Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Gold

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    If Gomez goes for a few mil. then it's worth my monthly tenner.
  • Options
    I always thought that VG was a bit like owning shares in a horse and if a player was sold for a profit we would get a dividend. Clearly I was wrong ;-(
  • Options
    Turn the question around.

What would be the damage to the academy if there was no Valley gold income?
  • Options
    On Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Nicholas said:

On Facebook

people have a choice to stop paying.Nobody is holding a gun to their head.

Pulling out though is cutting off your nose to spite your face - in my opinion.

Personally what has happened this week with Joe is the reason i pay into Valleygold.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Saw what appeared to be brand spanking new Grey Transit mini coach with Valley Gold and Charlton Athletic plastered all over it parked near Deptford Creek this morning. I was quite impressed. Makes a change from seeing the clapped out Millwall FC/Lions mini buses round this way.

Is it the first purchase with the JG money? It was 15 plate but I suppose we could have bought it in January.
  • Options

I always thought that VG was a bit like owning shares in a horse and if a player was sold for a profit we would get a dividend. Clearly I was wrong ;-(

In a very simple way, the divi is seen in the way in which the money is put back into the club. From a selfish point of view, as supporters we want to see that in the first team and we got a very real demonstration of this with the sale of Jenkinson to Arsenal.

With the Academy plans due to be decided upon by RBG Planning by next Wednesday (July 1st), then surely we should see this as part of the divi as well.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

There are only 3 reasons why I'm in Valley Gold

- Away ticket priority
    - Possible chance of making a cash profit every year
    - See money invested into the academy so we can enjoy watching home grown players in the first team.

They were my reasons, in recent years, for continuing my membership.
    Originally it was doing my bit to help get the club back to the Valley then to help get youth through to the first team.
    But we were owned by Charlton supporters and they had a plan to bring success on the field, I don't know if the same can be said of todays owner.

I'll give it until January by then we might have a clearer picture what the owners intentions are. My VG subs will stop if I feel they are just another revenue stream to help develop players on for other clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I felt good about the Jenkinson sale with hindsight as it helped us recruit the players we needed to get out of the League we were in. We don't know how the money for Gomez will be used, but that could ultimately determine how we feel about it!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Valley Gold is effectively an additional revenue stream for the Club. It gets alligned to youth development, but ultimately it is money they club would have to find elsewhere.

There are various reasons why people partake in Valley Gold; to enter a draw, to gain ticket priority etc. Ultimately though the vast majority have continued to do so purely out of habit and from wanting to help the club. Alligning it with youth development help justify that last point.
  • Options

Saw what appeared to be brand spanking new Grey Transit mini coach with Valley Gold and Charlton Athletic plastered all over it parked near Deptford Creek this morning. I was quite impressed. Makes a change from seeing the clapped out Millwall FC/Lions mini buses round this way.

Is it the first purchase with the JG money? It was 15 plate but I suppose we could have bought it in January.

It was provided by Valley Gold.
  • Options
    I've been a Valley Gold member from the early days. I've kept it going as my way of giving a bit of support to the club from afar. I've considered pulling the plug several times, usually after the sale of players and also as a result of the way RD seemed to be running the club.

I do want to see the JG money reinvested into the club so I don't have another of my rethinks.
  • Options

Valley Gold is effectively an additional revenue stream for the Club. It gets alligned to youth development, but ultimately it is money they club would have to find elsewhere.

There are various reasons why people partake in Valley Gold; to enter a draw, to gain ticket priority etc. Ultimately though the vast majority have continued to do so purely out of habit and from wanting to help the club. Alligning it with youth development help justify that last point.

How do you know that the "vast majority" do so for that reason or that reason is the only or main reason?
  • Options
    I do it to help the club develop players. Initially I did it to help the club get back to the Valley. I have been a member from the beginning and won one cheap coffee maker when we still played at Sellout Park and a £25 Woolworths voucher! - anybody out there do it as a personal get rich scheme?
  • Options

Turn the question around.

What would be the damage to the academy if there was no Valley gold income?

140k less per year towards the academy to cover costs, towards a new classroom facility, annual preseason tournaments, trip to Italy, mini buses, coach travel, training equipment and match officials.

At just over 1900 members signed up, the scheme is healthy. Players come, players go. Provided things are left as they are (Prize funds, away priority, etc) then at present my direct debit won't be touched.
  • Options

How do you know that the "vast majority" do so for that reason or that reason is the only or main reason?
    i don't, it would just be really annoying to put 'in my opinion' to every post i make on here!
  • Options

i don't, it would just be really annoying to put 'in my opinion' to every post i make on here!
    So what are you basing your opinion on?
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea and if you have a spare tenner a month then good on the 2000 or so members that are contributing.

I stopped a little while back for 3 reasons

1) The Swindon ticket fiasco
    2) Stopped being a regular away fan, nor saw the necessity even for high profile games (always got a ticket for Millwall/Palace)
    3) Looked at my finances and as I was effectively only using it for £15 off my ST and a chance to win the half time raffle I couldn't see the point when I had a family to support.

I did win £750 and a £25 voucher so probably came out about even over the years
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes TelMc32 a nice touch by the club
  • Options
    Great to have an executive box for the proper fans in Valley Gold but you will have to sit behind @kingshilladdick
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    TelMc32 said:

Just had a an email from Sharron @ VG.

New initiative is that VG now has an Executive Box on the half way line of the East Stand. There will be a draw for every home game and 5 VG members and a guest each will get to use the facility. Champagne reception and programme also thrown in, along with a hot meal and dessert and a pay-bar too.

Draw for QPR and Daggers cup game taking place today.

Sounds like a great way of rewarding members :smile:

VG was doing this the season before last, so not new. It's a good idea, but being honest it's a creative way to use a box the club can't sell.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

New initiative is that VG now has an Executive Box on the half way line of the East Stand. There will be a draw for every home game and 5 VG members and a guest each will get to use the facility. Champagne reception and programme also thrown in, along with a hot meal and dessert and a pay-bar too.

VG was doing this the season before last, so not new. It's a good idea, but being honest it's a creative way to use a box the club can't sell.
    You are on a roll today
  • Options
    PL54 said:

TelMc32 said:

You are on a roll today
    “It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”
  • Options

PL54 said:

TelMc32 said:

You are on a roll today
    “It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”
    You're on a troll today
  • Options
    Last couple of seasons it's been Greenwich council people and before that Andrews.

at least it won't be away fans in their anymore

I'm assuming it's the box I'm thinking of right on the halfway line that I'm going to get when I win the lottery.
  • Options
    Another Valley Gold prize that I'll never win !

Sounds good though
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Another Valley Gold prize that I'll never win !

Sounds good though

At least, you get to look at what you could have won.