Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve McClaren - Newcastle Bound. A Marriage Made In Heaven?

2»

Comments

• Options

cabbles said:

Hasnt been sacked yet... He's having talks with Derby today... THEN he'll be sacked :)

He's a shit manager. He's good in a coaching set up but not getting Derby up has proved he doesn't have it in him. If gets the boot by Derby I don't expect him to get another shot in English football
    He's part of a group of Managers who somehow always seem to end up getting another job... Almost like the interview goes as follows:

Interviewer... So what happened at x club, how did you mess up so badly
    McLaren... Wasnt my fault (With a shrug)
    Interviewer... I'm sold... Lets take wages
    Dean Saunders was on Sky Sports News the other day talking about being given another new job despite three consecutive relegations.

Basically he said he took over halfway through each season so none of them were his fault.

Didn't have the skill to turn any of them around though did you, Dean?
  • Options
    To be fair he did very well at Middlesbrough, 7th in Prem, League Cup winners, UEFA Cup finalists that is no mean feat. Also won the Dutch League with Twente Enschede for the first time in their history.

Took on too much when attempting to invent a new language during interviews that made Dutch accessible to English tourists but nobody's perfect.

We like to mock him for his 'wally with a brolly' disaster with England but I still say he's not a bad club manager.
  • Options

Not a fan of McCLaren after the crap job he did for England, but he built a very good Derby side. Can't believe how he has cocked it all up tbh!!!

Apart from a tough game in Russia, two key games ruined it for him, both against Croatia. The first was a travesty based on the utterly dreadful performance of Paul Robinson in goal. McLaren played 3-5-2 which was bold - and mostly effective but for Robinson screwing it all up. The second was again undermined by a goalkeeping howler, although I would blame McLaren for not giving Carson a run out in the friendliest that preceded it.

Ultimatley, McLaren is a bit of a knob. Overly familiar with the players and stupendously smug. But I can't help but feel he was a but unlucky in his brief spell in charge.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Not a fan of McCLaren after the crap job he did for England, but he built a very good Derby side. Can't believe how he has cocked it all up tbh!!!

Apart from a tough game in Russia, two key games ruined it for him, both against Croatia. The first was a travesty based on the utterly dreadful performance of Paul Robinson in goal. McLaren played 3-5-2 which was bold - and mostly effective but for Robinson screwing it all up. The second was again undermined by a goalkeeping howler, although I would blame McLaren for not giving Carson a run out in the friendliest that preceded it.

Ultimatley, McLaren is a bit of a knob. Overly familiar with the players and stupendously smug. But I can't help but feel he was a but unlucky in his brief spell in charge.
    I think you are absolutely right. He's a bit of a knob.

• Options

I think you are absolutely right. He's a bit of a knob.

yep, came over as one when I photographed him back in 2007
  • Options

To be honest I'm not sure how good the Derby squad is. Under Clough, who has done well elsewhere, they were struggling and McClaren came in and managed a fantastic run to the end of last season. This season they were in the top four for most of the campaign and just run out of steam at the end. For all I know another manager might have struggled to keep that squad as high as mid table. I guess next season will give us an indication.

Derby are not, exactly, a massive club and I don't remember seeing them spending millions of pounds on players.

And this from someone that can't stand McClaren and quite likes Derby. Time will tell.

They had a shocking end to the season, and McClaren seemed to have no answers. And it's not as if he wasn't backed in the transfer market either, bringing in Ince, Bent and Lingard. If I was the Derby owner I would be VERY disappointed to not even make the playoffs, when you contrast the budgets Brentford and Ipswich worked under
  • Options
    Wonderful. I despise Newcastle and their delusional self-importance. How I look forward to those lingering shots of McLaren looking glum under a barrage of abuse from their cholesterol-bloated fans as Sunderland thrash them at home yet again.
  • Options

To be honest I'm not sure how good the Derby squad is. Under Clough, who has done well elsewhere, they were struggling and McClaren came in and managed a fantastic run to the end of last season. This season they were in the top four for most of the campaign and just run out of steam at the end. For all I know another manager might have struggled to keep that squad as high as mid table. I guess next season will give us an indication.

Derby are not, exactly, a massive club and I don't remember seeing them spending millions of pounds on players.

And this from someone that can't stand McClaren and quite likes Derby. Time will tell.

They had a shocking end to the season, and McClaren seemed to have no answers. And it's not as if he wasn't backed in the transfer market either, bringing in Ince, Bent and Lingard. If I was the Derby owner I would be VERY disappointed to not even make the playoffs, when you contrast the budgets Brentford and Ipswich worked under
    Exactly. Derby were strong upfront & a bit weak at the back.

So he brought in Ince, Bent & Lingaard. Twat.
  • Options
    My best mates a Forest fan oh how I cheered when they appointed him as their manager, he's useless. How any board can appoint him rather than Curbs is baffling!
  • Options
    I think players and coaches have to respect the manager or head coach. They don't have to like him but having respect is crucial.

I just don't see that McClaren would ever get the required levels of respect. He's a figure of fun to my view. A bit of a knob is the perfect assessment of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fact that Charlton at the beginning of the season and Millwall at the end both scored 3 against Derby showed where their weakness was.
    After grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory against West Ham in the Play off Final 2013/2014; a top coach, really should know where the team needed strengthening.
  • Options
    Sacked by Derby.
  • Options
    Spoken to a guy who has "contacts" at Derby and he says that though he is no fan of McClaren he was well liked in the changing room.
    By the way why do we call it the dressing room? Luvvies.
  • Options
    I think McLaren's a good coach but his managerial record is starting to look a little frayed. I don't think he's the sort of guy that people naturally take to (never once, apparently, did Middlesbrough supporters chant his name, League Cup win and UEFA Cup Final notwithstanding) and that can leave you bereft of any residual goodwill to fall back on when things take a turn for the worse.

In mitigation, Shteeve's interview after taking over at F.C. Twente was a psychiatrist lecturer's dream after his England sacking - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90

I think he would be an excellent appointment for Mike Ashley, in terms of deflecting attention away from his own odious stewardship. He's very good at that and maybe McLaren will follow in the footsteps, honourable or otherwise, of people like Joe Kinnear, little Dennis Wise, Pardew and John Carver (the self-appointed best coach in England).
  • Options
    So not only has McClaren now be appointed but he is also a Board Member. And Mike Ashley has resigned from the Board.

Ashley will no doubt still be pulling the strings at Newcastle whilst taking Rangers on in the courtroom.
  • Options
    the failure merry go round spins on .. though, it must be said that St Pardew after years of toil, ineptitude, struggle and failure has made a good start at the Crystal Chandelier .. I have a soft spot for Newcastle F C and hope that Mac The Brollie can be a success there
  • Options
    Trouble is the geordies' perception of success will, as ever, be unrealistic and It will probably all end in tears before too long, with Newcastle in the bottom half of the PL and winning nowt, more or less business as usual.

Newcastle (and Everton) are examples of clubs that have reached the pinnacle of achievement when up against the big bucks clubs and for them it's all about not falling down the pecking order and trying to pick up a cup along the way somewhere.
  • Options
    Just three wins now in his last 21 matches as Manager at Derby and Newcastle and dumped out of the League Cup last night by the Massives. Wednesday even made 10 changes to their team.

Compare that record to that of Alex Neil at Norwich who has won 21 out of 33 games in charge.
  • Options
    McLaren seems to be one of these people in life who seem to get on but you just can't fathom out why? His post match interviews are always cringeworthy, with morph like facial expressions that make your stomach turn!! Notice how it's "we" knew it was going to be a tough job, not "I"!!! Man up to it Mac and face the facts, you just ain't good enough at this level. But I doff my cap to you sir in recognition of how you keep managing to get high profile jobs and then earn a mint for doing sod all!

PS: Yes, I am a really bitter England fan also!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought he was a slimy git as England boss, calling the players by nicknames and joining in training sessions with a shit-eating grin. But I maintain he was very, very unfortunate in that qualifying. Paul Robinson was the man who really cost us. We looked good playing three at the back but Robinson's Croatia performance made sure we wouldn't be trying that again any time soon. Although I don't think Carson would've made his error if Shteve had put him into the friendly with Germany for a warm up rather than allowing Robinson one last shot, only to see him get lobbed, yet, yet, yet again.
  • Options
    Never liked him and always thought he was crap - already living on borrowed time at Newcastle but pardew was there for ages so can't see Ashley sacking him - won't want to pay him off! I'd also echo previous comments re Newcastle fans - you're a mid to lower table prem team, what else do you expect?
  • Options
    If he gets them relegated it's a perfect marriage for me,can't stand this club or its supporters