Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Don't you know your history?

Sat with JBG at the awards do last night, GlassHalfFull and I quizzed him about his knowledge of the club. Turns out he knew very little of our recent history, as we explained why Airman and Murray appeared to be in a heated debate, what the Valley party was, showed him pictures of the dilapidated ground and how the club came home. He even asked us when we had been in the Premier League (although this might have been polite conversation).

I was surprised by all this. I'd perhaps naively assumed players learnt about their new clubs when they joined. I know it's a thing they did at Bournemouth, instilling a sense of where the club came from in the new signings. I wondered if JBG was an exception, or if indeed it's something others think important?

Comments

• Options
    two egos rutting at a supporter do,
  • Options
    We were in the Premier League ?
  • Options
    Need to remember the past and focus on future
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It's not really a surprise. There are many young fans who no nothing about our turbulent past.
    It's a shame that the players aren't told any more about our history but to be fair I don't expect our manager knows ( or really cares) about what happened 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. It's all about the now.

History is for us, the fans.
  • Options

It's because of the past that we still have a future.
    Very wise Glasshopper.

• Options

It's not really a surprise. There are many young fans who no nothing about turbulent past.
    It's a shame that the players aren't told any more about our history but to be fair I don't expect our manager knows ( or really cares) about what happened 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. It's all about the now.

Though the new club historian could maybe do a talk to brand new players every summer on the history of the club.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Curbs used to do it and he wasn't a bad manager.

Boring, mid table and Premiership but not bad....

True... Didn't he sit down with pdc and watch the anniversary video?
  • Options
    Comparing PDC and JBG is chalk and cheese.

PDC and his Latin temperament was always going to fall for the romance of that video.

It would probably have negligible affect on someone with JBG's temperament. He is likely interested in the future (including his own), rather than something that happened before he was born.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Not surprised by this at all. Football clubs are bit of a revolving door nowadays. i get the impression that most players aren't particularly bothered what happened before their time at a club.

I'm glad he didn't win player of the year now and hope he goes to Hull!!! (:
  • Options
    The only bit that's a surprise is that he didn't know we'd been in the Premier League - I assumed the PL was global enough that it would be fairly well-known.

But then again, we haven't been there for a few years now; and I suppose I wouldn't necessarily expect that someone from another country would see a name like (e.g.) Birmingham or Reading and say "Oh, I know them, they used to be in the Premier League!"
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

It's not really a surprise. There are many young fans who no nothing about turbulent past.

Though the new club historian could maybe do a talk to brand new players every summer on the history of the club.
    The museum is looking into this
  • Options

It's because of the past that we still have a future.
    Amen to that mate hope you had a great night
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

The new Club Historian took the academy players to Ypres last summer and, as CAFC999 says, we're talking about taking new youngsters around the museum.

Would be happy to do the same with the first team squad.
  • Options

Thanks, NLA - very emotional evening, and I'm still absolutely overwhelmed thinking about it.
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed it mate,
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Not surprised to be honest, generally players aren't fussed on that stuff, and let's be honest every year that goes by there are fewer and fewer people around the club and training ground who are either 'proper Charlton' or have had any longevity.
  • Options
    Why would they know about the clubs history, most footballers are mercinerary and will play for the club who pays the highest wages.
    Club loyalty dissapered when Matt Le Tissier hung up his boots.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    some young - and some not so young - people think that Churchill is the telly dog who tries to flog us over priced insurance and that the battle of Waterloo took place in 1066
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The history of the club was an important part of SCPs strategy when enticing new players to the club followed by a meal with their other halves at the Valley overlooking the pitch. If you or your PA reads this Katrien and you have not adopted this approach thus far, give it a whirl.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

The history of the club was an important part of SCPs strategy when enticing new players to the club followed by a meal with their other halves at the Valley overlooking the pitch. If you or your PA reads this Katrien and you have not adopted this approach thus far, give it a whirl.

And that worked SO well last season, didn't it?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

RedChaser said:

And that worked SO well last season, didn't it?
    Do what? Oh you want to hone in on the end of the SCP reign rather than the beginning when he assembled a squad in his first full season that smashed all records when getting promoted and had the strongest bond as any squad I have witnessed in the last 55 years, over to you.
  • Options
    "A volunteer initiative to preserve and display the heritage of our football club for the local community and supporters"

That's the mission statement of the Charlton Athletic Museum.

Note the word "volunteer". We don't get any money from the Football Club.

NATWEST BANK:
    Account Name: The Charlton Athletic Museum
    Sort Code: 60-16-03
    Account No: 7377 2593

If you want to help

• Options
    Greenie said:

Why would they know about the clubs history, most footballers are mercinerary and will play for the club who pays the highest wages.

There's been a few since him.

Giggs and Scholes spring immediately to mind.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Greenie said:

There's been a few since him.

Giggs and Scholes spring immediately to mind.
    Real tough staying at such a small club like United ;)
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Perhaps this is exactly why they should know!
  • Options
    Was Le Tissier loyal? Or did he enjoy being a big fish too much to risk it at a bigger club? I genuinely don't know, but I think it's a shame he didn't move on.