Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath vs Leeds Utd | Sat 18th April 2015 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton vs Leeds United
3pm Kick-Off
Referee – TONY HARRINGTON

INTRODUCTION

Going to ‘end of season’ games seem to lack as much motivation as climbing into bed with Jo Brand, BUT, fear not, Leeds United fixtures against us, always seem to be a feisty affair.

Recent results between the two sides include a 2-2 thriller at Elland Road earlier in the season and at The Valley, Akpo Sodje’s late winner in 2010, surely goes down as one of the finest moments in the past decade for Charlton fans.

Nevertheless, Guy Luzon’s side have not been in the best of form recently, with only one win in five matches, which has been unlike the Addicks under the Isreali.

The hosts will hope that the average form will end on Saturday although, having said that, Charlton have been unbeaten in their last three matches.

Moreover, here’s a little fact for you. Charlton have failed to score only once in their last 16 games, netting in each of the last 10. Not bad for a side with only three first-team strikers at the moment!

THE OPPOSITION

With the side in 15th place, Leeds’ season should realistically be over, but they will want a few more points just to guarantee safety.

Credit must go to former-Addick Neil Redfearn, who has, despite the circumstances off the pitch, still managed to assemble a decent Leeds squad and will most likely, lead them to safety.

With the scenario in the boardroom unknown and after his assistant manager Steve Thompson was strangely suspended by the club, Redfearn may leave Leeds at the end of the season.

Recent results have shown that off the pitch matters have certainly had an effect on the players as the Yorkshire club have lost their last four matches and have not won in six games.

However, one positive for Leeds is the quality of young players they have within the club. The likes of Lewis Cook and Sam Byram are certainly two who could play in the higher division.

ONE TO WATCH

My player to watch this week is: Alex Mowatt.

One player who I left out of those promising youngsters list, is Alex Mowatt.

The 20 year-old midfielder has been one of Leeds’ best players this season and will definitely be one to watch this weekend.

The England under-19 international scored twice against Charlton in the reverse fixture this season, in a 2-2 draw in November.

With nine goals this season, the youngster will be looking to reach double figures on Saturday and with the quality that he has, I would not put it past him.

LINE-UP

With a few players rested on Tuesday night for the 1-1 draw against Bolton, I can see Luzon making some more changes this weekend.

Joe Gomez may be put back into the side alongside Roger Johnson in defence, while Morgan Fox could retain his left-back spot ahead of Rhoys Wiggins.

The midfield is likely to remain the same although Chris Eagles will be pressing for a start, while up-front, Watt and Vetokele should continue unless one of them requires another rest.

………………………..Henderson………………….

Solly………....Gomez……………Johnson…….Fox

JBG…………...Buyens………......Cousins……Bulot

.....................Watt..................Vetokele........

PREDICTION

A win to end a succession of 1-1 draws.

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Leeds United

Comments

• The Spanners game killed it for me, I could still be floating on a cloud now!!!!!! oh well, back to the ground with a bump and a clutch of meh! binary bore draws...

I think we may stuff this one up. 1-3 to Dirty Leeds
  • 2 - 1 to the Addicks. 61 points is still achievable
  • 1-1
    Vetokele
  • Stubley

You say 'The hosts will hope that the poor form will end on Saturday and with any luck, it can be the start of an unbeaten run until the end of the season'.

We are currently on a 3 game unbeaten run which started with Fulham.
  • could be a few goals in this one ... 3-2 to the addicks
  • Wouldn't want to lose this one, probably another draw but I think a win is due, 2-1 Addicks.
  • Reckon this'll be an entertaining end of season game, rather than the boring "going through the motions" that you get sometimes. Might have a tenner on over 4.5 goals at 7/1.
  • 2-1. Obika, last minute
  • Due a win. Need to beat one of the scum's this year. 2-0 to Guy Luzon's red army
  • Sponsored links:

• Only going for social reasons.
    Hoping to see some goals
    Expecting a 1-1
  • Would be nice to finish the season well and get 9th spot.

Think it might be another draw.

I havent seen us beat Leeds at home since the play off win in 1987 so dont hold out much hope of 3 points
  • Another nothing game, cant see past the 1-1
  • A nothing game with 2 teams drifting towards the finish, but we're currently playing better than Leeds, so a home win
  • COYA!

• iaitch said:

Stubley

You say 'The hosts will hope that the poor form will end on Saturday and with any luck, it can be the start of an unbeaten run until the end of the season'.

Doh! Amended. Thanks
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • edited April 2015
    How do I hate Leeds?

Let me count the ways.

Actually, I have no idea why I dislike, nay, loathe them but I do. Therefore, a win is required.
  • iaitch said:

Stubley

Doh! Amended. Thanks
    24 points from last 13 games, 24 goals for and 14 against-close to automatic promotion form
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-2 for a change
  • 3-2. We go one down then stuff three past them in the second half . They get a late goal that flatters them.

Goals from Vetokele, Gudmundsson and Church.
  • colin1961 said:

Sorry to say it but can't see past another draw ....

Thanks Colin
  • We should win this, they are on a terrible run of form and apparently don't seem interested. Redfearn is a dead man walking
    Back to 3-0
  • Asked my Leeds mate if he was going, but he missed out on a ticket. He reckoned we'd win comfortably as they are on a bad run. I thought a draw was likely as that is what our run is like. Maybe we'll sneak it 2-1 Charlton
  • I think we will Nick this one 2-1.
  • edited April 2015
    3-1 to GL's Red and too much White Army
  • 3-1 Charlton. 1-1 at half time.
  • I have a DL fan in my office. Apparently their assistant manager was sacked for no reason not long ago and it has upset the dressing room. That's why they're on a bad run, plus Cellino is fed up and wanting to sell. Their best players are also on their way out in summer, supposedly. All this points to a 1-0 away win.
  • edited April 2015
    RedPanda said:

I have a DL fan in my office. Apparently their assistant manager was sacked for no reason not long ago and it has upset the dressing room. That's why they're on a bad run, plus Cellino is fed up and wanting to sell. Their best players are also on their way out in summer, supposedly. All this points to a 1-0 away win.

Yes Redfearn was upset and considered his position, one way or another I suspect he will go in the summer.

I have decided to swap stands for Saturday and will be abandoning my Upper West blanket and Bovril for the luxuries of the East Stand F Block