Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UFC Thread

Comments

• Options

First time I’ve ever really watched a UFC fight. I’m with @bobmunro not for me. The wrestling, grappling etc bores me.

Everyone condemns the after stuff but the promoter will be laughing, it’s tripled the publicity and reach of the actual fight

To be fair if that's the first UFC fight you've watched then i can understand as Khabib isn't an exciting fighter at all. Did you see the fight before it?
    No mate. Khabib just reminded me of a snake trying to wrap itself round it’s prey. Much prefer boxing.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

What a crock of shit.

UFC is total garbage as far as I'm concerned - the noble art of boxing, for all it's faults with judging and the like, is so far ahead it's untrue.

Yes because you never get any unsavoury incidents going on in boxing.........

I could think of several just off the top of my head
    I don't disagree. But in my opinion, as a sport there is no comparison.
    Professional boxing had a bit of a head start on the UFC though.

In terms of popularity boxing is well ahead, but the gap is closing, for example i've absolutely no doubt that the PPV figures for last night in the US will be more than GGG v Canelo.
    I'm not doubting its growing popularity and yes of course boxing has been around a lot longer. It's a personal opinion and it's just not for me. I rarely watch UFC but watched the whole show last night and after it I remembered why I rarely watch UFC!

Other people enjoy it - that's fine. It's just that I don't.
    Bob Did you watch the Volkov vs Lewis fight or Pettis vs Ferguson?
    Edit spelling
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Curbey said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

What a crock of shit.

UFC is total garbage as far as I'm concerned - the noble art of boxing, for all it's faults with judging and the like, is so far ahead it's untrue.

In terms of popularity boxing is well ahead, but the gap is closing, for example i've absolutely no doubt that the PPV figures for last night in the US will be more than GGG v Canelo.
    I'm not doubting its growing popularity and yes of course boxing has been around a lot longer. It's a personal opinion and it's just not for me. I rarely watch UFC but watched the whole show last night and after it I remembered why I rarely watch UFC!

Bob Di you watch the Volkov vs Lewis fight or Pettis vs Ferguson?
    Yes I watched the whole card - both very good fights but I still much (very much) prefer boxing which has been a huge part of my adult life. Bloody mindedness perhaps but I just can't bring myself to like UFC. I totally understand why many people like it though.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

First time I’ve ever really watched a UFC fight. I’m with @bobmunro not for me. The wrestling, grappling etc bores me.

Everyone condemns the after stuff but the promoter will be laughing, it’s tripled the publicity and reach of the actual fight

You watched the whole event? Bored?

The comeback from Derrick Lewis? The fight of the year contender with Ferguson and Pettis? The ridiculous impressiveness from Khabib?

Without a doubt at times MMA can be a bit boring, just like any sport, even boxing! But to say last night is boring maybe watching sport just ain't for you.
    I’m with AFKA, McGregor fight was boring. Aftermath was always going to be the talking point, the fight helped that by being so shit.

MMA not for me either, much prefer boxing but I’m sure it has its moments and each to their own.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

You really really dislike him don't you?

Surely Khabib started it by attacking Dannis?
    Short answer yes (to both :wink:)

Khabib's corner attacking Conor was due to the above link, Conor attacked because of Khabib's attack on Danis. The Conor did nothing wrong post fight, Khabib/his team had this planned motive is incorrect.

Grappling is a lot harder to follow than boxing as it's more technical. It's also less interesting to watch due to the waiting and lack of big attacks. However, for those of that who understand it watching Khabib is highly entertaining. I think Conor's pass defences deserve a lot of praise, especially in the second round. His ground game gets a lot of unfair criticism.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

What a crock of shit.

It has an appeal and when they get it right there have been some amazing nights

For me the governance of the sport let’s it down

Dana so badly wanted to remove the thuggish violence that used to be associated with it to bring it mainstream but seems to have forgotten that part and has let the McGregor factor take over too far

Boxing is very well governed but Oscar and Eddie are getting close to being more important and that is where boxing must act to not allow promoters to be the rule setters with regards to respect and keeping the game from going into disrepute

The nonsense from Tyson and wilder is replication of the McGregor vs mayweather shit that was put out

All forms of combat sport need no additional hype but if you do have to do it then the governing bodies have to save the fighters from themselves

It’s not nice office managers and accountants that normally reach the elite levels in these games those involved all have one thing in common the love of having a fight and have done all their lives in bars on streets and in carparks

As such the management of these guys needs to be the thing they respect or fear more than the person they are fighting
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Curbey said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

What a crock of shit.

Bob Di you watch the Volkov vs Lewis fight or Pettis vs Ferguson?
    Yes I watched the whole card - both very good fights but I still much (very much) prefer boxing which has been a huge part of my adult life. Bloody mindedness perhaps but I just can't bring myself to like UFC. I totally understand why many people like it though.
    Fair enough. I always think the value of the card at an MMA event beats a boxing event. As the way Boxing is set up to put over the upcoming talent you end up with loads of mismatches. You don't get that intentially in MMA very often.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Khabib's corner attacking Conor was due to the above link, Conor attacked because of Khabib's attack on Danis. The Conor did nothing wrong post fight, Khabib/his team had this planned motive is incorrect.

Grappling is a lot harder to follow than boxing as it's more technical. It's also less interesting to watch due to the waiting and lack of big attacks. However, for those of that who understand it watching Khabib is highly entertaining. I think Conor's pass defences deserve a lot of praise, especially in the second round. His ground game gets a lot of unfair criticism.
    Don't think we'll ever agree on this so let's just leave it and shoot down the rest of the idiots bad mouthing the sport in here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

colthe3rd said:

Yeah I like grappling, the small details can make it incredibly hard for people to follow. I wouldnt say Khabib is overly entertaining he is dominating which is good watch but I wouldn't be staying up till 6 to watch him fight unless it's against T Ferguson.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Don't think we'll ever agree on this so let's just leave it and shoot down the rest of the idiots bad mouthing the sport in here.
    Sounds good to me!

Khabib V Fergusson will be special. Fergusson is a tenth planet black belt. I think Khabib still mauls him though. Will have none of bollocks of this one as they both have respect for each other, although Khabib lost some of Tony's respect last night
  • Options
    Curbey said:

colthe3rd said:

Yeah I like grappling, the small details can make it incredibly hard for people to follow. I wouldnt say Khabib is overly entertaining he is dominating which is good watch but I wouldn't be staying up till 6 to watch him fight unless it's against T Ferguson.
    It's ridiculously impressive. The one thing I am a bit disappointed with the result is that we won't get McGregor Ferguson, now that would have been a lot of fun. The other thing is if Khabib is allowed to return and fight again will Dana even want to make that fight for the fifth time? I guess he has to but will we ever see it?

As for McGregor, I guess it could be Diaz 3 or GSP next.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

The comeback from Derrick Lewis? The fight of the year contender with Ferguson and Pettis? The ridiculous impressiveness from Khabib?

Without a doubt at times MMA can be a bit boring, just like any sport, even boxing! But to say last night is boring maybe watching sport just ain't for you.
    Absolutely agree. The main event was only exciting because of the hype, the actual content of the fight was lacking in my opinion, which shows the genius of the showmanship I guess, but I don't buy into that. I have a mate who does and constantly goes on about who is calling whose mother a whore etc, not exactly thrilling is it.... He is firmly a McGregor fanboy.

The fights before the main event were sensational. Derrick Lewis now has a fan for life in me. Simply brilliant. The main event was 99% personality, 1% exciting fighting, which probably sums up McGregor over the past couple of years.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

maybe watching sport just ain't for you.
    Yeah, that’s it. Cheers. I’ll stick to knitting and teddy bears

Did you just seen the main event?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Curbey said:

colthe3rd said:

It's ridiculously impressive. The one thing I am a bit disappointed with the result is that we won't get McGregor Ferguson, now that would have been a lot of fun. The other thing is if Khabib is allowed to return and fight again will Dana even want to make that fight for the fifth time? I guess he has to but will we ever see it?

Deffo Diaz, I think mac comes out with a lot of credit last night ground game has improved massively. Blokes a good winner and good loser credit to him.

I don't care if its the fifth time we need that fight after last night more than ever, Dana needs to pull his finger out after Khabibs 6 month ban. Get some of Tony's rubber guard against Khabib top pressure will be great!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

colthe3rd said:

Absolutely agree. The main event was only exciting because of the hype, the actual content of the fight was lacking in my opinion, which shows the genius of the showmanship I guess, but I don't buy into that. I have a mate who does and constantly goes on about who is calling whose mother a whore etc, not exactly thrilling is it.... He is firmly a McGregor fanboy.

The fights before the main event were sensational. Derrick Lewis now has a fan for life in me. Simply brilliant. The main event was 99% personality, 1% exciting fighting, which probably sums up McGregor over the past couple of years.
    Tbf McGregor has been in some pretty exciting fights. It's Khabib's style that makes for less exciting fights, what he does is so impressive but go back and look at his fights. Generally his grappling bis just so good he can maul people and the fight is done.
  • Options
    What will always stop UFC transcending is the same stuff that followers of MMA love to get juicy in the gusset. The technical stuff. Watching 2 blokes writhe around trying to get in a certain position is boring to the layman. Boxing is a shite site easier to understand and unless you are watching someone like Mayweather duck and dodge everything his opponent slings his way you generally see a fight
  • Options
    Carter said:

What will always stop UFC transcending is the same stuff that followers of MMA love to get juicy in the gusset. The technical stuff. Watching 2 blokes writhe around trying to get in a certain position is boring to the layman. Boxing is a shite site easier to understand and unless you are watching someone like Mayweather duck and dodge everything his opponent slings his way you generally see a fight

Sorry but that's just not true is it? How many mismatches are there in boxing by comparison? You could just as easily get a dud boxing match as you can MMA fight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbey said:

colthe3rd said:

Curbey said:

colthe3rd said:

Deffo Diaz, I think mac comes out with a lot of credit last night ground game has improved massively. Blokes a good winner and good loser credit to him.

I don't care if its the fifth time we need that fight after last night more than ever, Dana needs to pull his finger out after Khabibs 6 month ban. Get some of Tony's rubber guard against Khabib top pressure will be great!
    Trying to not get in to the Conor stuff, but a good winner? Look at his post match comments after a victory. Hardly humble and respectful.
    Carter said:

Pretty much. But there are lots of fighters who specialise in stand up, Derrick Lewis would appeal to the boxing fans. He's a funny guy too. To be honest I prefer MMA to not be a mainstream sport with the "experts" that you get in boxing and the Conor dick riders. I've been to a few MMA events and have only seen one fan fight which happened outside. You get double figures at big boxing fights.
  • Options
    I think it's bizarre people are thinking that Lewis fight was good and that it won fight of the night, shows the card was actually pretty poor looking back. Volkon was dopey and didn't have fight smarts, could have finished Lewis quite a few times but threw caution to the wind, then Lewis after being slow and shit the whole fight lands a bomb, main bit of entertainment was his interview.

Ferguson and Pettis was a very good fight until stopped, second round was incredible, Ferguson's evasiveness with rolls and wriggles was nothing short of spectacular and I am firmly in the camp of Ferguson if he does fight Khabib. I think his pressure is just on a whole different level and he would be a lot more comfortable than most people are 155 on the ground, would love to see that fight
  • Options

To be fair if that's the first UFC fight you've watched then i can understand as Khabib isn't an exciting fighter at all. Did you see the fight before it?
    No mate, just the Khabib fight on YouTube this morning. Not knocking the strength, conditioning or technical ability, just 70% of a bout in holds on the floor or penned against the cage just ain’t for me.
  • Options

No mate, just the Khabib fight on YouTube this morning. Not knocking the strength, conditioning or technical ability, just 70% of a bout in holds on the floor or penned against the cage just ain’t for me.
    Watch the fight before the main event. You may change your opinion on MMA.
  • Options
    Highlight of UFC 229 - Derrick Lewis' interview with Joe Rogan, absolutely crack up! https://youtu.be/F_E6jXHMPs4
  • Options
    Oh great the boxing vs MMA debate again
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Weird isn't it? I don't know why people can't accept people liking other things. The argument people make about it is strange, "it isn't as good as boxing", are other sports compared in this way? Two different things that should be treated that way.
  • Options
    Khabib is a fucking monster, going to be very hard for anyone to beat him.

As others have said his style is not attractive to watch but I doubt he cares too much about that.

Once he has you on the floor then he’s like a python with arms and you are bang in trouble.

I like McGregor but he was outclassed and to be frank deserved to lose, you can’t take two years out of the sport and come back and fight the top guy and win.

Personally, I think the fire has gone out in McGregor, he made a shitload of cash vs Floyd and I think the hunger has died a little.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Chunes said:

Weird isn't it? I don't know why people can't accept people liking other things. The argument people make about it is strange, "it isn't as good as boxing", are other sports compared in this way? Two different things that should be treated that way.
    From what I have read you are the only person criticising others for not liking MMA?

And yes other sports are compared if they are similar. But of course they are also different in their own way and comparisons don't necessarily always have to be drawn.