Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Winger waiting to hear Duchatelet's plans before committing to CAFC stay

Comments

• Lets hope RD has the ambition required and we can keep JBG. He wants to stay, likes it here, but needs to see if we are buying for a really good push or just to consolidate. Come on RD, look at what Bournemouth have achieved and look what they are going to get money wise for going into the Prem, you know it makes sense!!
  • "Every player wants to play in the Premier League" yeah and you'd maybe cut the mustard in the Scottish PL. What a smug tw@t. If he's not fully committed to striving for promotion with Charlton he can quickly and quietly fara ríða sér.
  • cant see RD being held to ransom like this - doesn't strike me as the type.
  • I feel a bit the same as JBG actually.
    Hopefully Roland has seen how a smaller club than ours can make it to the Premier League without outrageous spending, and make a load of dosh for the owner.
  • If a Prem team comes in for him, he'll be gone.
  • edited May 2015
    His words are code for "if you want me, speak to my agent and start talking turkey so that I know what my options are and I have a bargaining base just in case I decide to stay here/I'm stuck here". In his situation I'd do the same myself. If it's the good JBG Roland should make a serious offer. If it's the version that was in show in thr first half on Saturday he's dispensable. I'd like him to stay but I won't be on sharp object watch if he doesn't.
  • Well if Roland wants to make dough out of Football then he could do a lot worse than invest in CAFC and get us to the Premiership. Keep telling him that and he may believe it. But for us to progress next season we really need to keep JBG no question
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing wrong in what he is saying. Still has a year on his contract, wants to play prem league, if charlton show ambition he will sign a longer contract. If not he will leave.

If he wasn't good enough we would soon get rid of him wouldn't we!
  • I hate to say it but I think we all know already that it'll be a case of selling and replacing rather than keeping and building.
  • I hate to say it but I think we all know already that it'll be a case of selling and replacing rather than keeping and building.

I really want to disagree with this but I'm having trouble.

• edited May 2015
    I don't blame JBG for doing it (maybe didn't need to do it publicly) - I just don't think Rolands (apparent) ego will play ball
  • I've a feeling he will go if an offer comes in from a PL club, which I don't think can be held against him.

Roland can go and sign 10 players, but the likelihood is nobody will have any idea how good they are until we see them play. That was the case last Summer afterall, JBG included. This will be even more so the case if the signings come from the usual outlets (Belgium clubs, Liege loans, free agents).
  • So how much money did Charlton lose this season? If we break even/ make a profit by letting JBG and JG go to prem clubs and spend just enough to keep us up next year RD will probably see that as good sense. Consolidation, financial sustainability and one year at some time in the future the right combination of youth product and fortuitous signings takes us up.
  • So how much money did Charlton lose this season? If we break even/ make a profit by letting JBG and JG go to prem clubs and spend just enough to keep us up next year RD will probably see that as good sense. Consolidation, financial sustainability and one year at some time in the future the right combination of youth product and fortuitous signings takes us up.

Risky strategy though. Almost certain to guarantee relegation at some point and it won't take long for players to catch wind that signing for Charlton is not a good career move. Hope you are wrong.

• JBG wants to see signs of ambition this summer; Luzon is hoping to keep the good players and add 5/6 more of equivalent quality and obviously it's what the fans want.
    Can't help thinking we are setting ourselves up for a fall!
  • Reads to me like JBG advertising his services. And I'm a big fan so not criticising him.
  • Ross_cafc said:

I don't blame JBG for doing it (maybe didn't need to do it publicly) - I just don't think Rolands (apparent) ego will play ball

If RD has an ego that means players who try to negotiate with him are bombed out we will quickly lose all our decent ones. I don't think he is that daft.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think he is saying the only thing that is palatable that justifies his actions. He is refusing to sign a new contract which makes it much easier for him to orchestrate a move - either this summer or next summer on a free.

If he came out and said that having had a decent season he believes that he might be able to get a move to a Premier League club and a huge pay rise and is worried that signing a new contract might make it harder to blackmail the club by threatening to leave for nothing next summer he would be vilified.

Bit like Wayne Rooney who said he needed to see more quality signings for Man Utd but changed his mind when he was offered £250k a month.
  • I'd love to see Yohan sign a new contract... For us! But I can't see it somehow.
    I just hope he's not sold to Palace, who will probably be looking at a replacement for Bolasie, who will go to Liverpool, if Sterling is sold, wonder if this saga will be over quickly, or dragged through the summer?

Do we?
  • edited May 2015
    Had the pleasure of his company at the POTY award, and was impressed, not only with the excellent command of English, but his general intellect. He was very gracious, and appeared to have enjoyed his time at CAFC. Of course part of these 'events' is a charm offensive, so I tend to not ask leading questions... but he had a good sense of humour.
    When someone mentioned a reference to getting 'rat arsed', he was intrigued to know what this meant, seemed very popular, but I am sure he knows what he wants to do with his career. Personally I think he would be hard to retain, if he wanted to go, but then again, one meeting hardly gives you an insight into a player's real ambition. I am biased because I voted for him.
    I think it will be a measure of RD's intent if he and Joe Gomez, as well as Jordan go elsewhere.
    Must admit, not alway's impressed with meeting some players, but this guy was someone who I would want to keep.
  • Seasons only just finished and already the bed wetting has started. How about waiting till the end of june to see Rolands intentions. Guessing is a waste of time.
  • edited May 2015
    Translation:

To keep me, my new contract will have to be Premier League money as I can get it elsewhere.

Fair enough.
  • What if the whole team were sold , what is one to do?
  • What if the whole team were sold , what is one to do?

Apply for a season ticket refund for starters.......
  • vffvff
    edited May 2015
    Saw a documentary on Iceland on the BBC the other day. It was great, stuff on Eiderdown ducks, how the Icelandic fit in with nature and a spectacular volcanic bit at the end. Watch it in HD, it was great. Very scenic. Lots ducklets and wild horses. Kids will like it as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05sz8q8/natural-world-20152016-5-iceland-land-of-ice-and-fire
  • Alright we'll tell JBG that unless he signs, we'll let off another volcano