Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve McClaren - Newcastle Bound. A Marriage Made In Heaven?

By all accounts Ashley wants him to sign now. Hasn't he blotted his copybook, though, by the abject latter season performances by Derby?

From top to eighth and out of the play offs in a spell of 13 matches that gained them just 12 points. A squad that has the benefited this season from the likes of Ince, Lingard, Ibe, Ward, Russell, Keogh, Bent, Hendrick, Martin, Hughes etc etc

Or is he exactly the right sort of "puppet" the owner thinks he can manipulate?

Comments

• Options
    Why division will Newcastle be in? 8 defeats in a row, 11/2 to go down.
  • Options
    They don't speak with Dutch accents in Newcastle, Stcheeve will have to brush up his Geordie.
  • Options
    I'm astonished that Derby finished 8th - genuinely thought they'd be champions for a very long time this season.
  • Options
    I think it's brilliant that Derby have messed it up again. But from Newcastle's point of view, nothing can be worse than what they've already got.
  • Options
    Not a fan of McCLaren after the crap job he did for England, but he built a very good Derby side. Can't believe how he has cocked it all up tbh!!!
  • Options
    I'm pleased that Derby fell short .. bringing in lots of expensive loanees didn't work and I am pleased about that .. Umbrella man at Newcastle ? .. can't see it, though with Ashley any ridiculous scenario is possible
  • Options
    I think/hope Newcastle will drop
  • Options

Why division will Newcastle be in? 8 defeats in a row, 11/2 to go down.

I think that their neighbours, Sunderland, might just save them from that. Newcastle have WBA & West Ham at home and QPR (Away) whereas Sunderland have Everton, Arsenal & Chelsea (all away) and an in form Leicester (five wins and a sole defeat to Chelsea in last six) at home.
  • Options
    Let Carver stay and take them down first,can't stand the club or its supporters!
  • Options

I think/hope Newcastle will drop

Nice weekend in Newcastle....yes please, though last time we went up there we stayed in Darlington for a change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think McClaren has failed terribly this season. He did well to sort them out last season but he choked in the Play-Off final. It happens. But after that he kept the same squad, added to it in the summer and then in January was given the funds to get Darren Bent, Jesse Lingard and Tom Ince in. 8th is an unacceptable return for the squad he has at his disposal and that's now twice that they've failed at the business end of the season.

Having said all that, a manager who keeps a team looking competitive but never pushes them on to the next level seems to be exactly what Mike Ashley is after
  • Options
    Hope Newcastle go down. I actually like them but selfishly, having never been to St James I would like them in the same division as us.
  • Options
    Last chance at a big club to prove himself. Not sure he will but he knows how to get teams playing decent football. I'm just not sure he's a winner.
  • Options
    That first goal that Derby let in yesterday...
  • Options
    Could be Chesterfield vs Newcastle next season
  • Options
    Sacked by Derby
  • Options
    Derby were going nowhere before McClaren
  • Options

Derby were going nowhere before McClaren

And still are.
  • Options
    I thought they had a good season, just tailed off a bit here and there.
  • Options
    Perhaps he requested that he be allowed to speak with Newcastle and pissed off Derby ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonder if Derby would go for Powell?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Doubt it. They are apparently looking to replace him with Paul Clement. (Real Madrid coach)
  • Options

Valley11 said:

Doubt it. They are apparently looking to replace him with Paul Clement. (Real Madrid coach)
    He can do.better.
  • Options
    Hasnt been sacked yet... He's having talks with Derby today... THEN he'll be sacked :)
  • Options

Hasnt been sacked yet... He's having talks with Derby today... THEN he'll be sacked :)

He's a shit manager. He's good in a coaching set up but not getting Derby up has proved he doesn't have it in him. If gets the boot by Derby I don't expect him to get another shot in English football
  • Options
    cabbles said:

He's a shit manager. He's good in a coaching set up but not getting Derby up has proved he doesn't have it in him. If gets the boot by Derby I don't expect him to get another shot in English football
    He's part of a group of Managers who somehow always seem to end up getting another job... Almost like the interview goes as follows:

Interviewer... So what happened at x club, how did you mess up so badly
    McLaren... Wasnt my fault (With a shrug)
    Interviewer... I'm sold... Lets take wages
  • Options
    Well, if Derby are in the hunt for a new manager, Mark Warburton wouldn't be a bad shout...........
  • Options

Well, if Derby are in the hunt for a new manager, Mark Warburton wouldn't be a bad shout...........

If I were them that's who I'd go for.
  • Options
    To be honest I'm not sure how good the Derby squad is. Under Clough, who has done well elsewhere, they were struggling and McClaren came in and managed a fantastic run to the end of last season. This season they were in the top four for most of the campaign and just run out of steam at the end. For all I know another manager might have struggled to keep that squad as high as mid table. I guess next season will give us an indication.

Derby are not, exactly, a massive club and I don't remember seeing them spending millions of pounds on players.

And this from someone that can't stand McClaren and quite likes Derby. Time will tell.