Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bad Performances Happen - Get Over It

Today we may not have been at our best, fair enough. There is poor by being gutless and not wanting it. And there is being poor by lacking real quality. Today against Bournemouth we were poor because we lacked real quality. And despite what people say I think it's wide of the mark to say the players didn't want it. It was a lack of calmness when we had possession. Bournemouth were so good and played at such a high tempo that they minuplated us into many mistakes. Many that is a weak area in the team at present, I don't know. But they are by and large I think they are honest enough.

But over a course of a season you play lots of games and there will be games you play well and there will be games you don't play so well. When you support any football team anywhere in the world you have to accept that bad performances will happen. Whether we like it or not we have to accept it. It is part and parcel of football I'm afraid. I don't really like it but I accept it will happen. We can only hope it doesn't happen too often. But if you can't accept that bad performances happen then all I can say is... DON'T follow a football team - simples! Bad Performances Happen - Get Over It!

Comments

• Yesterday was a bad performance, but it needn't have been, As the season wore on the team had improved. We were capable of giving Bournemouth a game (and possibly still have lost) but we didn't. We rolled over and handed it to them. That's what hurt.
    Fortunately, this morning I am completely 'over it' because the defeat had no meaningful affect on our season.
  • Daggs said:

Yesterday was a bad performance, but it needn't have been, As the season wore on the team had improved. We were capable of giving Bournemouth a game (and possibly still have lost) but we didn't. We rolled over and handed it to them. That's what hurt.
    Fortunately, this morning I am completely 'over it' because the defeat had no meaningful affect on our season.

I really hope they would have played with a bit more passion if we had needed a result.
  • Yes, but what about the chips?
  • Daggs said:

Yesterday was a bad performance, but it needn't have been, As the season wore on the team had improved. We were capable of giving Bournemouth a game (and possibly still have lost) but we didn't. We rolled over and handed it to them. That's what hurt.

I really hope they would have played with a bit more passion if we had needed a result.
    I would have liked them to play with a bit of passion for US the people who pay their wages whether we needed a result or not.
  • I can only assume that the 62 points plus bonus wasn't worth having.
  • cafcfan said:

I can only assume that the 62 points plus bonus wasn't worth having.

I'd forgotten about that! Makes their lack of passion even more strange
  • There was a lack of desire from the off. Players weren't being closed down and some players like Buyens looked as if they couldn't be bothered. We gifted Bournemouth two goals from woeful defending. Yes Bournemouth were much better than us but our attitude made it much easier for them. We came out for the second half and played with more tempo but we didn't threaten their goal much. Bournemouth then killed us off. They looked if they had another gear. The way they play was a delight, they also have players like Arter and Francis who were considered not good enough for us.
  • I completely disagree that we "have to accept that bad performances will happen".

After any game the players performance will be dissected, that isn't "moaning" or not being able to "get over it" - that's what a supporter of a football club does because he wants to understand how the performance can be better next time around.

If we can't be disappointed when we lose then we shouldn't celebrate when we win.
  • Sponsored links:

• What I think some fans need to do is see it from the players point of view not just their own selfish blinkered point of view. Yes the players earn good money. But that is nothing new. Some fans need to try being pro footballers and see what it's like being a professional footballer and see how they like being told they are not trying. Many fans probably would not be able to run 50 metres without getting tired. If they could spend a week in the company of the players they would realise the players care and not mercenaries.

I will try being a professional footballer for the summer if one of our players wants to try commuting to London on a shit train service everyday to work in a grey office in town. Whilst we are at it we can swap salaries too!
  • Uboat said:

Yes, but what about the chips?

Oh they are still on the shoulders, ready for next season.
  • Look don't get me wrong I don't like bad performances either but we have to hope there are not too many. There have been bad performances in the past and it pains me to say that sadly there will be more in the furture.
  • We can accept mistakes and bad games. But being at fault for a goal by losing concentration and giving the ball away under no pressure then making a pathetic half hearted attempt at challenge and then just simply shrugging your shoulders is not having a bad game, it's having a bad attitude.
  • edited May 2015
    If you cannot accept how highly players at this level are go and support a sunday team on Hackney Marshes.
  • Your opening post made a reasonable argument. Even though i didn't agree with it.
    This post makes no sense and loses your argument.
  • If you cannot accept how highly players at this level are go and fucking support a sunday team on Hackney Marshes.

What? North of the river? What's wrong with Plumstead Common?

• edited May 2015
    seth plum said:

If you cannot accept how highly players at this level are go and fucking support a sunday team on Hackney Marshes.

No football pitches on Plumstead Common Seth, they're at Winn's Common just down the road :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2015

If you cannot accept how highly players at this level are go and ******** support a sunday team on Hackney Marshes.

Calm down mate no need for the offensive language, kids read this site, get a grip.
  • RedChaser said:

seth plum said:

If you cannot accept how highly players at this level are go and fucking support a sunday team on Hackney Marshes.

No football pitches on Plumstead Common Seth, they're at Winn's Common just down the road :wink:
    I used to play on Blackheath occasionally - long time ago now.
  • What I think some fans need to do is see it from the players point of view not just their own selfish blinkered point of view. Yes the players earn good money. But that is nothing new. Some fans need to try being pro footballers and see what it's like being a professional footballer and see how they like being told they are not trying. Many fans probably would not be able to run 50 metres without getting tired. If they could spend a week in the company of the players they would realise the players care and not mercenaries.

It's always going to be difficult for passionate football fans who pay good, hard-earned money to watch their heroes, to accept that for some pro footballers it is just a job and like Joe Public they have good days when they're up for it and others when they're not.

For me, I would expect pro players to be professional and pull the stops out for every game. I never have understood why some players don't put in the effort when they have replacements waiting in the wings for them to mess up - but most footballers are not that bright and are arrogant, so it's no real surprise when you think about it.

Good luck to the lads if they can drive a Porsche, wear a Rolex and Gucci shoes but the fans expect them to justify those luxuries on the pitch every game.
  • purdis said:

What I think some fans need to do is see it from the players point of view not just their own selfish blinkered point of view. Yes the players earn good money. But that is nothing new. Some fans need to try being pro footballers and see what it's like being a professional footballer and see how they like being told they are not trying. Many fans probably would not be able to run 50 metres without getting tired. If they could spend a week in the company of the players they would realise the players care and not mercenaries.

It's always going to be difficult for passionate football fans who pay good, hard-earned money to watch their heroes, to accept that for some pro footballers it is just a job and like Joe Public they have good days when they're up for it and others when they're not.

For me, I would expect pro players to be professional and pull the stops out for every game. I never have understood why some players don't put in the effort when they have replacements waiting in the wings for them to mess up - but most footballers are not that bright and are arrogant, so it's no real surprise when you think about it.

Good luck to the lads if they can drive a Porsche, wear a Rolex and Gucci shoes but the fans expect them to justify those luxuries on the pitch every game.
    Ooooooo Jelous!
  • purdis said:

What I think some fans need to do is see it from the players point of view not just their own selfish blinkered point of view. Yes the players earn good money. But that is nothing new. Some fans need to try being pro footballers and see what it's like being a professional footballer and see how they like being told they are not trying. Many fans probably would not be able to run 50 metres without getting tired. If they could spend a week in the company of the players they would realise the players care and not mercenaries.

Ooooooo Jelous!
    Yeh, well jel, init bruv

• Off_it said:

purdis said:

Ooooooo Jelous!
    Yeh, well jel, init bruv

Good to see you posting again Offy :wink:
  • edited May 2015

purdis said:

Ooooooo Jelous!
    Not in the slightest, Addick FC & Offy - just want value for money!
    Hope they all get to drive Bugatti Veyrons - that will mean we're Champions League - init.
  • Are you saying that anyone who was unhappy about our performance should stop supporting Charlton?
  • Are you saying that anyone who was unhappy about our performance should stop supporting Charlton?

No not at all. I'm saying we are not going to play well every game. Some games you play bad but that does not mean don't support a team. I mean if you can't accept that performances will happen don't come. That does not mean be happy with a bad performance. It means have a look at why it wrong and what can be done different.
  • One of the reasons why Jordan Cousins got the POTY trophy. Great attitude and consistent effort over the season. Not giving their all every game is not something that you can ever aim at JC. It didn't help the level of performance that he was not playing. The Charlton midfield missed his energy.