Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crossrail

Comments

• Options
    Looks good!

Forgot about this thread, hilarious stuff!
  • Options
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-at-risk-of-being-delayed-even-further-a4188451.html

Christ. At this rate we might even get taken over before this bloody opens!
    Absolute tossers!!  I'll be bloody retired before they open it and won't need an 8 minute journey home from work!!  ;-/
  • Options
    After crossrail, which im not getting into the politics, just agree it is a huge huge engineering project that will benefit many people, i hope they can get around to upgrading local stations. Still cant believe so many stations dont have lifts still in 2019
  • Options
    After crossrail, which im not getting into the politics, just agree it is a huge huge engineering project that will benefit many people, i hope they can get around to upgrading local stations. Still cant believe so many stations dont have lifts still in 2019
    You say that like it's not some huge engineering job!

Some tube stations are 100 years old and very deep underground!
  • Options

Sorry i meant train stations lol 
  • Options

I see some stations with no lifts or even a ramp still? 
  • Options
    I’m currently working for London Underground on Step Free access programme, there’s currently on going works at 6 stations installing new lifts. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Take Petts Wood for an example.  From the Daylight side, its two flights up, two flights down to any platform.  From the Sovereign side, its one flight up, two down.  Was turned down for funding for step free access not so long ago.  Disgraceful really.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Take Petts Wood for an example.  From the Daylight side, its two flights up, two flights down to any platform.  From the Sovereign side, its one flight up, two down.  Was turned down for funding for step free access not so long ago.  Disgraceful really.
    https://www.bromleytimes.co.uk/news/step-free-stations-at-petts-wood-and-st-mary-cray-1-5984631
    https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/about-us/major-programmes/access-for-all

Petts Wood is one of the next stations to go step free. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

On the plus side, no barriers!
  • Options
    The opening of London's Crossrail project will be delayed until 2021 as Europe's biggest infrastructure scheme is set to go another £650m over budget.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50345344
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:
    I’m currently working for London Underground on Step Free access programme, there’s currently on going works at 6 stations installing new lifts. 

There's a bloody good chance that I know you if you're working on SFA.

Assume you're based over at BPR somewhere?

• Options

TfL have this morning revealed that Crossrail has been delayed yet further until autumn 2021. The previous hope was early 2021 though this is hardly a surprise given recent progress.

The delay is mainly due to signalling issues. Most stations are now complete or almost ready.

https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2020/01/06/crossrail-delayed-yet-further-to-autumn-2021/
  • Options
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-at-risk-of-being-delayed-even-further-a4188451.html

Christ. At this rate we might even get taken over before this bloody opens!
    Bump :-)
  • Options
    If you're interested (which you're not)... If I'd stayed in Charlton working 4 days a week at telcos in Maidenhead, Slough, Paddington etc. rather than pissing off to Canada - a conservative estimate would be that this ~3 year crossrail delay would have cost me around 564 hours extra commuting.

Probably still worth it not to have missed the play-off final, though!
  • Options
    clive said:

TfL have this morning revealed that Crossrail has been delayed yet further until autumn 2021. The previous hope was early 2021 though this is hardly a surprise given recent progress.

The delay is mainly due to signalling issues. Most stations are now complete or almost ready.

https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2020/01/06/crossrail-delayed-yet-further-to-autumn-2021/
    Railway signalling must have got really really difficult in the last 5 years.  There's permanent trouble all around Lewisham, according to southeastern; Branson had recurring issues all up the WCML for years; now Crossrail can't build em right from scratch on almost entirely new trackways.
    Either that or all those cash guzzling frauds reckon that's the sort of plausible sounding bullshit they can trot out to mislead the gullible gravy train suckers at DoT and fob off us poor saps who have to fund the whole farago and use the runt of a so called service that's left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    smiffyboy said:
    How do the numbers stack up with this as the stations where you have to get a lift take far longer to exit than those with escalators and I generally do not travel at peak times.. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Railway signalling must have got really really difficult in the last 5 years.  There's permanent trouble all around Lewisham, according to southeastern; Branson had recurring issues all up the WCML for years; now Crossrail can't build em right from scratch on almost entirely new trackways.
    Either that or all those cash guzzling frauds reckon that's the sort of plausible sounding bullshit they can trot out to mislead the gullible gravy train suckers at DoT and fob off us poor saps who have to fund the whole farago and use the runt of a so called service that's left.
    I seem to recall it's not the signalling on the Crossrail track that is a problem.  Crossrail also uses or crosses non-Crossrail track and it is the integration of the various signalling and train control systems that is the issue along with very limited testing time each night.

• Options
    Hex said:
    clive said:

I seem to recall it's not the signalling on the Crossrail track that is a problem.  Crossrail also uses or crosses non-Crossrail track and it is the integration of the various signalling and train control systems that is the issue along with very limited testing time each night.

Pretty much, different signalling system on the line between Paddinton and Reading, a different one to Heathrow, and a different one up to Shenfield, the systems all need to talk to each other, and a train from say Abbey Wood to Heathrow, would need to be able to communicate with three different systems to complete its journey and keep passengers safe. 
  • Options
    On a positive note. Soon they won't be able to refer to it as Europe's biggest project (Unless they go by Continent of course) :-)
  • Options
    On a negative note.  This country could not collectively shit in a bucket and get it right!
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Hex said:
    clive said:

Pretty much, different signalling system on the line between Paddinton and Reading, a different one to Heathrow, and a different one up to Shenfield, the systems all need to talk to each other, and a train from say Abbey Wood to Heathrow, would need to be able to communicate with three different systems to complete its journey and keep passengers safe. 

The on board train software needs to translate the 3 different signal systems instantaneously as the train moves through the system which is part of the problem. Bearing in mind the timing of the service it is very difficult to run this train service with the driver in control.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    On a positive note. Soon they won't be able to refer to it as Europe's biggest project (Unless they go by Continent of course) :-)
    Surely it is by continent - it was not referred as EU's biggest project.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    DRAddick said:
    Surely it is by continent - it was not referred as EU's biggest project.
    Interesting to find out how it compares with Paris and their Grand Express project for new metro lines.