Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• 'Charlton Athletic may be one team on the potential relegation candidates list for many next season'

Jesus, it's only bloody June and we finished 12th last season.
    I was thinking the same thing. Anything can happen in football so I have no idea how someone can make these predictions
  • Rossman92 said:

'Charlton Athletic may be one team on the potential relegation candidates list for many next season'

I was thinking the same thing. Anything can happen in football so I have no idea how someone can make these predictions
    They've probably been looking at the bookmakers odds where, for some unfathomable reason, we are second favourites for relegation.
  • Just looked at the bookies odds...Have I missed something with Sheffield Wednesday? Why are they up there for promotion and certainties to avoid relegation?

I never bet for Charlton but considering the odds, it's worth a punt on us for promotion (You never know, i'm optimistic)

In other news,
    A mate just text me suggesting that he saw the Lukaku brothers last night having dinner with Katrien in a Jamie Oliver Restaurant - He bullshits, and it isn't a solid rumour, but wasn't Romelu's brother touted earlier as a transfer? Unless of course we've managed to persuade Romelu that we'll be in the Champions League before Everton?

Anyway argue among yourselves.
  • Rossman92 said:

'Charlton Athletic may be one team on the potential relegation candidates list for many next season'

They've probably been looking at the bookmakers odds where, for some unfathomable reason, we are second favourites for relegation.
    Yeah the bookies have Bristol City and The Wendies 11 and 12..... There is no logical reason we should be predicted 2nd from bottom
  • News about Patrick Bauer has been posted by Sky Sports on their Transfer Centre as well...

18:54 ADDICKS CLOSE ON BAUER

Charlton Athletic are on the verge of signing German centre-back Patrick Bauer from CS Maritimo, according to Portuguese news outlet Record.

Bauer, a former Germany under-20 international, is a former VfB Stuttgart youngster and is highly rated in Portuguese football.

His displays for Maritimo have attracted plenty of interest, with Aston Villa reportedly also eyeing up the player earlier in the summer

Bauer .. German for farmer .. another Jimmy Giles? . It would be great to have a man of the soil digging in for our defence ... German players are usually at worst, solid and reliable, fit and tough .. get him in
  • Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

Yeah the bookies have Bristol City and The Wendies 11 and 12..... There is no logical reason we should be predicted 2nd from bottom
    Yes there is.

Odds based on money wagered.

Stick a grand on Charlton and the odds will move.
  • Looks good if it happens. £3m sounds too little for Gomez although I don't think a disdaster if included loan back this year, first option on next year, England cap (£1.5m - all to easy to achieve now days), 500k -20 Liverpool games, and 25% sell on. That is where I personally would set the bar for a lower up front fee.
  • Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

Yes there is.

Markets like this are versatile but there is still research and analysis that goes into the original odds. If a horse comes with a reputation and good breeding then it's odds will be short before a penny is wagered.

Bauer sounds like a decent acquisition.
  • last year we were odds on to go down and the year before blah blah blah. One northern whippet muncher "expert pundit) said we would only get 18 points--twonk. a good few WON money on us being in the top half (near thing that) .

Massive negative on blogs etc at the moment yet FECK all has happened in our league yet let alone CAFC.

Last year we got in

Igor
    Watt
    JB
    Buyens
    Bulet
    Bikey
    TBH

none of which any of us predicted(or even herd of) and the vast majority of which either did an exultant job or pretty well.

early days

Of those in your list four have gone and another looks likely to leave. I do agree it's early though and not worried in the slightest yet.

• Sponsored links:

• Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

Yes there is.

Markets like this are versatile but there is still research and analysis that goes into the original odds. If a horse comes with a reputation and good breeding then it's odds will be short before a penny is wagered.

Bauer sounds like a decent acquisition.
    @ValleyGary did you perhaps mean volatile?
  • We do need some CBs so welcome his signing if he has signed. Still need some experience there though.
  • Wonder Bauer is any relation to the world's favourite 24 agent ?

Sounds more of an encouraging rumour. A Bauer and Gomez centre back pairing sounds potentially impressive.
  • Like the sound of Bauer. Hopefully we aren't hearing too much about signings because we are going 'Old school Charlton' and only announcing them when they happen, which is always the best way to do business, if you can.

Btw - you can still get odds of 11/4 on Charlton for a top half finish on Skybet - I decided that was too good to miss and have chucked some cash on it....hopefully we are aiming for the play offs at least, but even if we miss out, we should hopefully at least finish in the top half.....

• Btw - you can still get odds of 11/4 on Charlton for a top half finish on Skybet - I decided that was too good to miss and have chucked some cash on it....hopefully we are aiming for the play offs at least, but even if we miss out, we should hopefully at least finish in the top half.....

Just took that
  • Dizzle said:

I love how Bauer wears number 24!

Copy that. CTU will set up a five block perimeter around The Valley and send in a tac team. The lives of thousands of American citizens could depend on this!
  • Sponsored links:

• Dizzle said:

I love how Bauer wears number 24!

If Bauer joins, then he has got to have the number 24 shirt in the squad. Jordan Cousins currently has the shirt, and should be getting a lower number shirt.

No. Position Player
    1 Republic of Ireland GK Stephen Henderson (3rd captain)
    3 England DF Joe Gomez
    4 England MF Johnnie Jackson (captain)
    6 Cameroon DF André Bikey
    7 Iceland MF Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson
    10 Belgium MF Franck Moussa
    11 England MF Callum Harriott
    12 France MF Alou Diarra
    14 Angola FW Igor Vetokele
    16 Wales DF Rhoys Wiggins
    20 England DF Chris Solly (vice-captain)
    21 Wales DF Morgan Fox
    23 England FW Joe Pigott
    24 England MF Jordan Cousins
    30 England GK Nick Pope
    31 England DF Harry Lennon
    32 Scotland FW Tony Watt
    36 Serbia GK Marko Dmitrović
    40 Belgium MF Christophe Lepoint
    43 England FW Karlan Ahearne-Grant

-- France DF Loïc Nego
    -- Iran FW Reza Ghoochannejhad
    -- Poland FW Piotr Parzyszek
  • edited June 2015
    Give Cousins 8 and Bauer 24.

In other news 6 foot 5 31 year old Austrian striker Mark Janko scored against Russia with an overhead kick today, currently without a club. He could be good foil for Watt and Vetokele, and shouldn't be too expensive as his last club was Sydney FC
  • @MrBoywunder: Paul Joyce - #LFC have entered the race to sign Charlton defender Joe Gomez (18) & will look to see off competition Arsenal & City.

@MrBoywunder: Paul Joyce - He can play CB/RB, he is seen as one for the future. LFC want to conclude a deal. Charlton want a package that may reach £8m.

@MrBoywunder: Paul Joyce - It's possible Gomez could be sent on loan to ensure the development. Although, LFC could opt to play him in the Europa League.
  • Joe Gomez' dad has been brought in to the equation.
    Someone on Twitter reckons they spoke to his dad on Friday and he confirmed he'd gone to Liverpool.
  • Joe Gomez' dad has been brought in to the equation.
    Someone on Twitter reckons they spoke to his dad on Friday and he confirmed he'd gone to Liverpool.

Given the Delort saga with his dad, expect him to sign for Arsenal, 2 months later than first thought
  • Let's hope it starts a bidding war between City,Arsenal and Liverpool
  • I had heard that JG's dad was errrm active in 'advising' him, and shall we say is ambitious, in ironic contrast to Gus Poyet who advised Diego to stay. Gus was interested in Diego's best position in terms of his football development, maybe Mr Gomez is similarly well placed to offer advice like the aforementioned Uraguyan international and Premiership star. I am not surprised to hear now about paternal influence.
    I imagine, if true, that the pitiful 8 million is the maximum the deal could be worth with all the bells and whistles if it all goes to plan some years down the line. Not exactly sweating the asset in my view.
    However playing on a season at Charlton would actually be appropriate to Joe's footballing development, it would be a drag watching him and all the time knowing he is leaving, and for peanuts too.
  • seth plum said:

I had heard that JG's dad was errrm active in 'advising' him, and shall we say is ambitious, in ironic contrast to Gus Poyet who advised Diego to stay. Gus was interested in Diego's best position in terms of his football development, maybe Mr Gomez is similarly well placed to offer advice like the aforementioned Uraguyan international and Premiership star. I am not surprised to hear now about paternal influence.
    I imagine, if true, that the pitiful 8 million is the maximum the deal could be worth with all the bells and whistles if it all goes to plan some years down the line. Not exactly sweating the asset in my view.
    However playing on a season at Charlton would actually be appropriate to Joe's footballing development, it would be a drag watching him and all the time knowing he is leaving, and for peanuts too.

Agree with your appraisal though he is still in the unproven category for the premiership. He is young and his full potential is unknown, how many Charlton young 'stars' have made it on the big stage to be 8 million pound players? Certainly not Shelvey, or Jenkinson. Parker's sale for 10M probably stopped us getting into Europe but was he ever worth that as a player in his supposed prime?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!