Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• All I want to know is will I be able to get to Dymchurch on Saturday?

Depends where you are travelling from. Unless things change radically in France, Op Stack is likely to continue and the M20 and A20 will be hell like last weekend. Extra traffic at the weekend due to holidaymakers trying to get to France makes it even worse.

Even if you go on the M2, that is only 2 lanes after Gillingham and is very slow and you'll still have to get round Folkestone & Dover. Unless you go on country roads which are also pretty congested I think you will have a difficult journey.
  • cabbles said:

smiffyboy said:

This is becoming a joke but sums the government up, they wanna penalise and cause us Brits problem after problem by shutting the M20 while doing nothing about the cause of it all, how long will it take to get into their thick skulls by withdrawing benefits and houses for them they won't come but that's too simple Cameron would sooner stick his head up Europe's arse and spit euros than man up and sort it

I thought we passed legislation removing benefits for any immigrants coming over here without jobs?
    We did. It's the age old problem of reality vs perception. The goverment can make and changes laws as much as they want, all the hordes in Calais see is Daily Mail headlines about £1 million houses being given away and the lies of the Mayor of Calais about how much better they'll be if they can get to the UK.

It is hard to change the perception they have, when the reality is there is virtually no difference from an economic or security point of view between here and France, and they are a lot lot safer trying to make a life where they currently are than risking their lives to make the crossing to here.

I doubt if they can even read English let alone get a copy of the Daily Mail!
  • Here's a radical suggestion for all the millions of so called displaced refugees around the world. Rather than flee their homelands in search of a better life, stand up and fight to secure and improve your own country, like we did in two world wars. Sounds harsh I know, but try telling that to the millions of our troops who have given their lives so that we could live in a peaceful, democratic nation. For too long we have encouraged people to flee their nations allowing rogue governments to take over virtually unopposed.

Right on, those women and children. Let them fight ISIS. Only, are we going to arm them cos otherwise they might struggle

We took refugees from Belguim during WWI. Should we have made them stay and fight

we took refugees from Nazi Germany and occupied countries too in World War II. Should we have sent them back to fight? Of course some of those men did join the British Army and fight. Polish and Czech flyers in the RAF being the best example.

And Britain send refugees (British Citizens) to Canada and the USA during the war too. Should have made them stay at home and fight?

And as you will know there was once a time when Britain dumped its criminals on the other side of the world.
    I don't see too many women and kids jumping into lorries in Calais. I see young fit males who should be looking after their women and kids and standing up to dictatorships rather than running away. Isis is taking over large parts of Iraq simply because they are encountering very little resistance. You know as well as I do that I'm not suggesting the women and kids should have to take up arms. But what we have created is a situation where there is no incentive to fight for your own nation when the far easier option is to simply move to somewhere like the UK, France, Italy or Australia. Sooner or later people have to stand their ground and fight for their territory because the aforementioned countries simply cannot accommodate the volume of people who wish to live there.
    But you werent talking about the approx 5k at Calais. You mentioned and I quote "all the millions of so called (sic) displaced refugees around the world". You widened it from just the people at Calais who I have not mentioned or commented on.

Easy to say stand and fight from the comfort of our first world keyboards. Not all of the "millions of so called displaced refugees" that you referred to are young, fit men of fighting age and many of those that are won't have arms or military training.

They might, as in Syria, have the choice of two evils, Assad or ISIS, to fight for and prefer to join neither.

A21 to Hastings and then A259 along the coast.

may take a bit longer and there will be millions taking the same route but just trying to help.
  • kentred2 said:

Further trouble is they will have no documentation, allowing more paedophiles, rapists, murders, etc with no way of knowing any previous convictions.
    If this lot get through there will be another ten thousand next month, something radical needs to be done and soon.

I agree we don't want any rapist paedophiles. We have hordes of them already in the establishment
    Agreed but a large percentage we have already in our society are on a register of sorts.
  • edited July 2015
    I'm coming back from Germany to Calais on sat, are there any disruptions to the Eurotunnel France to England or is it only delays England to France. Thanks
  • The saddest fact about all of this is that there are scumbags out there that have made heavy profits by trafficking these people to Calais on the promise of getting them into the UK.

I can't blame someone for wanting a better life, and our aging population makes it imperative we have immigration, but it has to be done the correct and legal way.

If we just bend over and let these people in we are just promoting people trafficking and more people will be killed trying to get over here. More people will be taken advantage of by this scum and more woman and children will be abused, robbed and raped by these organised criminal gangs.

These poor people must be in a desperate situation, but we have to be cruel to be kind. We cannot just give up and open our borders to them.

Agree totally.

Some of the migrants are criminals but many are also victims.

That doesn't mean that the UK shouldn't control illegal, or legal, immigration but lets not dehumanise people.
  • The saddest fact about all of this is that there are scumbags out there that have made heavy profits by trafficking these people to Calais on the promise of getting them into the UK.

I can't blame someone for wanting a better life, and our aging population makes it imperative we have immigration, but it has to be done the correct and legal way.

If we just bend over and let these people in we are just promoting people trafficking and more people will be killed trying to get over here. More people will be taken advantage of by this scum and more woman and children will be abused, robbed and raped by these organised criminal gangs.

These poor people must be in a desperate situation, but we have to be cruel to be kind. We cannot just give up and open our borders to them.

Very well put.
  • cabbles said:

I'm coming back from Germany to Calais on sat, are there any disruptions to the Eurotunnel France to England or is it only delays England to France. Thanks

I think there are delays both sides of the Channel.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

I think there are delays both sides of the Channel.
    Okay thanks ME.
  • cabbles said:

smiffyboy said:

This is becoming a joke but sums the government up, they wanna penalise and cause us Brits problem after problem by shutting the M20 while doing nothing about the cause of it all, how long will it take to get into their thick skulls by withdrawing benefits and houses for them they won't come but that's too simple Cameron would sooner stick his head up Europe's arse and spit euros than man up and sort it

I thought we passed legislation removing benefits for any immigrants coming over here without jobs?
    We did. It's the age old problem of reality vs perception. The goverment can make and changes laws as much as they want, all the hordes in Calais see is Daily Mail headlines about £1 million houses being given away and the lies of the Mayor of Calais about how much better they'll be if they can get to the UK.

It is hard to change the perception they have, when the reality is there is virtually no difference from an economic or security point of view between here and France, and they are a lot lot safer trying to make a life where they currently are than risking their lives to make the crossing to here.

Their perception comes from somewhere and it's certainly not reality (as much as the Daily Mail, UKIP, Britain First, et al would like to tell you otherwise). The BBC article even said one of the only ways in which the UK genuinely more attractive than France is the fact many of the immigrants speak English and not French, and/or have friends/family already here.

Many genuinely think that you arrive in Dover and you're given a pile of cash and a house, that jobs are easy to come by and all their problems will be resolved. They are getting that impression from somewhere and it's not our laws, our immigration/benefits policy documents or our unemployment figures, so where are they getting these ideas from?

You talk to anybody waiting for a council house, looking for a job or trying to survive on benefits and they'll tell you that what these immigrants believe is totally divorced from reality.

All I want to know is will I be able to get to Dymchurch on Saturday?

Dave, Dymchurch is not all it's cracked up to be, you won't be missing much.

Unless of course as a true Addick you're only going for the train ride!
  • edited July 2015
    Although the law has changed regarding benefits to asylum seekers. There was a BBC comparisons article a few weeks ago about whether the migrants would be better off in France or Britain.

The conclusion was that there is very little difference.

The real difference was however that Britain grants asylum far more than France.

I'll try and find then article.

Edit; here is the article
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33268521
  • cabbles said:

smiffyboy said:

Their perception comes from somewhere and it's certainly not reality (as much as the Daily Mail, UKIP, Britain First, et al would like to tell you otherwise). The BBC article even said one of the only ways in which the UK genuinely more attractive than France is the fact many of the immigrants speak English and not French, and/or have friends/family already here.

Many genuinely think that you arrive in Dover and you're given a pile of cash and a house, that jobs are easy to come by and all their problems will be resolved. They are getting that impression from somewhere and it's not our laws, our immigration/benefits policy documents or our unemployment figures, so where are they getting these ideas from?

You talk to anybody waiting for a council house, looking for a job or trying to survive on benefits and they'll tell you that what these immigrants believe is totally divorced from reality.
    I think you'll find that the people doing the human trafficking are giving false information about what the migrants will get if they come to Europe and the UK in particular.

Depends where you are travelling from. Unless things change radically in France, Op Stack is likely to continue and the M20 and A20 will be hell like last weekend. Extra traffic at the weekend due to holidaymakers trying to get to France makes it even worse.

Even if you go on the M2, that is only 2 lanes after Gillingham and is very slow and you'll still have to get round Folkestone & Dover. Unless you go on country roads which are also pretty congested I think you will have a difficult journey.
    Might be worth coming down the A21...take the Hawkhurst turn off and head to Dymchurch via Rye and New Romney....that would take around 2-2 1/2 hours.
  • @cabbles - have just seen on Sky News very long queues on the French side as well
  • edited July 2015
    Henry said:

"Easy to say stand and fight from the comfort of our first world keyboards. Not all of the "millions of so called displaced refugees" that you referred to are young, fit men of fighting age and many of those that are won't have arms or military training.

They might, as in Syria, have the choice of two evils, Assad or ISIS, to fight for and prefer to join neither."

Will have to bail on this discussion now as it's gone 2am here. What I will say is this. Sooner or later we have to take action to discourage people from coming. The more refugees who successfully settle, the more will want to come, and on and on it goes. Where possible, people should be encouraged to stay in their homeland and fight for their liberty and if that means training them and arming them, then so be it. Many of the refugees from places like Iran and Sri Lanka have no reason to be fleeing their country, other than for a perceived better life. These people should be returned unless they have applied through the correct channels to migrate. Something has to be done and that often means being cruel to be kind. Australia took what was decried by the left as incredibly cruel action in turning around the boats and sending them back. They only had to turn around a few boats before they stopped coming altogether. 1200 people drowned at sea under the previous "kind" Labour government, zero drownings under the tough "cruel" Liberal (conservative) government. Guess what, Labour have finally conceded that they stuffed up, and will now also adopt the boat turn back policy.

• @cabbles - have just seen on Sky News very long queues on the French side as well

If things carry on like this we may have to consider going via Portsmouth next year....though hopefully by then things will be sorted.
  • Sponsored links:

• When you sit in those qs you are alone and vulnerable not a police man or border security come any where near you, we sat three times this year before we chose to go via Holland if there are any issues with the tunnel, the last time was the worst have seen groups of 15-20 mainly Somalian looking men, try to firstly steal from the cabs of unlocked but occupied cabs, they rip the windscreen wipers off vans and Luton sized vehicles even up to 7,5 tonne vehicles , they double team the vehicles and let you see the weapons they have on them, they are blatent in their intimidation as they know the French don't care , you can get in the vehicles especially at the ferry side and if you don't declare to the UK border guys that something happened or was attempted then if they find them you get fined, the French part of the port doesn't ask nor care about the things these scum do outside the port or inside believe me they do the minimum, when the shootings happened my guys were there and in the days after I was there myself , these camps were all around the city of Paris and the motorways leading to it , in the tree lines along the route, they dealt with them in the weeks after by battering them and destroying the camps , if they gave them no where to congregate that would be the starting point by allowing the numbers to swell to the level they are at there is a real problem because if they decided to storm the gates everyday they could on the tunnel and the ferry

Aaah good stuff. I leave on Saturday, hopefully by then plus the time it takes us to drive from where we are in Germany to Calais that will be early evening - who knows
  • cabbles said:

@cabbles - have just seen on Sky News very long queues on the French side as well

Aaah good stuff. I leave on Saturday, hopefully by then plus the time it takes us to drive from where we are in Germany to Calais that will be early evening - who knows
    Good luck with that mate
  • I get the impression France are not really that bothered with solving the problems at Calais as if the immigrants get to our country they then lose a problem to solve. We must have a reputation for being a soft touch country where once you get in it is virtually impossible not to stay.
  • Thing is these people may be desperate but once they start threatening innocent drivers with knives and violence then any right they have on their side is gone and once that happens then sorry steps have to be taken to stop them.

you only have to look at the size of the queue of operation stack to realize how critical these channel crossings are and yet little appears to be happening. Lets us not forget that these people are illegal immigrants who by international law if claiming asylum should have been processed at the first point of entry wherever that was but I can guarantee you that wasn't France.

This is another example of the EU not taking responsibility hence both trade and individuals are being inconvenienced to a huge degree not to mention the people of Kent who are living with this horrendous disruption every day.
  • These people at Calais are not asylum seekers, they are economic migrants. The vast majority of those I've seen are fit healthy, well clothed and fed twenty something males.

The French locals are at last kicking up a stink their side of the Channel, because they are now having issues with the migrants. Not because of all the obvious problems that this number of 'refugees' bring with them, but because the mobile 'phone network cannot cope locally because of high mobile 'phone use.

As usual, the French do what is best for the French and sod the consequences. They have done for years.
  • yep agree Addickted up until a couple of months ago I used the tunnel regularly but after my last experience decided to give it swerve. they all look fit, run in gangs and work by intimidation. who knows who they are or what their intentions are. personally I would prefer not to find out
  • I really hope anyone who would normally call racism has to do a run from south London into deepest sometime soon.

The French politiburo will shrug their shoulders and mutter 'zut alors' from the sanctitude of a Bordeaux villa whilst supporting the wildcat strikers (I support any working mans right to strike but just remember what happened to the wildcat Liverpool dock workers in the 90's)

Arseholes. This is the UK this hurts not them
  • Thing is these people may be desperate but once they start threatening innocent drivers with knives and violence then any right they have on their side is gone and once that happens then sorry steps have to be taken to stop them.

you only have to look at the size of the queue of operation stack to realize how critical these channel crossings are and yet little appears to be happening. Lets us not forget that these people are illegal immigrants who by international law if claiming asylum should have been processed at the first point of entry wherever that was but I can guarantee you that wasn't France.

This is another example of the EU not taking responsibility hence both trade and individuals are being inconvenienced to a huge degree not to mention the people of Kent who are living with this horrendous disruption every day.

I certainly agree with this, the hard part is what steps to take.

It seems like an anarchic situation, almost indeed a free market situation that is finding it's own weird levels. I would not be surprised if, in the absence of any authorities help, truck drivers in particular will somehow arm themselves, or take direct action alone or in groups...or stop working altogether which would be unacceptable.

I suspect in this long and potentially hot summer we are in danger of desperate people engaged in violence with desperate travellers, not a good prospect at all.

• edited July 2015
    Do the French not remember what happened the last time the British were unable to safely cross the Channel and a group of hostile invaders controlled their north coast?