Park, some of that time spent in a lower division than us.
    I'm not saying what's happening is fair or just, but sometimes when mistakes have been made by the powers that be being fair isn't an option, things just have to be done that can't suit everyone.
  • sam3110 said:

particularly easy now from Woolwich Arsenal which is about as prime Charlton territory as you can get. Then Crossrail serves Stratford doesn't it ? That will then be Abbey Wood sorted, more prime Charlton territory. Then there are the Javelin services making it very easy to get there from north Kent by train - much easier and faster than to the Valley.

All reasons why the Trust campaign to make the bastards pay more, and ease the burden on the taxpayer, is running full steam ahead.

:: Dusts off his anorak ::

To Stratford
    • From Abbey Wood the journey time will be 19 minutes by Crossrail.
    • From Woolwich Arsenal it's 21 minutes on DLR.
    • From North Greenwich it's 8 minutes on the Jubilee Line.
    • From Ebbsfleet International, it's 12 minutes on HS1.
    • From Ashford International, it's 31 minutes on HS1.
    To Charlton
    • From Abbey Wood the journey time is 12 minutes by Southeastern.
    • From Woolwich Arsenal it's 6 minutes on Southeastern.
    • From North Greenwich it's 20 minutes by bus.
    • From Ebbsfleet International, it's 31 minutes by car.
    • From Ashford International, it's roughly 4 weeks by any route
  • edited July 2015
    @PragueAddick

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the greater part,I agree with your sentiments.However, I think the projected fear of losing casual support and that of the next generation is slightly dramatic/pessimisstic.Will we lose some casual support? Perhaps.The next generation? Impossible to tell such are the vagaries involved in any club's support.

It would appear your main beef is the stunning largesse afforded West Ham by the people who gave them the deal to the detriment of the taxpayer and potentially Charlton.And there's the rub:it's a done deal.

I don't,as is obvious,know much about the machinations of this deal, but to attempt forcing West Ham into paying a more realistic price seems unfeasible if not impossible,hence my bootless errand remark.

Anyway,regardless of what I think the inevitable outcome will be,I wish the Trust and their allies the best of luck in their campaign,it would be something quite extraordinary if you pull it off.

• rikofold said:

sam3110 said:

:: Dusts off his anorak ::

To Stratford
    • From Abbey Wood the journey time will be 19 minutes by Crossrail.
    • From Woolwich Arsenal it's 21 minutes on DLR.
    • From North Greenwich it's 8 minutes on the Jubilee Line.
    • From Ebbsfleet International, it's 12 minutes on HS1.
    • From Ashford International, it's 31 minutes on HS1.
    To Charlton
    • From Abbey Wood the journey time is 12 minutes by Southeastern.
    • From Woolwich Arsenal it's 6 minutes on Southeastern.
    • From North Greenwich it's 20 minutes by bus.
    • From Ebbsfleet International, it's 31 minutes by car.
    • From Ashford International, it's roughly 4 weeks by any route
    That alone should be enough to panic any Charlton fan. From within our own borough, and from a location just up the road from The Valley, it's easier and quicker to get to West Ham.
  • I didn't say bitter fans Prague I said the trust comes across as bitter. A subtle difference maybe but a difference none the less. The crux of my point of view is that the situation we've all been left with as tax payers is not ideal, it's not right and it's not fair. But it is what it is. It's not West Hams fault it's the fault of the original decision makers which cannot change no matter how much we all wish it could.
    Like I say there is a "friendly" but often noisy rivalry in my family (3 West Ham supporting brothers) and in that context I've no wish for them to succeed at anything. But I just don't know what you expect of West Ham. Should they pay more than they know they have to?
    If the trust succeeds then great but to be honest I personally find it hard to give a toss about what any other club does or gets. I don't think it has the impact on Charlton that most do on here so I guess that's a fundamental difference of opinion that's not likely to change.