Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wireless Festival

My daughter aged 18 is going to Wireless Festival this year.
She has asked if her sister, aged 14 can go, and i am saying no at the moment.

Has anybody been? whats it like? Is it safe? What sort of festival is it ? (got to remember i'm an old bloke !)
The fact its at Finsbury Park instantly makes me wary.

Comments

• Options
    It depends how much you trust your eldest daughter to look after the younger one, she is an adult after all and I am sure it would be fine, I'd pick them up though yourself just to make sure the last bit is done and dusted without any of those scuzzy bstds Rd there taking the piss
  • Options
    Cheers NLA - i was intending to pick them up - for peace of mind really.
  • Options
    I think you should let her take her mate especially if your picking them up
  • Options
    Shouldn't be a problem as you are collecting them ...and she will think you are great for doing it :wink:
  • Options
    I'd say definitely no... A lot of dick'eds about. Know they're not proper pits but if she walks into one could end up out for the count
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I would say definitely yes. No problem at all. I'm 20, go to maybe 2/3 festivals a year since i was 15. Just got back from Gottwood in Wales and going to Glastonbury and Bestival this year too.

I went to Wireless 4 summers ago I think with a group of about 25 and it is by far the most tame festival i've been too, I wouldn't even call it a festival really as it's only during the day and no camping, more like a day concert, believe it's usually chart artists performing on the main stages just a lot of normal teenagers there. There is a lot of security there as it's in central-Londonish and is a big event. I think I may have seen one little scuffle there but that's genuinely the case when large amounts of teenagers get together, I think I saw more fights at a rolling stones concert in hyde park between 40 year old blokes then at wireless! I'd say yes even if it was just her and her mates of the same age, but as she is going with your eldest then I would have no worries at all mate.

I think sometimes when non-festival goers hear the word festival they immediately think: out of control, drugs, sex, fights etc. I can assure you apart from a few people maybe thinking they are tougher and more fashionable then they actually are, wireless is non of those things, the only downside to it is its actually pretty crap!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

I'd say definitely no... A lot of dick'eds about. Know they're not proper pits but if she walks into one could end up out for the count

Really? So there's a risk of grown blokes indiscriminately hitting anyone just for being in their way at the wrong time?
  • Options
    ads said:

CAFCsayer said:

Really? So there's a risk of grown blokes indiscriminately hitting anyone just for being in their way at the wrong time?
    "Pits"?

Have you seen the line up these days for wireless?

Also as Nomadic points out it's a concert not a festival.

I'd say president that if you're happy that your older daughter is mature enough to look after your younger one and you can trust them both then let them go.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

ads said:

CAFCsayer said:

"Pits"?

I'd say president that if you're happy that your older daughter is mature enough to look after your younger one and you can trust them both then let them go.
    Yup... They're not going to be pits like you'd see at a rock festival but there still will be. I wouldn't want my sister going at that age
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:

buckshee said:

ads said:

CAFCsayer said:

"Pits"?

Yup... They're not going to be pits like you'd see at a rock festival but there still will be. I wouldn't want my sister going at that age
    Yep very true.
    Doesn't need to be a full blown rock band on stage for pits to emerge.
    Seen pits opening up for the likes of chase and status etc.. & now becoming popular on the live grime scene.
  • Options
    Wear some ear plugs?
  • Options
    Ah hem, excuse my ignorance (and old age), but what are 'pits'?
  • Options
    People being bellends and smashing each other up for no reason to music
  • Options
    Mosh pits been happening for years. During the 80's you used to get them at psyhcobilly do's.................
  • Options
    Last year I got my radio's mixed up & ended up going to the tranny festival. It was an eye opening experience.........
  • Options
    Here we go. I let them both go ...today.
    Picking them up at 10.30.
  • Options
    Looks like my absolute idea of hell. Loads of rudeboys and wannabe gangsta there. There's a video online of one of the entrances getting smashed up and about 50 people running in without a ticket. Sorry President, I'm sure she'll be fine but I wouldnt let my kids anywhere near the gaff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I've been to hundreds of gigs indoor & outdoor. I suppose you would call them punk, Indie & rock. I can't ever recall seeing a fight or mob rule like that.

But, I've never been to a rap concert, which attract a different sort of "customer".

http://www.wirelessfestival.co.uk/lineup
  • Options

I've been to hundreds of gigs indoor & outdoor. I suppose you would call them punk, Indie & rock. I can't ever recall seeing a fight or mob rule like that.

But, I've never been to a rap concert, which attract a different sort of "customer".

http://www.wirelessfestival.co.uk/lineup

What goes on inside that makes getting in so important ?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Copper deserves a medal, hope all then scummy cnuts fall in front of a train.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    https://www.facebook.com/MandemOnTheWall/videos/702384183201393/

55 seconds in black bloke in blue vest goes to his pocket and pulls out a knife to go at the security. Scumbag
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm not saying whether he had a weapon or not. I don't know.
    But I couldn't see one. He put his hand in his pocket, but it could have been for any reason.
  • Options
    Blimey, what a load of scummers. Don't remember Finsbury Park being anywhere near that bad when I was there for Arctic Monkeys last year.
  • Options
    I saw Rage Against The Machine when they did their free gig at Finsbury Park a few years ago. Must have seen at least a thousand or so people Storm the gates and get in without a ticket.

Agreed with Gary that these places seem like absolute hell, just for the fact that it is surrounded with lads who all look the same with stupid tanktops that say 'Los Angeles' on them or some shite, denim shorts and a SnapBack worn backwards. Would rather stick pins in my eyes.
  • Options
    Girls were scared stiff when i collected them - some real pond-life outside the event after - wont ever be sending them there again - will post more when i get home tonight.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Glad they are ok. I'd been wondering.

Get them into rock/indie. I've never seen an ounce of trouble, in 35 years of gigs.

Lively, yes. Smoking joints, yes. On Saturday, at Noel Gallagher, at the Calling Festival. There were some scousers snorting cocaine, off of their phones. But I've never seen any trouble.