Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Gold

There is currently rumours that Charlton will sell Gomez and Cousins before the start of the new season. If this happens and the proceeds are not reinvested in CAFC then the Lass and I will cancel our membership of Valley Gold.
We always have been and will be a selling club, as are most others, but in the past the proceeds have usually been reinvesuted in the club, if some of the money goes into RD's pockets then he can pay for the Academy in the future.

Comments

• Options
    So how will you be able to tell ?
  • Options
    Doesn't RD have plans to rebuild the training ground ? Quite literally paying for the academy !*

*I know what you mean though
  • Options
    It's nothing new. We have always been a selling club to be fair.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Even if the proceeds are not fully spent on new players this summer, they will go to offset our losses for the season/s ahead.

There is way too much over-reaction to rumours that all our home-grown talent is being sold. Let's wait and see what happens to Gomez and Cousins, then see who we buy (because we will buy some players) and bring in on freebies (but we will still have to pay sign-on fees and salaries).

As with the Jenkinson money, we must remain hopeful that the proceeds of any sales are put toward some new players and help us build a team capable of taking the club forwards.
  • Options
    To be fair i would be much more upset if JBG goes than either Gomez or Cousins.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2015
    Valley Gold is not part of the club remember (as far as I'm aware).
  • Options

Doesn't make it right. Before we had money problems, now we are owned by a millionaire and don't need to sell.

• Options

Doesn't make it right. Before we had money problems, now we are owned by a millionaire and don't need to sell.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

To be fair i would be much more upset if JBG goes than either Gomez or Cousins.

I wouldn't. They are not comparable. Cousins was rightfully player of the year and is only 21 and will get even better. Gomez is hunted by all the big clubs because of his enormous potential. JBG is a good player but upper championship at best. One footed and not particularly quick. I would like him to stay but if he goes he will be less of a loss than Gomez or Cousins.

• Options
    The millionaire might not agree with you though.
  • Options

Depends on his ambition. This will become crystal clear in the next few weeks.

• Options

Depends on his ambition. This will become crystal clear in the next few weeks.

• Options
    Brian said:

I can see why you're called Brian not Brain.

Pretty much every team in the world other than Real Madrid and Barcelona are a selling club.

Sure Roland will appreciate you spending his money mind.
  • Options
    I can see why you couldn't be called brains either. I have just said we shouldn't sell Gomez, I have said nothing about buying players.
  • Options
    Brian said:

I can see why you couldn't be called brains either. I have just said we shouldn't sell Gomez, I have said nothing about buying players.

Oh come on Brains, What does JG get paid with? Buttons?
  • Options
    Gomez is a player we own so we already pay his wages. No doubt budgeted for or we wouldn't have given him a three year deal. Are you suggesting we should cut our wage bill by reducing our squad in quantity or quality ?
  • Options
    Gomez is a player we own so we already pay his wages. No doubt budgeted for or we wouldn't have given him a three year deal. Are you suggesting we should cut our wage bill by reducing our squad in quantity or quality ?
  • Options
    Brian said:

No, I am saying regardless of how deep RDS pockets are, we are a selling club. Despite what us fans want, football is a business and should be run that way. If a bigger / better team wants one of our players, they go, simple as that. With a rich owner, we are in a position to get a better deal nothing more
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015

shirty5 said:

There are only 3 reasons why I'm in Valley Gold

- Away ticket priority
    - Possible chance of making a cash profit every year
    - See money invested into the academy so we can enjoy watching home grown players in the first team.

- discount in the club shop
    - discount on season ticket
    - discount in other stores planned
    - choose young player of the year (it was Joe Gomez)

Every time we sell a young player people doubt the value of Valley Gold but doesn't it actually prove the value.

Because we have a good academy we can attract players like Gomez and Poyet.

No, we didn't get to see anything like as many appearances as we'd have wanted but if we get £5 more Joe then that shows Valley Gold works.

It is £5m more than we would have got with a poor academy and VG helped make it possible to attract JG and then keep him as long as we did.
    Indeed, but I stick with my 3 reasons. If they ever got rid of the away ticket priority though, then i would seriously consider cancelling my direct debit. I would guess I may not be the only one.

Players being developed and then moved on to bigger and better things (In their/agents eyes) for not too dollar has been going on for over 35 years with the likes of Walsh and Elliott to Poyet and the imminent departure of Gomez. This has been for a variety of reasons. Skint, lack of knowledge etc, from Gilksten and Huyler to Murray and M. Roly. It's nothing new but it does sting a bit until the next one comes through the academy, plays in the first team and moves on.

We are just a slightly smaller version of Southampton, where they seem to do better monetary wise on deals for their youngsters.

No reason to scrap VG and the academy though.
  • Options
    If you are a Valley gold member , do you get a discount all the time in the club shop, or is it only on 'special' days?
  • Options

If you are a Valley gold member , do you get a discount all the time in the club shop, or is it only on 'special' days?

all the time
  • Options

all the time
    Thanks Henry, 10% ?

• Options
    seems a bit of a shame not to channel that VIP energy somewhere, but indeed it was a cash flow thing, people paying up front, VG is additional revenue
  • Options
    If they took away the priority on away tickets through Valley Gold would you cancel your direct debit/subscription?
  • Options
    So, if the money from the sale of one or two youngsters taken from Charlton and used by RD to strengthen other areas of the network so that, ultimately, the whole network improves by sharing better players and facilities, you will refuse to renew your VG membership?

But if the money from those sales is used as wages for one journeyman ex-top flight player (think Hasselbaink) who plays half a season, gets injured and doesn't turn up again after Xmas, that would be ok?
  • Options
    See this as a massive return on my £120 investment in Valley Gold, for every kid who drops out at 16, you get a Joe Gomez, and I'm fully aware supporting Charlton that unless they've got a dodgy injury, they'll be sold at a fair profit for the club.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

If they took away the priority on away tickets through Valley Gold would you cancel your direct debit/subscription?

Yes.