Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chelsea - Abramovich sanctioned (p9)

Comments

• Options
    I think you're all thinking this changes a lot more than it actually does.

Ticket sales means nothing in the Premier League in terms of revenue as Covid showed. Teams can get by with no fans without much trouble. Chelsea may choose instead to raffle tickets away for free rather than sell them. 

Buying and selling players? That only matters if the sanctions against Chelsea last until the summer. I have a strong feeling they won't be. One way or another this will be resolved in time for the end of the season. 

The ongoing losses again were given a significant period of time for Chelsea to sort out before the sanctions hit. Warning Roman sanctions were coming has probably led to him leaving a sizable sum in their bank to keep the club ticking over 'just in case'. 
    Agreed, there's no way it'll carry on for months and let Chelsea go into next season playing in front of empty stadiums (as no one will be able to get a ticket that's not already issued). But even if it wasn't resolved it's not like they desperately need to buy players, they've got the likes of Gallagher, Broja and Gilmour returning from loans so i'm sure they'd be ok.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Wage bill is £28m a month 😄😄😄😄
    Who will pay that now?

???
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    IdleHans said:
    I'm going to spend the afternoon looking for Russians in the palace ownership structure. Fingers crossed!
    Unfortunately I think the closest link you will find is some borscht in the World Foods aisle in their Sainsbury’s. 
  • Options
    Am I wrong in thinking if Chelsea are able to operate “normally” which is what they’re hoping for, then what was the point in sanctioning him? Seems like it’s a PR spin from the Govt if so. What other assets does he have in the UK apart from property?
  • Options
    I think you're all thinking this changes a lot more than it actually does.

Ticket sales means nothing in the Premier League in terms of revenue as Covid showed. Teams can get by with no fans without much trouble. Chelsea may choose instead to raffle tickets away for free rather than sell them. 

Buying and selling players? That only matters if the sanctions against Chelsea last until the summer. I have a strong feeling they won't be. One way or another this will be resolved in time for the end of the season. 

The ongoing losses again were given a significant period of time for Chelsea to sort out before the sanctions hit. Warning Roman sanctions were coming has probably led to him leaving a sizable sum in their bank to keep the club ticking over 'just in case'. 
    All true...but surely the flow of money from Sky, BT, Amazon will all have to stop.  And FA payments for global rights?  I would think they will be in trouble pretty quickly unless the government eases the 'no sale' rule and allows it to be sold - as long as RA doesn't get any of the proceeds.
  • Options
    They’ll be back to signing players like Micky Droy and Mark Stein before we know it 😄
  • Options
    Oh dear what a shame, couldn’t give a f***

RA made billions from dodgy O&G + steel deals that his mate Putin allowed & profited from. 

RA won’t die a pauper that’s for sure but I do feel for the non playing employees at CFC as they will be the 1st to be shown the door if the sanctions go on for many a month. I do know some decent Chelsea fans, been fans before RA rolled up so feel a tad sympathetic toward those, but not the post RA take-over fans. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not read whole thread but surely Chelsea will now not receive Sky payments or prize money ?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Nug said:
    Am I wrong in thinking if Chelsea are able to operate “normally” which is what they’re hoping for, then what was the point in sanctioning him? Seems like it’s a PR spin from the Govt if so. What other assets does he have in the UK apart from property?
    A club who are in the most lucrative league in the world and who are current Champions of Europe - that's a pretty big asset that he is going to lose.
    Yes, even though it was never a money earner for him. It was symbol, a massive symbol, for him and for Putin. Just as hosting WC 2018 was. You might call it "soft power' but the Russians don't know how to do "soft".
  • Options
    "This will include seeking permission for the licence to be amended in order to allow the Club to operate as normal as possible. We will also be seeking guidance from the UK Government on the impact of these measures on the Chelsea Foundation and its important work in our communities."

Basically: we are going to ask the government to get rid of the license altogether. But pretend it's still there. 
  • Options
    If there is to be an upside in this maybe it will be to prick the financial bubble that is the PL & for more sensible player wages to become the norm.

I see the financial crisis emerging as an opportunity for Sky & others to negotiate down as they will lose customers themselves as the country tightens its belt. An opportunity to reset may emerge.

It will only be some players that 'suffer' (though not literally) as its been said elsewhere club staff rarely enjoy big salaries.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    So let me get my head around this...

They've got no income at all now...
    They're wage bill is £28m A MONTH...
    They've already exceeded the cumulative losses rule over 3 seasons linked to FFP... naughty naughty...
    The holding company owes RA £1.5bn  (presumably now that RA has been sanctioned, he just cant write off that £1.5bn owed, can he?)...
    RA cant sell the club..
    Can't renew contracts...
    Cant make any new signings...
    Their own horrible fans cant even buy a ticket to go see them play...

Have I missed anything?
    but the fans are still smiling ((:>) .. already rumours of Tuchel jumping ship (or yacht) .. be interesting to see how the players perform at Noridge tonight .. I suspect they will put on a show and exhibit some pride
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Tuchel wondering how to fit Gunter and Watson into Chelsea’s system next season 
    Gunter just purely for the shirt sales in Wales, being such an international legend! Oh...hang on, the club shop is shut haha!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shrew said:
    While agreeing completely with sanctions on the likes of Abramovich and other Russian billionaires the actions of Saudi Arabia (with the support of UK and American weapons) has wrecked havoc on the Yemen, killing over 20,000 civilians through bombing and the likelihood of starvation hanging over 12 million children. So where is this line drawn in terms of owners whose profits are from or support immense suffering ?
    @Shrew allegedly it depends on whether you are backed by the East or West and how many government contracts/UK jobs are involved. That might be wrong though...just heard that from a bloke down the pub, so who knows?
  • Options
    Shirt sponsor THREE have pulled out of their deal. Interesting to say how they put their bills ? 
  • Options
    Im wondering about Bruce Buck's future as chairman. Very close to Abramovic from before the purchase. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Wage bill is £28m a month 😄😄😄😄
    Who will pay that now?
    They must have money in the bank for a bit of cash flow. I'm sure a business that was valued at £3,000,000,000 only last week would be able to find a trifling £28,000,000 down the back of a directors box sofa. 
    £16 million 'cash at bank' apparently - and RA cannot feed in any more.
    I believe the £16 million was shown in the end of year accounts, it’s seems very low for a company turning over around £420 million p/a.
    They will have of course generated income since then, but I get the feeling they could be in a world of pain very soon withe RAs cash coming in, having said that I do expect a sale relatively quickly.
  • Options
    Keep reading the thread title as "Abramovic sectioned'
  • Options
    Im wondering about Bruce Buck's future as chairman. Very close to Abramovic from before the purchase. 
    You'd expect any new owner would want their own person in charge anyway plus the guy is nearly 80 so probably time to step down.

A bigger loss for Chelsea i think would be if Marina Granovskaia leaves. Recently voted the 'best club director in football' but she is of course Russian and very close to Abramovich, having worked for him for years even before he owned Chelsea.