Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Winger waiting to hear Duchatelet's plans before committing to CAFC stay

2»

Comments

• Seasons only just finished and already the bed wetting has started. How about waiting till the end of june to see Rolands intentions.

Sod that mate.
    I want to guess, speculate and whinge like everyone else - what the hell else is a discussion forum for? ;-)
    I'll be lucky if I hold out 'til the end of the week, never mind June
  • Gudmundsson, Buyens and Bulot all have a year left and will each be in a position to consider offers, moves or running down their deals. As per Henderson at the POTY, if the club are building a play-off challenger then they need to offer the right deals now to the talent they wish to keep.
    The payoff is a 25% shot at £160m over five years.

In an ideal world I'd like to see all three in a Charlton shirt next season plus at least one more quality striker.
    But it's more likely at least one will be off due to telephone number offers for both player and club(s). As @cafctom stated it's likely with five(?) players being released that RD might sign ten just like last summer... Loans, frees and two or three for a fee.

Some have already observed, it's better to have players who command such interest than the bottom six squad we had this time last year. We just have to live with that and it will all be resolved soon enough.

And I certainly want to see the club match JBG's ambition. As he and Buyens said the other night they can earn 5x their contract value in the FAPL. If nobody comes in with an acceptable offer then these players will be very motivated to play their best for us next season. One way or another they might be playing for a 3 year deal worth £4m!

So coming to us is a good career move after all! Certainly for Gudmundsson who now has a very strong reputation in this country.

That's based on what makes sense to me and also what Henderson said at the POTY - if he's right and the club are aiming for the top six next time then they will have a good idea what our top 18-20 players needs to look like, not just a decent first XI.

Basically nobody knows if JBG will be playing in our shirt next time but he was very clear last week that slotting more quality and talent into what we already have should move us up the league.

Conversely, if the club do not show ambition then decent players will go elsewhere. And that kills the model of developing and acquiring young talent to help fund the club. Somehow I don't think M.Duchatelet wants to kill the model having got us this far in 16 months.