Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Hewie RIP

Comments

• Options
    RIP John
  • Options
    RIP John

Is he our most capped International whilst playing for Charlton ?
  • Options
    R.I.P. John, I saw his last few seasons for us. Great stalwart who gave his absolute all for the club. Apparently he was a very good table tennis player too.
  • Options
    RIP a true CAFC legend. one of my late Dads favorites
  • Options
    Legend, absolute gentleman, so modest, gutted. R.I.P. Played baseball at international level, just one of the nicest men you could wish to meet, affection for Charlton never wained, our most capped player for God knows how many of our lives. Just one lovely man, RIP Long Fellow.
  • Options
    RIP legend.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Very sad news. RIP John.
  • Options
    Very nice, friendly and unassuming man.
    R.I.P John.
  • Options
    r i p, sad news.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Never saw him play, but my Dad spoke so much about him that I thought I knew him. RIP John.
  • Options
    After I was encouraged to follow Charlton by my dad, he mentioned some of our famous players, at the top of the list was John Hewie. Wasn't he one of our South African contingent? Overused word, but not in his case - Legend.
  • Options
    RIP. Yep, a true Charlton legend. John Hewie.
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    Very sad news. RIP.
  • Options
    Charlton legend

RIP
  • Options
    RIP John Hewie. One of the greats.
  • Options
    Very sad news. I saw John play a number of times at the end of his career. A truly natural footballer in any position he was asked to play in. You will be missed. RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have recently, with help from this forum, completed some research on John Hewie's career. The two most frequent words that cropped up were "gentleman" and "versatile". When playing for Scotland he was both the nominated penalty taker and - in those pre-substitute days - stand-in goalkeeper. John Hewie RIP
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I was not lucky enough to see him play, but my late Dad and older brother both did. Another true legend gone. Very sad. R.I.P. John.
  • Options
    RIP to a Charlton legend.
  • Options

Charlton legend.

RIP
  • Options
    He represented everything that Charlton meant for me from 1959......and is probably the cause of my still hanging around and hoping. R.I.P. tall John and thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    John Hewie turned Pro with CAFC in October 49, and finally left us after Playing
    530 league and cup games in 1966; spanning 3 decades !
    When you consider some players just stay for 3 season now ?
    Autumn, winter and spring.

John is a true Legend of Charlton Athletic
    and i'm old enough too have seen a few of his last games For CAFC.
    My Dad told me about how he would play in any position to help the team
    and including keeper (No subs then)

19 caps for Scotland as well.

Do any of our older fans know if John had a
    South African, Scottish or English accent ?
    Or a combo of all 3.

RIP.

• Options
    RIP...