Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

GAA

Comments

• The GAA love a replay.
  • They do.

But it wouldn't be good for heart health.
  • Maybe it's the clock that decides the winner in this.
  • edited July 21
    I'm afraid that, although I am an Ulsterman, I'm not exactly unbiased in this.

Even though there might be some evil pleasure in seeing one's cousins being devastated, I'm still forced to support Cork, as my mother was from Fermoy.
  • Kelly for Clare is a monster.
  • edited July 21
    Mother from Cork/Limerick border, but pleased for my brother in Ballycasey Clare.
  • Oh my.  What a finish.
  • What a close game. Amazing sport.
  • Great game.
    Congratulations Clare 👍
  • edited July 21
    Jesus, what a game, well played both teams and well done Clare. Good to see hurling given air time on the BBC. Hurling hasn’t change in a way as Gaelic Football has and has in a way become boring.

The last play of the game, should have been a free in, especially as the ref was so strict with shirt pulling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really enjoyed the game, and I have to give credit to the BBC, providing both knowledgeable commentary and enthusiasm (Mark Sidebottom from BBC Northern Ireland must be loving his life these days - very amusing the way that he was determined to mention how a Clare player had a PhD).
  • Really enjoyed the game, and I have to give credit to the BBC, providing both knowledgeable commentary and enthusiasm (Mark Sidebottom from BBC Northern Ireland must be loving his life these days - very amusing the way that he was determined to mention how a Clare player had a PhD).
    In the past, there would be no way of the BBC NI showing Gaelic games, things have changed for the better.
  • That was one of the best games I’ve seen in a long time. Some cracking goals, brilliant points and the keepers were both in great form with some amazing saves. 

82,500 in Croke and millions around the world watching two teams of amateurs giving everything for their county, before getting up for work tomorrow.  Hope Armagh v Galway in the Football is as exciting next Sunday. 
  • I enjoyed but probably because it was such a close game. 

Need to encourage more goal attempts as just watching them knock it over from
     50 metres was quite boring 

The most excitement and crowd noise was when the shot was saved and the follow up blocked towards the end of normal time (I think) 

that said, I love NFL, and get that a lot of people find that a bit boring 
  • edited July 22
    Really enjoyed the game, and I have to give credit to the BBC, providing both knowledgeable commentary and enthusiasm (Mark Sidebottom from BBC Northern Ireland must be loving his life these days - very amusing the way that he was determined to mention how a Clare player had a PhD).
    In the past, there would be no way of the BBC NI showing Gaelic games, things have changed for the better.
    The BBC has been showing GAA fairly regularly for quite a while (maybe not every season, but I think that that is normally a feature of broadcasting rights rather than interest).  But a phenomenal game to advertise the sport to a wider audience.

It helps to have had celebrity fans to help out, Dara O'Briain's tweets drove a fair amount of interest, and the reactions of the lucky four at half and full time were brilliant.

It does also help that Mark Sidebottom is a self-confessed GAA club member (which wouldn't have been something that he might have said so obviously 20-30 years ago) and his enthusiasm in recent weeks, both the football and hurling, has been infectious.
  • I used to like Dara O’Briain until I heard him on Desert Island Discs
  • mrs wants to watch the final on sunday ideally somewhere in central london any recomendations. 

have been to ganleys etc before but gets rammed and a bit of shunt for us these days 
  • Girlfriend is Armagh so we're going into Liverpool to watch the match - she's been giddy with excitement all week! 
  • mrs wants to watch the final on sunday ideally somewhere in central london any recomendations. 

have been to ganleys etc before but gets rammed and a bit of shunt for us these days 
    Not really central but The Sheephaven in Camden is a good shout for GAA. I try to avoid central London pubs for the more important games 
  • Sponsored links:

• yeah have a mate who has a table booked at the 12 pins in finsbury park so may go there 
  • Girlfriend is Armagh so we're going into Liverpool to watch the match - she's been giddy with excitement all week! 
    Has she ever told you that they have two Cathedrals in the (small) City????

It may have slipped her mind.
  • edited July 24
    yeah have a mate who has a table booked at the 12 pins in finsbury park so may go there 
    Drunk in the 12 Pins a good few times.  If you’re going that way, I’d probably take a walk round the corner to The Faltering Fullback. 

• After watching the game on Sunday had a look at the wiki page to read up on it a bit and was looking up on winners etc and was surprised to see the region of Britain has won a title but Ulster has not 
  • MrOneLung said:
    After watching the game on Sunday had a look at the wiki page to read up on it a bit and was looking up on winners etc and was surprised to see the region of Britain has won a title but Ulster has not 
    Ulster counties have had more luck in Gaelic Football, although they didn’t win til Cavan in1933 and Armagh are in this year’s final.

You have to remember that Gaelic games weren’t always welcome or indeed easy to play in 6 of the 9 Ulster counties for a very long time. Arguably, that is still the case. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    After watching the game on Sunday had a look at the wiki page to read up on it a bit and was looking up on winners etc and was surprised to see the region of Britain has won a title but Ulster has not 
    Ulster counties have had more luck in Gaelic Football, although they didn’t win til Cavan in1933 and Armagh are in this year’s final.

You have to remember that Gaelic games weren’t always welcome or indeed easy to play in 6 of the 9 Ulster counties for a very long time. Arguably, that is still the case. 
    Especially hard to play in Crossmaglen when the army stole the pitch for somewhere to land their helicopters. Having said that, the fastest growing GAA club in 6 counties is in East Belfast.
  • TelMc32 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Especially hard to play in Crossmaglen when the army stole the pitch for somewhere to land their helicopters. Having said that, the fastest growing GAA club in 6 counties is in East Belfast.
    The times they are a changing 😉
  • TelMc32 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Cavan Abu! 💙
  • TelMc32 said:
    TelMc32 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Cavan Abu! 💙
    Must admit I miss my summers on my da’s uncle’s farm just outside Shercock. No running water (freshwater well at the back of the house), up at the crack of dawn to milk the cows, load the urns onto a cart and push it down to the lane at the end of the farm for the creamery lorry to collect. Afternoons in the town at his auntie’s sweet shop and on Lough Sillan 💙🤍
    It's all a bit different now.  It must be 25-30 years since I last saw a milk churn at the side of the road that isn't advertising a shop or containing floral decorations.  Just about every dairyman I am aware of these days has robot milking systems (because most have to hold down a full tie job as well).

You'd struggle these days to find Ritchies' Milky Mints in many sweet shops, and although Oatfield sweets are still available, the Letterkenny factory was shut down over a decade ago, and production moved to Britain.

Though, if fond of golf and/or fishing (plenty of both either in the County or in close proximity), to say nothing of the ideas of holidaying by boat on the Shannon-Erne waterway, Cavan's a really good destination.

Most important, of course, for the Cavan people, is the fact that they beat Monaghan this year.