Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Root canal

One month ago I went in for a standard filling but didn't bank on the dentist having to go deeper than expected with the drill and damaging the nerve in the tooth. Since then, the nerve has been singing and I was told I need a root canal. Put it off through sheer stubborness but got to the point where it wasn't getting any better so was booked in for 4th June.

Hit problems big time on Thursday night. Was in so much pain that I couldn't even move my head from side to side. Honestly - bad toothache must be up there with the most pain I have felt and that includes a compund fracture of my ankle.

Got an emergency appt and he said that basically he needed to do stage 1 of the root canal there and then before filling it on 4th. However that involved digging an infected nerve out that was very inflamed.

Holy mother of God. I have never known agony like it. I had 4 injections of anaesthetic but was told I can't have anymore unless I want to walk around dribbling for the rest of my life. It was when the dentist checked the door was shut and the nurse held me down that I knew I was in trouble.

The pain was so intense I blacked out for a bit - but that was after I contorted in agony so much I farted in front of a Jennifer Aniston look a like nurse and almost shat my self in the bargain.

I am guessing that no trip to the dentist should involve pain like that in the modern era - should I mention it when I go back? This isn't victorian dentistry. Any other root canal experiences?

And some advice - If you are told you need a root canal DONT WAIT until it gets too inflamed. It isn't bloody worth it. From what I understand it shouldn't hurt any more than a filling.

Comments

• Options
    I have been told by several people that a root canal is this single most painful experience of their life and that they would rather have their balls diced by a grid of superheated blades or their kneecaps removed my shotguns than go through one again.
  • Options
    Root canal?
    Feck it - just ask them to take the tooth out.
    That's what I did - took my dentist less than 5 mins and no anaesthetic.
    Probably not so easy with the big back teeth though, and of course there is the cosmetic aspect with front teeth (i.e you wouldn't want to just leave a gap)
  • Options
    If you are in that much pain ask to be knocked out, even on the NHs they can't refuse it.. You will just have to pay a bit more
  • Options
    I've had three root canals. None of the were pleasant. But nothing compares with the pain of a torn acl. Nothing.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I have been told by several people that a root canal is this single most painful experience of their life and that they would rather have their balls diced by a grid of superheated blades or their kneecaps removed my shotguns than go through one again.

Don't forget having your balls put on a table and hit with a hammer.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

If you are in that much pain ask to be knocked out, even on the NHs they can't refuse it.. You will just have to pay a bit more

Yes, I recently had some serious dental work done at Queen Marys Sidcup and they offered full anaesthetic (which I declined) but I can't praise them enough. The procedure wasn't very pleasant and lasted an hour but was done very professionally.
    Re. cost. I only paid for the dental appointments that got me sent to hospital.

The moral here is if you have a problem, don't wait for it to go away. It won't. Get it sorted asap.
  • Options
    I had root canal on two teeth in February and it wasn't painful at all. It was uncomfortable when they ground the teeth down to fit the crown but no pain Whatsoever.( apart from the cost)
    Go for it.
  • Options
    had root canal about two or three times. the procedure wasn't that bad it was the pain preceding it - and yes it is exactly as described. The dentist was deliberating if he could give me anaesthetic because I'd admitted to almost passing out with pain. If he'd waited any longer I'd have snatched the needle out of his hand and done it myself.
  • Options
    No pain for me either. It took over an hour and was horribly expensive but in the end I didn't really feel a thing.
  • Options
    Like a muppet I had root canal at Guys hospital by a student. I was poor and figured they be well supervised.

I was wrong. I cried a lot. She kept saying "it shouldn't be hurting" but, owing to the contraption keeping my mouth open, I was unable to say anything.

Next time it's anaesthetic. That stuff is magnificent!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a massive injection inserted into the side of my mouth (just under the tongue). Didn't feel a thing after that but the injection was very painful
  • Options
    The infection before my RC was far and away the most pain I have ever been in. After that the actual procedure itself was bizarrely therapeutic.
  • Options
    if you go to the dentist I think you do, he's a Millwall supporter and reads this forum.
  • Options

I've had three root canals. None of the were pleasant. But nothing compares with the pain of a torn acl. Nothing.

One nasty experience of my life compares to a torn acl Leroy..a torn pcl,mcl and tibia too at the same time :neutral:

• Options
    Think it just depends on how bad the tooth is. I had a root canal and can honestly say I felt barely any pain. Stung a tiny bit and my mouth was sore cause of the stuff jammed in but that's about it. Bit uncomfortable too cause it takes ages.

What did hurt was the build up to the root canal treatment. Got some serious tooth ache about a week before. Spent my day off work with one side of my face on a pillow pressed down.
  • Options
    Man up ffs.
  • Options
    I heard splitting your banjo string is pretty bad
  • Options
    Have IV sedation. It is the bollox. You are not asleep just out of it!!!

Had it about 10 years ago in dartford. Need an adult with you to take you home.

Don't remember from when they put the line into my hand until about 6 hours later.

My dad phoned that night to tell me all what I was saying.

The dental assistant was daughter of an old family friend not seen for years and I kept saying I couldn't believe she was a woman now.
    I also had an upset stomach that morning and kept on asking my dad to make sure I hadnt shit myself. I woke up on my sofa several hours later and on floor next to me was a newspaper, several unopened cans of soup, a betting slip and some bloody tissues. I had somehow gone into Dartford town centre and back with absolutely no recollection of doing so. People must have thought I was the local drunk/addict as I trudged through town bleeding profusely.
  • Options
    I've got to have a wisdom tooth out on Monday so thanks for all this!

:-(
  • Options
    I'm with you @MrOneLung the IV is awesome. Apparently it used to be cocaine and if that's true I can see how people get hooked.

I spent hours lol loping about on the sofa mumbling incoherently. But I did get a batman sticker so that's a bonus
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've got to have a wisdom tooth out on Monday so thanks for all this!

:-(

Now that's a really does hurt! ;-)
  • Options
    I need a root canal and have never been scared of the dentist... Until now. Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I'm with you @MrOneLung the IV is awesome. Apparently it used to be cocaine and if that's true I can see how people get hooked.

I spent hours lol loping about on the sofa mumbling incoherently. But I did get a batman sticker so that's a bonus

Am sure it was called Hypno-Caine or something like that.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Don't forget having your balls put on a table and hit with a hammer.
    You can't get that done on the NHS, YOU have to go "private" - so I'm told.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I heard splitting your banjo string is pretty bad

It bleeds. A lot. Painwise though, I didn't find it any worse than a papercut splashed with vinegar.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It's not painful, but isn't particularly pleasant either.

I've had to have a tooth removed under IV.....I can highly recommend it - the IV I mean not having a tooth out.
  • Options

I think women will tell you natural child birth smarts somewhat, although I've always told my wife they're built for it.

I've had root canal a couple of times and to honest it was only my wallet that felt the pain.
  • Options
    I've had root canal several times. As uncomfortable an experience as it is, I wouldn't call it painful. The pain is what comes before you get it done - I had an abscess that was the worst pain of my life. By the time I got to the dentist I would have paid to have my jaw removed. But the canal work itself... The injections are the hard bit. Maybe I just got lucky.
  • Options
    Just had root canal done this week, I think the issue is most root canal work is done due to abcess, the injections don't work until the abcess has gone. Spent a week on AB, loads of pain killers, mouth wash with whiskey and then all good for the root canal work. Also had IV before, which is the nuts, £250 for the pleasure though....
  • Options
    Ain't as bad as gout, worst pain known to mankind