Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UFC Thread

Comments

• Aldo doesn't sell fights. Look at the biggest PPV sales Mac is the cash cow now for the UFC.

When Rousey lost and jones couldn't stop getting suspended the UFC didn't have anyone other than Bisping that can really sell a fight.

There have been plenty of great fighters over the years such as GSP but they do jack shit to sell a promotion. Dana needs a Mac to do that as many cards are pretty average and the PPV would take a big hit without a seller.
  • McGregor isn't UFC, I have watched mma for about 12 years now and he wouldn't even make the top 30 fighters, he has a big mouth and has never beat anyone worth much apart from his lucky punch he got against Aldo.

Chad Mendez got two weeks notice and Diaz is an average fighter at best, Aldo has destroyed the best and done it for a long time, which ever way you look at it it's wrong to deny Aldo his rematch and the ufc needs to be careful because a lot more fighters will start jumping ship.

You are probably right in what you are saying about the ability of McGregor as a fighter.

However, McGregor brings more to the table then just he's fighting ability he is a genuinely transformative and charismatic figure that has brought the entire sport to a much bigger stage.

He knows it and the people who are running the school know it as well - ergo he gets what he wants.

• Many top fighters get caught sometimes.

Bisping against Rockhold fits nicely.
  • Aldo doesn't sell fights. Look at the biggest PPV sales Mac is the cash cow now for the UFC.

When Rousey lost and jones couldn't stop getting suspended the UFC didn't have anyone other than Bisping that can really sell a fight.

There have been plenty of great fighters over the years such as GSP but they do jack shit to sell a promotion. Dana needs a Mac to do that as many cards are pretty average and the PPV would take a big hit without a seller.

First off Bisping isn't a draw, secondly how can you build new stars if you don't give them a fair shot?
  • Jayajosh said:

Many top fighters get caught sometimes.

Bisping against Rockhold fits nicely.
    GTFO, how dare you!
  • My current mood with 205 coming up:

• Thousands of Irish in time square on the way to the weigh ins yesterday was pretty impressive
  • Can a mod PLEEEEEASE change the thread title. UFC McGregor will do! Thanks.
  • Can a mod PLEEEEEASE change the thread title. UFC McGregor will do! Thanks.

Yeah you can fuck off with that.
  • edited November 2016
    Why not just UFC?

Congratulations to Bisping for beating Henderson btw, it doesn't seem to have been mentioned above.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone watching? Impressed with Luque once again, looks legit.
  • colthe3rd said:

Can a mod PLEEEEEASE change the thread title. UFC McGregor will do! Thanks.

Yeah you can fuck off with that.
    Seems pretty apt seeing as people only seem to post when McGregor's fighting!

Anyway........moving on.

Frankie Edgar. What a legend.
    Khabib. An absolute monster, totally destroyed Johnson, has to get a title shot next.
  • Fair play to anyone in the UK who's still awake for this! 6am now and McGregor's ring walk is still 10-15 minutes away
  • WOW. What a performance. Made Alvarez look like a novice.
  • He pissed that without getting out of first gear
  • That was insane how easy that was!
  • Another win against nobody of note??????

The same nobody that destroyed Dos Anjos, and beat Pettis/Cowboy along the way? Have a word.

He makes them look like nobody because he is so good, against other fighters they are quality

He makes them look like nobody because he is so good, against other fighters they are quality
    They looked better against Diaz though?

Cheers to whoever changed the title.
  • Sponsored links:

That must be a joke?

Alvarez was the champion, had a 28-4 MMA record coming into the fight and had never been knocked out.
  • Looks like you caught a few whoosh's there @C_Jensens_Love_Child
  • Have thought for a while that those who have been in to their MMA for a long time, slate McGregor simply because he's the one that has brought in a legion of new fans. They don't like that they're not such a clique anymore! :wink:
  • Stayed up for it. Some great moments throughout, that knee by Romero was brutal, Khabib is an animal and sad to see Meisha go but probably a good decision.

On Conor, it is a great achievement and will go down as one of the best. I do feel he should have defended the FTW title and if he gives it up on it does make a slight mockery of the UFC. What happens next will be interesting. Khabib probably beats him and I can't see Conor rushing to make that fight happen but there is a growing number of people behind the Eagle now so public pressure may win. I think WW is a step too far for him. Aldo rematch should happen but the Diaz 3rd match probably is a bigger seller.
  • Aldo said last week that he's retiring though and wants to be released from his UFC contract, although i'm sure if offered a McGregor rematch in the next 3-4 months he'd soon change his mind.

McGregor's next fight has to be at 145, if it's not then it's making a mockery of the featherweight division as it'll be well over a year since he won it. Yes he's extremely active (4 fights in the last 12 months) but that doesn't count for much when none of his fights in 2016 were at 145. So for me he either fights at 145 next or he vacates the title.

If he decides he's not going back to 145, then he has to fight Khabib. Khabib was promised a title fight with Alvarez but then obviously the Mcgregor fight was made instead because of the money it'd make. It's surely unfair to deny Khabib again. However the issue here is, i don't see McGregor actually wanting a fight with Khabib, that guy is fucking dangerous and of course unbeaten. However he's the number 1 contender so if he fights at 155 next then for me, it has to be Khabib.
  • Agree with that although technically Ferguson is number 1 contender although clearly that could change this week and no way Aldo retires if offered to fight Conor.
  • Next fight should be Mcgregor v Aldo 2. Or Edgar if Aldo is retired, can't go longer than a year without defending the Featherweight belt.

Khabib v Ferguson for the interim lightweight in the meantime.
  • Impressive by Mcgregor, had my doubts after the struggle with the diaz fights but he proved he is at another level tonight. Nurmagomedov has to be next, the way he manhandled Johnson was frightening and would be the biggest test for Mcgregor.

Also BT Sport how Pathetic to cut the sound with the interview with Conor as the end of the fight because of swearing. we just watched two guys punching each other in the face and swearing is what people will get offended by?
  • Not really BTs fault, the watershed had begun so had to cut it.
  • colthe3rd said:

Not really BTs fault, the watershed had begun so had to cut it.

i know, still frustrating as it just kept cutting and when the question of what he was doing next it got cut before he even spoke which was annoying,