Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

No 'big game' next season?

Felt like a few years since we had a season without Palace or Millwall.

Won't use the term 'rivals' because it doesn't work like that, but who will be the:visitor to The Valley next season that you will be looking forward to most and really want to win ?

With Fulham, QPR and Brentford playing out a West London thing, i think its going to be a bit of a strange 'odd man out' season for us.

Comments

• Surely the big games will be against the teams competing for top spot against us?
  • Leeds for me - just a scum club with scummy fans
  • I'll very much enjoy the three away trips to West London. Difficult to get excited about any of the home games - don't really feel there's anything extra at stake playing the London clubs.

I think what would please me most would be for us to turn in a decent performance in one of the drab/predictable defeat games that I repeatedly drag myself along for despite knowing exactly what's going to happen. So on that basis, a convincing home win against Blackburn would be nice.
  • 'Big games' are defined by the relative league positions of the teams playing the game .. top or bottom two playing each other with 'six points' at stake, surely BIG games .. so (e.g.) if we're top and MK Dons are second come next February, that would be a BIG game, despite the boycott ((:>)
  • Huddersfield in the Cup.
  • Please come back Millwall !
  • Not having to play Palace or Millwall will probably do us a favour. We normally lose them games plus we get a tad obsessive about it which only results in more embarrassment for when we lose!
  • Huddersfield in both the cups is my pick for next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

I'll very much enjoy the three away trips to West London.

Might as well buy our own boat
  • For the home fixture against QPR, can we make them hand over the money up-front for their ticket allocation then hand it straight over to the FL as part of their massive fine they're yet to pay, without giving them the tickets?

Similarly instead of paying QPR for the away match tickets, can we just ask the FL to give us tickets instead and we'll pay them directly.
  • edited June 2015
    Seasons 10/11 and 11/12 when we in the third tier of English football, were the last times we failed to play Palace or Millwall in a league game.

Prior that it would be seasons 05/06 and 06/07 when we were in the premier league.

The last time we failed to play against either side in the 2nd tier of English football would be Season 1997/1998.

• It is going to be dull without Millwall in the league - I know we always bottle the result, but at least there is excitement around the fixture.

Even the teams that have come up/gone down to join us are pretty bland - Burnley, Preston, Milton Keynes, Hull. Boring.
  • Fulham, as I have a few chums that are Fulham fans.
  • When the fixtures come out in the middle of June, the first games I look for are the games against Palace or Millwall. In a couple of weeks whilst I look forward to the new fixtures, there is not one game I'm excited about and looking forward to play. No new ground either this season.
  • The Millwall and Palace games are damp squibs anyway, apart from our poor results, the atmosphere is never very special anyway. The 'Amaraillo' game in 2005(?) was the last derby with a great atmosphere
  • Ridiculous thread title when we have the good fortune to be in the same league as Sheffield Wednesday ( I mean the division of course not the general football scheme of things...)
  • Let's just concentrate on putting a hatful past Franchise shall we.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Millwall and Palace games are damp squibs anyway, apart from our poor results, the atmosphere is never very special anyway. The 'Amaraillo' game in 2005(?) was the last derby with a great atmosphere

The away games have had a cracking atmosphere. Well, in the away end anyway.
  • This year was a blinding atmosphere at the den apart from the last 10 mins. Not gonna miss them at all.

The away games have had a cracking atmosphere. Well, in the away end anyway.
    Other away games have had almost as good an atmosphere in the away end, but to me good atmosphere has to come from home and away supporters. Our home games against Palace and Millwall have all been like morgues
  • It's a good observation that there are few big games just many tough ones that you win if you play well and lose if you don't. The Championship is riddled with clubs from boring towns but I suppose that's logical as the Premiership is dominated by the big cities. League 1 gave us interesting trips to Yeovil and Chesterfield but in the Championship without Millwall, Palace and country towns not much stands out unless Rotherham is your idea of a nice weekend away.
  • Brentford and Fulham brilliant for me, QPR is a rotten, strangely, old schlep from here
  • If I could choose what home games I'd like to see they would be Wolves, Derby, Forest and Leeds. For me, they are the biggest and more enticing fixtures.
  • If I could choose what home games I'd like to see they would be Wolves, Derby, Forest and Leeds. For me, they are the biggest and more enticing fixtures.
  • Brentford and Fulham brilliant for me, QPR is a rotten, strangely, old schlep from here
  • shirty5 said:

Seasons 10/11 and 11/12 when we in the third tier of English football, were the last times we failed to play Palace or Millwall in a league game.

Prior that it would be seasons 05/06 and 06/07 when we were in the premier league.

The last time we failed to play against either side in the 2nd tier of English football would be Season 1997/1998.

So the last time we didn't play them, we romped the league.
    I'll take that.
  • edited June 2015
    Comment awaiting approval