Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Hewie RIP

WSSWSS
edited May 2015 in General Charlton
Just saw Mick Everett tweet that he has passed away.

RIP

Comments

• Options
    Another true Charlton Legend. RIP
  • Options
    If so .. RIP .. as writ, a DEFINITE CAFC legend
  • Options
    Overused word but not in this case, one of the true Charlton greats from the late 40's/50's playing almost 500 games.

God bless you John an Addicks legend
  • Options
    Long John, utter legend, a true Charlton Athletic star...was a player when I first started watching Charlton.
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP to the great man.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    CAFCofficialCharlton are saddened to hear of the passing of former defender John Hewie, who has died at the age of 86. RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Rip big man.
    The word legend gets banded around very easily these days but I am sure that we can safely call John a legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    one of our few Scottish internationals, remember him well, a versitile player and Charlton legend.
    R.I.P.
  • Options

A legend indeed, but even more so than most (if that makes sense) - a connection to the great days of the 50s, one of our South African legion, an international stalwart for Scotland, a utility player par excellence (topped by an unforgettable four undefeated games in goal), and a genial giant - RIP, Long John ....
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP, John - 495 appearances for Charlton - that will take some beating!
  • Options
    Very sad news. So pleased the PFA were able to ease his last few months.

A hero of my dad's so feels like another connection gone.
  • Options
    Awful news RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP legend
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Very sad. A great Charlton player and one I was lucky enough to see play in the later years of his career
  • Options
    way before my time but all the charlton books i have read and stories i have been told i can definitely call him a legend. RIP
  • Options
    One of my early Charlton heroes. RIP John Hewie, god bless.
  • Options
    RIP John. Sad to hear.
  • Options
    Another cafc legend looking down upon us that's some team up there in the last few years, hopefully he will be at peace now after his stressful last few years

RIP John sleep well godbless
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this news.

He was right at the tail end of his Charlton career when I was first taken down The Valley as a small kid, so only saw him play for the Addicks very few times.

A clearer memory is of Long John still playing at over 40 years old, as player-manager of Bexley United at Park View Road in the old Southern League. That would have been around 1968.

Off the top of my head, that team would have included Colin Knott and Vic Akers at fullback, Georgie Best lookalike Dickie Wheeler in midfield and ex-Charlton winger Eddie Werge - no doubt an old friend of John's doing him a favour. And, of course John himself, lanky and skinny as a rake, still ploughing through the PVR mud for the sheer love of playing.

• Options
    One of my favourites as a kid, and everyone around me on the terraces, too. Never heard a bad word spoken of him.
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    Sad but not totally unexpected it would seem.

I was lucky enough to watch him play.

He had a couple of testimonial matches and Johnny Haynes and Jimmy Langley of Fulham 'guested' for Charlton in the match against Chelsea if memory serves me right.

Played every position except outside right and outside left for us.

What a shame he didn't make the Hall of Fame in the week before his death.

RIP Long John.