Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

GAA

1121314151618»

Comments

• Amargh win their second All Ireland title win by one point over Galway. Close game all round, Galway hit the post in last minute.
  • Well, today's game didn't quite scale the heights in the same way as last week, but an enjoyable and tight game between two sides without an All Ireland medal between them.

Delighted to see Armagh win, but I might not say that if I lived in the Moy, or elsewhere close to the Blackwater (we get very bitter in our relations with neighbours the closer we are to them).
  • Well, today's game didn't quite scale the heights in the same way as last week, but an enjoyable and tight game between two sides without an All Ireland medal between them.

Delighted to see Armagh win, but I might not say that if I lived in the Moy, or elsewhere close to the Blackwater (we get very bitter in our relations with neighbours the closer we are to them).
  • As an Ulster girl I’m delighted for Armagh.
  • Hold on, what was this ?

thought final was last week ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    Hold on, what was this ?

thought final was last week ?
    Hurling last week and Gaelic Football this week. 

Not the spectacle of the hurling. The football was quite ponderous and tactical for a lot of the game. Superb block at the end saving Armagh’s lead when Galway were looking to take it to extra time. 

Good to see the North winning. Up Armagh 🟧
  • Ok gotcha 

Different sports, but both run by the GAA

• Now my supplementary question is , do you support the county you live in, the county you were born in or can you support anyone you want ? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Now my supplementary question is , do you support the county you live in, the county you were born in or can you support anyone you want ? 

Generally you support the county were born, you would play for you local team, there are transfers between teams, but these discretion of the County Board and are not guaranteed to be sanctioned
  • Sponsored links:

• A very tight and rather cautious game but certainly an exciting finish.
  • Watched at home in the end very easy to do just turned my bbc player location to Northern Ireland. 
  • Listening to BBC Radio Ulster this morning and they’re obviously focusing on the Armagh win and celebrating it, with loads of interviews with fans, past players and pundits.  

Unfortunately, one notable grinch has reported PSNI officers who joined in by waving Armagh flags from their police cars and tooting their horns. A very sad man. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    Listening to BBC Radio Ulster this morning and they’re obviously focusing on the Armagh win and celebrating it, with loads of interviews with fans, past players and pundits.  

Unfortunately, one notable grinch has reported PSNI officers who joined in by waving Armagh flags from their police cars and tooting their horns. A very sad man. 
    Watching the video on Twitter, I suspect the issue will be with the driving as much as the waving of the flag.
  • Watched in a bar in Liverpool, quite a few fans out and about in the various (numerous) Irish bars for both sides. Was a good atmosphere and the gf was ecstatic they won, cried tears of joy at the final whistle! But she was a bit sad to not be at home for the celebrations also.

Not an all-time-great game but a cagey affair and Armagh dug deep to pull out the win. 

Was happy for Geezer as well who I know a little through training jiu-jitsu with him, theres a picture somewhere of him squashing me into the mat like a bug ... strong man haha
  • MrOneLung said:
    Now my supplementary question is , do you support the county you live in, the county you were born in or can you support anyone you want ? 

Generally you support the county were born, you would play for you local team, there are transfers between teams, but these discretion of the County Board and are not guaranteed to be sanctioned. 
    It's generally easier to transfer between clubs (many aligned with parishes) to one outside of your County of birth.

Someone from Donegal and working in Dublin or Cork might join a club where they live and work, but it is amazing the numbers of people who will travel hundreds of miles in a week for training for their club team, which is just bonkers, though might be understandable for those on a County panel.  Kilmacud Crokes would be a good example of a Dublin club that has a large number of players from a rural counties (culchies to a man, and woman).

Normally, within a County, or even neighbouring Counties, anyone transferring will be doing so because there is bad blood somewhere, fall outs can be a tad epic (if small scale).

Obviously, the easiest transfer is when someone moves abroad (even temporarily, particularly university age players going to the USA for the summer), which is why you'll find Irish GAA clubs and players all over Europe, the Americas, Asia and the Antipodes (fewer in Africa, but there's a really interesting grassroots GAA culture being developed in places like Uganda)...

Part of me would really enjoy going to watch regional championships in some of the further flung reaches of the GAA world.
  • TelMc32 said:
    Listening to BBC Radio Ulster this morning and they’re obviously focusing on the Armagh win and celebrating it, with loads of interviews with fans, past players and pundits.  

Watching the video on Twitter, I suspect the issue will be with the driving as much as the waving of the flag.

• MrOneLung said:

Generally you support the county were born, you would play for you local team, there are transfers between teams, but these discretion of the County Board and are not guaranteed to be sanctioned. 
    It's generally easier to transfer between clubs (many aligned with parishes) to one outside of your County of birth.

Someone from Donegal and working in Dublin or Cork might join a club where they live and work, but it is amazing the numbers of people who will travel hundreds of miles in a week for training for their club team, which is just bonkers, though might be understandable for those on a County panel.  Kilmacud Crokes would be a good example of a Dublin club that has a large number of players from a rural counties (culchies to a man, and woman).

Normally, within a County, or even neighbouring Counties, anyone transferring will be doing so because there is bad blood somewhere, fall outs can be a tad epic (if small scale).

Obviously, the easiest transfer is when someone moves abroad (even temporarily, particularly university age players going to the USA for the summer), which is why you'll find Irish GAA clubs and players all over Europe, the Americas, Asia and the Antipodes (fewer in Africa, but there's a really interesting grassroots GAA culture being developed in places like Uganda)...

Part of me would really enjoy going to watch regional championships in some of the further flung reaches of the GAA world.
    Probably bored you with this before but my Bruv played in the same team as Paul Walsh back in the day.
  • MrOneLung said:

Probably bored you with this before but my Bruv played in the same team as Paul Walsh back in the day.
    St Malachy’s?
  • MrOneLung said:

St Malachy’s?
    I have zero recollection of the name of the team tbh.
    I just remember being dragged out of my bed to watch them 🙄😫
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

St Malachy’s?
    They were based In Dartford, I played a few times in my brother’s name, as I was registered with St Anne’s.
  • Up Down

Just joking

Up Tipp.....
  • MrOneLung said:

St Malachy’s?
    They were based In Dartford, I played a few times in my brother’s name, as I was registered with St Anne’s.
    I have a recollection of the pitch being up by the old St Vincent’s church up by Temple Hill, where Knights Manor Way is now. 
    I was allowed to carry the infamous sponge on when anyone got injured 🫣😂😂😂
  • So, just to point out how mad GAA is, a nephew suffered a punctured lung and 6 broken ribs last week in a (reasonably) friendly club match, following what was described as a clumsy challenge (must have been by a stone wall).