Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

T20 Franchise Cricket

Comments

• Options
    A bit of a surprise to me but Chris Lynn has just one more game in the Big Bash for the Adelaide Strikers before he heads off to play for the Gulf Giants in the UAE T20 League. I'm not so sure how happy a County or Hundred side here would be quite so happy if an English player did that but I suppose, at the end of the day, money dictates. 
  • Options
    The Big Bash has been absolutely wonderful so far this season 
    I do believe that T20 cricket has, perversely, got better because the wickets, a lot of the time have got worse. It's meant that good bowling and batting is rewarded rather than batsmen always being on top and turning things into, each and every game, a one sided run fest. You want it to be a contest. 
    Absolutely. Every now and again its great fun to watch a side whack 220/230 on an absolute road. But most of the time the lower scoring games that offer a bit of assistance to the bowlers make for better viewing.
    This post aged well ;) 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I do believe that T20 cricket has, perversely, got better because the wickets, a lot of the time have got worse. It's meant that good bowling and batting is rewarded rather than batsmen always being on top and turning things into, each and every game, a one sided run fest. You want it to be a contest. 
    Absolutely. Every now and again its great fun to watch a side whack 220/230 on an absolute road. But most of the time the lower scoring games that offer a bit of assistance to the bowlers make for better viewing.
    This post aged well ;) 
    It's like I knew  :D As a Strikers fan i'm delighted. We needed that badly
  • Options
    Fantastic chase by Adelaide, although you have to say the death bowling from Hobart was poor to fail to defend 230.

Anyone else doing the Fantasy League? I've been doing the KFC Supercoach now for a few seasons. A great way to follow the Big Bash (and the NRL). Its a really good Fantasy League to play. You choose your squad, then enter into a 10 team league and play head to head matches.  Download the KFC Supercoach app in the App Store if you fancy a go.
  • Options
    Faheem making a bold claim for worst overseas player in franchise history 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Faheem making a bold claim for worst overseas player in franchise history 
    With the way they'd both bowled I think Tim David would've been a better choice. Obviously risky 
  • Options
    I also note Zak Crawley has taken to the BBL like a duck to water. Seems obvious he should be kn England's white ball plans 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I also note Zak Crawley has taken to the BBL like a duck to water. Seems obvious he should be kn England's white ball plans 
    Very unlucky not have been included more often in England's white ball sides
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Leuth said:
    This post aged well ;) 
    It's like I knew  :D As a Strikers fan i'm delighted. We needed that badly
    Their bowling will be somewhat weakened with the loss of Rashid Khan. Chris Lynn will be off too but their batting will be compensated with the return of Travis Head and Alex Carey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do quite enjoy the BBL, you do sometimes get some incredibly dodgy performances but it's usually good fun.

Wonder if Paddy Dooley the young Hurricanes spinner with the weird action is a proper talent or someone that once they've faced him for a season will get picked by batsmen? 
  • Options
    Manenti whilst clearly not on the level of Rashid Khan is a reasonable bowler and handy bat. Head & Carey will be a welcome boost too. Typical that Lynn is off just as he finally finds some form 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I do quite enjoy the BBL, you do sometimes get some incredibly dodgy performances but it's usually good fun.

Wonder if Paddy Dooley the young Hurricanes spinner with the weird action is a proper talent or someone that once they've faced him for a season will get picked by batsmen? 
    Well, we need to see if he's done his shoulder first! He looks like he only really bowls the googly tbh
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    yeah but can he slow down from the pace of his test opening to the more sedate T20 style....
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Equally very lucky at times to have kept his place in England's Test side. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Well, we need to see if he's done his shoulder first! He looks like he only really bowls the googly tbh

Ah yes fair point, that did look quite serious. The BBL does produce these out of nowhere spinners like Hazogolu last season with the Scorchers.
  • Options
    So, we will have not one, not two, not three but four T20 franchise tournaments going on at the same time - the Big Bash, the Bangladesh PL, the South Africa T20 and the International League T20. This only serves to dilute the quality of the cricket on offer and the biggest sufferers of that will be the Big Bash with most of their overseas recruits and even a few of their home players (the likes of Chris Lynn) missing the final few weeks of that tournament. Money talks as they say.
  • Options
    So, we will have not one, not two, not three but four T20 franchise tournaments going on at the same time - the Big Bash, the Bangladesh PL, the South Africa T20 and the International League T20. This only serves to dilute the quality of the cricket on offer and the biggest sufferers of that will be the Big Bash with most of their overseas recruits and even a few of their home players (the likes of Chris Lynn) missing the final few weeks of that tournament. Money talks as they say.

The only plus side with the BBL is all the Aussie test internationals are available now , think even Steve Smith is playing for the Sixers for the first time in a long while. 
  • Options
    The SA20 running whilst England playing SA is wonderfully idiotic 
  • Options
    The only - ONLY - ultimately feasible solution is for players to be registered to a single T20 club side which plays in a worldwide league. This requires Pakistan and India to kiss and make up, though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is the way of the world sadly. Cricket has reached saturation point where less is no longer more. The only thing that it does mean is that some average cricketers are getting the chance to play on a bigger stage when they wouldn't otherwise have been able to do so.  
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Totally agree @Billy_Mix
  • Options
    It’s not - there is a break in the SA20 for the ODI series. 
  • Options
    Make that five T20 comps concurrently running - the NZ Super Smash is currently taking place (and televised by BT too). This is very much a domestic comp but there are some well known players taking part but, again, not helped by the fact that there is currently a NZ tour of Pakistan with the 3rd ODI starting in an hour
  • Options
    The ICC never got a grip on this, and with the power of the BCCI and the IPL franchises, it's too late for a rational and organised T20 fixture schedule. 

At a minimum, surely Australia, NZ and South Africa can get together to avoid future clashes? 
  • Options
    Roelof vd Merwe has just returned the rather splendid figures of 6-20 in the SA20. This, after his own side set a total of 210-2 thanks in no small measure to the innings of Rossington who hit 72 off 30 balls
  • Options
    A good day for big men! 
  • Options
    Like him or not (and quite a few non Australians do) Steve Smith has been in simply unplayable form on his return to the Big Bash. His scores have been 36 (27), 101 (56), 125* (66) and 66 (33). That's 328 runs at an average of 109.33 and strike rate of 180.21. To put that into perspective, the leading runs scorer in the BB has 458 runs at an average of 38.16 and SR of 145.85

We did see the selfish/single minded attitude of Smith today though in reviewing an LBW decision that was always going to be smashing into the stumps. So much so that he was seen walking off the pitch as soon as he saw the replay on the big screen!
  • Options
    It’s not - there is a break in the SA20 for the ODI series. 
    Ahh fair play! Still seems an odd timing when they're trying to launch their comp