Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Don't you know your history?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Was Le Tissier loyal? Or did he enjoy being a big fish too much to risk it at a bigger club? I genuinely don't know, but I think it's a shame he didn't move on.

Nail on head Jimmy, big fish in a small pond great skill but little industry when not on the ball which the Saints were happy to run with. Hero worshipped by their fans though.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

The history of the club was an important part of SCPs strategy when enticing new players to the club followed by a meal with their other halves at the Valley overlooking the pitch. If you or your PA reads this Katrien and you have not adopted this approach thus far, give it a whirl.

And that worked SO well last season, didn't it?
    Do what? Oh you want to hone in on the end of the SCP reign rather than the beginning when he assembled a squad in his first full season that smashed all records when getting promoted and had the strongest bond as any squad I have witnessed in the last 55 years, over to you.
    In a League lower than the one we're in now.

When we were BOTTOM of the league, and had just had our arses kicked by a team from the league we had got out of.

And they did not look bonded on that painful Sunday in Sheffield.

And, PLEASE, explain to me that it was working when CP got sacked. Against all evidence to the contrary!
  • Options
    iainment said:

Greenie said:

Why would they know about the clubs history, most footballers are mercinerary and will play for the club who pays the highest wages.
    Club loyalty dissapered when Matt Le Tissier hung up his boots.

There's been a few since him.

Giggs and Scholes spring immediately to mind.
    The worst example of players showing loyalty to a club I can imagine.

So tough earning money that most professional footballers can only dream about, winning trophies practically every season.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

The history of the club was an important part of SCPs strategy when enticing new players to the club followed by a meal with their other halves at the Valley overlooking the pitch. If you or your PA reads this Katrien and you have not adopted this approach thus far, give it a whirl.

And that worked SO well last season, didn't it?
    Do what? Oh you want to hone in on the end of the SCP reign rather than the beginning when he assembled a squad in his first full season that smashed all records when getting promoted and had the strongest bond as any squad I have witnessed in the last 55 years, over to you.
    In a League lower than the one we're in now.

When we were BOTTOM of the league, and had just had our arses kicked by a team from the league we had got out of.

And they did not look bonded on that painful Sunday in Sheffield.

And, PLEASE, explain to me that it was working when CP got sacked. Against all evidence to the contrary!
    Classic absolutely classic you've completely missed the point haven't you never mind, haters just gotta hate. AFKA was right the other day when he said your handle couldn't be more apt.
  • Options
    Did you go to the POTY dinner last night.

The players all looked happy and well bonded. Without having dinner with CP.

Including watching Jacko and Church larking about outside the club shop at gone midnight.

25 years ago, players used to smoke in the tunnel, and drink themselves into a stupor on a match night.

That worked then, maybe we should go back to doing that?

Just because something MAY have worked in the past, doesn't mean it will always work.

Don't you even consider that perhaps the team we had in League 1 was just better than all the other teams in the league? It doesn't mean they would be after promotion.

On another thread, as a stick to beat RD, it was said that teams have to improve to stand still.

Presumably, according to you, unless it was something a sacked manager did...
  • Options
    "Haters gotta hate"...

True if you dare to criticise a previous manager, but no doubt no true if the current manager wants to do something different.

The word "HYPOCRISY" has just lit up in 9' high purple neon letters in my brain...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    What are you banging on about for goodness sake the thread title is about knowing your history as a new incumbent to the squad something Powell believed strongly in which he had learnt off of Curbs that's it, nothing more nothing less! Getting a new player to buy into where the club has come from and what the fans have had to suffer in the past, a Phoenix rising from the ashes.

Nothing to do with Powell's demise which has been done to death on here but you still can't resist digging him out.

Oh and you seem to have glossed over the happiness of the players under Big Bob for some reason, maybe he should have opted for the history lesson and dinners overlooking the pitch routine.
  • Options
    And what if the footballers don't give a monkey's what has happened in the past?

What if they are ambitious and want to know what we are going to do in the future?

Should we ram our past down their throat, alienate them, and risk them changing their mind about signing?

Do you know for a fact that a player will perform better for us knowing our history, than if they don't?

For a footballer it is a job. A lot of people in employment, the history of the company is irrelevant. They want to get paid a wage for the work they do. They want to be sure they get paid every week. They want security, and know they have a chance of promotion (which works in employment, and football).

For example JBG has already made it abundantly clear he won't sign another contract until he sees the club's ambitions in the close season.

Do you think that showing him the 100 years of Charlton Athletic video will make him break down in tears, and sign a new contract for less money?

History is great FOR THE FANS. Players, generally, are not supporters. It is their job.

And,you accuse me of digging out CP, but it was YOU who brought him up...
  • Options

"A volunteer initiative to preserve and display the heritage of our football club for the local community and supporters"

That's the mission statement of the Charlton Athletic Museum.

Note the word "volunteer". We don't get any money from the Football Club.

NATWEST BANK:
    Account Name: The Charlton Athletic Museum
    Sort Code: 60-16-03
    Account No: 7377 2593

If you want to help

Henry, when Katrien visited the museum, which is a great credit to you and your fellow helpers, did you not ask for a couple of hundred from the club or do you feel that it's best to be independent ?

• Options
    edited May 2015

And what if the footballers don't give a monkey's what has happened in the past?

What if they are ambitious and want to know what we are going to do in the future?

Should we ram our past down their throat, alienate them, and risk them changing their mind about signing?

Do you know for a fact that a player will perform better for us knowing our history, than if they don't?

For a footballer it is a job. A lot of people in employment, the history of the company is irrelevant. They want to get paid a wage for the work they do. They want to be sure they get paid every week. They want security, and know they have a chance of promotion (which works in employment, and football).

For example JBG has already made it abundantly clear he won't sign another contract until he sees the club's ambitions in the close season.

Do you think that showing him the 100 years of Charlton Athletic video will make him break down in tears, and sign a new contract for less money?

History is great FOR THE FANS. Players, generally, are not supporters. It is their job.

And,you accuse me of digging out CP, but it was YOU who brought him up...

I'm getting bored with this exchange we are just not on the same wavelength. Just to recap Powell and Curbs in my eyes had their recruitment strategy spot on. It was tried and trusted and is a shame that some of the new incumbents have not been enlightened about our past and yes I do think it matters to them.

The fact that you can't seem to accept anything that Powell did for this club was good and immediately went off on a tangent vilifying the bloke is your problem and I can't help you with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jimmy, Yoni knew about our years in the Premiership, as he stated at the Eltham addick's meeting last week, and Johann who is a Man United Fan like his dad and Granddad would have known as well but maybe was just unsure of the years.
    He said he watched the Premiership every week on the TV in Iceland.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

"A volunteer initiative to preserve and display the heritage of our football club for the local community and supporters"

That's the mission statement of the Charlton Athletic Museum.

Note the word "volunteer". We don't get any money from the Football Club.

NATWEST BANK:
    Account Name: The Charlton Athletic Museum
    Sort Code: 60-16-03
    Account No: 7377 2593

If you want to help

Henry, when Katrien visited the museum, which is a great credit to you and your fellow helpers, did you not ask for a couple of hundred from the club or do you feel that it's best to be independent ?

The museum was set up on the understanding that it would be at zero cost to the football club so I wouldn't ask for money from KM or RD. The club help in other ways but the war memorial and the whole room was paid for via donations and fundraising, much of it via CL for which we are very grateful.

We like the freedom that brings even if that means it takes longer to get where we want to.