Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crossrail

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Isn't Khan the man in charge of TFL and thus ultimately responsible for his staff deleting warnings if that is what has happened?

Genuine question as I don't live in London and thus have not researched the TFL hierarchy.

EDIT: It appears from this that Khan is Chairman:

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about-tfl/how-we-work/corporate-governance/board-members

He's the Chairman of TFL.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    So Khan is saying he learned of the delays in August and others are saying it was July. Is that supposed to be the previous July? I mean, August immediately follows July! So all this nonsense over a couple of weeks. The real issue is how this was allowed to be delayed by so long!
  • Options
    Transport chiefs have revealed the crisis-hit Crossrail line has no chance of opening this year — and they have no idea when it will.

The project’s new chief executive told Mayor Sadiq Khan he faced a “huge” task and hopes of the £17.6 billion line being ready this autumn were non-existent.

“I can’t see how this job can be delivered in calendar year 2019,” Mark Wild said. “I don’t actually know when it will be delivered after that.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-latest-transport-boss-reveals-new-line-has-no-chance-of-opening-this-year-and-he-has-no-a4053976.html
  • Options
    I’m sorry to inform everyone that I just don’t get excited about trains. Never have done, never...shouldn’t say never but when it’s done it’s done. What you’ve never had you don’t miss etc.
  • Options
    NEW: Crossrail say project won’t open til Oct 2020 - March 2021 latest without Bond St. Mayor calls timetable “realistic”
    https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/status/1121467099174572032
  • Options
    Isn't he busy deciding whether balloons of Donald Trump should be flying?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Absolute joke. Another Sadiq Khan failure.
    Spot on. Should have been down there himself, doing the wiring and putting the rails in n that
    Nah, but he could have been a half decent Chairman of TFL, you know, the organisation responsible for the project and it’s massively failed timeline....
    Yes, he was Mayor for 2 years without knowing that the project was actually in massive trouble, this isn't a 3 month slippage, it's 2 years.

Clearly he wasn't asking the right questions or scrutinising the answers he was getting well enough. This isn't a new bus shelter, this is London's flagship project
  • Options
    The project was approved in 07 and construction started in 09. Sadiq, who has very little to do with the project, has been mayor of London since '16. If you can find an infrastructure project built in the UK after the ban of slaves that was completed on time let me know, bonus point if you can blame it on Sadiq.
    He is the Chairman of TFL for crying out loud, yet he claims to have been seemingly blindsided by these delays. He clearly wasn’t holding people accountable in those 2-3 years leading up to the planned start date. 

There are a number of people responsible for this mess, and he is one of them. 
  • Options
    I blame Ken
  • Options
    The project was approved in 07 and construction started in 09. Sadiq, who has very little to do with the project, has been mayor of London since '16. If you can find an infrastructure project built in the UK after the ban of slaves that was completed on time let me know, bonus point if you can blame it on Sadiq.
    On that basis I assume you don't blame Grayling for any of the National Rail cockups like the Thameslink or Northern Trains fiascos
    Good luck with that one, far too logical :smile:
  • Options
    On that basis I assume you don't blame Grayling for any of the National Rail cockups like the Thameslink or Northern Trains fiascos
    No idea where that comes from, seems to be avoiding, yet proving, my question. If you look at both projects in their entirity, Grayling's influence hasn't significantly caused the delays. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You have to wonder if asking the right questions would have got the Spurs ground completed by the start of this season? :smile:
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    He is the Chairman of TFL for crying out loud, yet he claims to have been seemingly blindsided by these delays. He clearly wasn’t holding people accountable in those 2-3 years leading up to the planned start date. 

There are a number of people responsible for this mess, and he is one of them. 
    It's not an executive position, such as chairman of M&S. And as Mayor he inherited the final stage of a project which basically goes back to 1974.

Compare with the Olympic Stadium to West Ham fiasco. That contract was Johnson's from start to finish, and was all about burnishing his legacy. At various stages, when it suited him, Johnson appointed himself and then dis -appointed himself, (curiously at the time we won the battle to have the full contract released) chair of the LLDC. 

Khan has been blindsided by a management culture a little too easily, I agree, and deserves some criticism for that. But compared with Johnson, who made London a playground for his project to become PM, and has cost Londoners over half a billion with his vainglorious projects (Stadium, Garden Bridge, buses), there is in political terms no comparison in terms of the incompetence and mendacity.

For those who want to read detailed facts about the Crossrail project and how it got derailed, the London Re-connections website has a whole series of fascinating blogs.The one I link to is indeed critical of Khan, but like I say, read it and then judge in the context of Johnson and the Stadium
  • Options
    Don't forget the cost of BJ's illegal water cannon vehicles...  
  • Options
    Why why do people always seem to have to blame one “side” or another. There’s blame all round here. It’s a shambles. Quite how much blame each separate person or body should take is just rearranging the deckchairs. They are all to blame and all this pointing fingers at others is just not acceptable. It’s pathetic.
  • Options
    What I cannot understand is, if you walk past a number of stations that were due to be finished and up and running 8 months ago and are still not finished, How could Mr Khan not see that the project was in trouble and would not open on time.
  • Options
    Khan knew about this ages ago despite what he might say.

It's one of the reasons he bought forward the ULEZ. To try and claw back a bit of cash.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Why why do people always seem to have to blame one “side” or another. There’s blame all round here. It’s a shambles. Quite how much blame each separate person or body should take is just rearranging the deckchairs. They are all to blame and all this pointing fingers at others is just not acceptable. It’s pathetic.
    Simpletons need a scapegoat. 
  • Options
    The project is a bit of a clusterfuck as much as I don't care for Sadiq Khan it's a.bit lazy to pin this one him. It is part of his job to get things back on track though 
  • Options
    My guess is a bunch of contractors not quoting properly on the job to undercut the other and get a nice long meaty contract, then say "but we had no idea london had different types of rock going through it" etc and pushed the timings back and the costs go up.

Just generally an absolute clusterfuck
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Simpletons need a scapegoat. 
    How very smarmy of you. I forgot that Sadiq Khan is perfect and saying anything against him makes one a ‘simpleton’.