Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield Wednesday 1 Addicks 1 - Post Match Views 11/4/15

Comments

• Where's the pig
    Normally giving it billy big spuds by now
  • As said earlier, a point can never be considered a bad result at a Massive club like Wednesday.
    Shows how far we've come since the dark days of January.
  • Can someone explain to me, why, Henderson kept kicking long down one side first half, the other side the second, when their defenders won nearly every header. I am sure he was doing as was told but YBG in the second half, kept taking up a position, on is own, on the opposite wing, he kept calling for it, but Henderson waved him to join all the others on the other wing. Very frustrating to see nearly every kick come straight back from their defence. First live game I have seen for a while and was disappointed in how often we kicked long, although I must admit the pitch was very bumpy. Very impressed with Gomez and the friend I took with me, could not believe his age. Look forward to see which players we keep and the squad for next season, nothing much to get excited about now for the rest of this season.
  • I wondered that too @ross1. Seemed everyone was being told to bunch up but we won nothing from long balls all afternoon. That said enjoyed the game. Was first time had seen Gomez or Fox and was well impressed with both. We escaped as they hit the post and bar with Hendo beaten all ends up both times.
    Thought Bulot for Eagles would have been a better substitution to get a winner.
    Was bemused by Luzon who seemed as far away from the action as the bloke who fell asleep in front of me at half time. Where was the the animation and crouching?
    Great atmosphere in our end though. We were the Charlton boys making all the noise!
  • edited April 2015
    Enjoyed the Day.
    The Howard and the Graduate are decent pubs near the station.
    Met some of our Northern fans plus regulars.
    Passing game not great today on a bumpy pitch.
    Just seen on FL show that Eagles was on side for his disallowed goal.
    Fox had a great chance to score his 1st goal and 2nd goal For CAFC.
    but Wednesday hit the post twice and a missed header with the goal gaping 2nd half. The draw was a fair result.
    Johann yet again have proved he's the class finisher in the team and could end up the leading scorer unless Igor can sharpen up.

A bizarre incident in the 91 minutes when their defender was knocked out for a few seconds just as Igor had won a tackle and was about to run at goal.
    Tony watt had stopped and was shouting for the medics to come on.
    Ref blew and later there was a dropped ball on the edge of their area.

It would be good if we could copy the snooker at the crucible down the road from the ground, where every one go's back to the same position as when the play was stopped ! it would take about 10 minutes but would be a laugh.
  • Yes church threw his shirt off and went down the tunnel he was pants anyway.

A fair result on a crap pitch and a dreary game.

Met a few of there neanderthals on the way back to the station. Some of their fans are some of the most obnoxious still around.
  • MASSIVE POINT
  • Just on the train home with not much to say other than it was obvious that it was an end of season, meaningless game. Not that I'm bothered, nice to be at a game with no pressure, seen some mates that I don't get to see enough and the weather was half decent.
    JBG took his goal well, hope we can keep him.

This. It really did have the atmosphere of a season ending game between two mid-table teams. The massive were sooooo quiet, even when they scored they barely registered more than a few bangs on the drum. A few chants of 'is this a library?' didn't even raise a response.

I spoke with a few season ticket holders in the New Barrack Tavern before the game and they weren't very optimistic about getting a result. They are well and truly into next season hoping for big spending from their new owner in the summer an a play-off push.

As for the game we were the team wanting it more first half and their lead at half time was unjust. Such was our commitment through the first half, our boys were clapped off by our healthy following. The second was more even and we deserved a goal and the point, but nothing more. Many home fans were leaving with 10 to go and considering there were a reported 23,000 in the ground it didn't sound like it. (Incidentally, i felt sorry for someone at the back of our stand, who was asked by a woman and small child that were accompanying them, can we go now, with a full 25 minutes to go. They would have missed the equalizer :(

Cup very much three-quarters full.
  • Sponsored links:

• Typical nearly end of season game for me, could have gone either way on crap pitch.
  • 43 comments?! The fans on the beaches as well as the players!

The season seems to have died a bit of a death!

Think the build up and disappointment of the Millwall game might have knocked the stuffing out of many. I know it has for me.
  • cafctom said:

43 comments?! The fans on the beaches as well as the players!

Think the build up and disappointment of the Millwall game might have knocked the stuffing out of many. I know it has for me.
    Yep, think that was pretty much season over.

Saying that, after missing the last three games due to holiday, which is going to be four after Tuesday, I'm quite looking forward to soaking a couple games in before seasons end ...
  • There's one teams results that really matters to me for the remainder of the season and it's not Charltons
    We've done our hard work and I'm enjoying the chilled out factor of not worrying
  • edited April 2015

43 comments?! The fans on the beaches as well as the players!

I know it was only £10 but 828 is still good with nothing on the match.
    Train,car, or coach had to be paid for, to get there.

If i was head coach i would play Harry Lennon as left sided CB along side Joe Gomez at Bolton. We need to know if Harry is up to it. Makes no sense to me that Church is still in the squad, as KAG could now play with no pressure other than wanting to prove that he should be one of our strikers for next season.
    ( give him 30 minutes) as sub would be best.

Considering so many of our players had played little football last year:
    Watt,Diarra, Johnson and Eagles to name just 4, i wonder if they all stay and we get our squad ready to do a pre season in July ( with additions ?) we might be able to move forward.

The last 2 games at home should be crackers with the away end sold out.

Dirty Leeds then Clean Eddy's Cherries (not a euphemism)

If that doesn't do it for you Charlton folk ,please stay away and you can be replaced with the Ghent guys who know how to make some noise.
    (it always comes back to Belgium)

• Cracking weekend.

Puncture on the way up and chasing around to find a new tyre once in Sheffield.

Soundas saving the day by driving us to and from the ground in his bright orange Bentley - and managing to find a parking spot about 50 yards from the Leppings Lane gates.

Thought we were excellent in the first half and so unlucky to go in at half time a goal behind. Several chances not taken - particularly from Church and Eagles. Would love to see the first half stats, as most of the action was happening at the other end of the ground to us.

Second half was more even - possibly with Wednesday shading it. They would have found it difficult not to have improved on their first half performance though. However, we always looked dangerous going forward - particularly after Church was taken off on the hour.

He had been really poor throughout his time on the pitch and really added nothing to our attacking threat. Surprisingly he also looked disinterested, which is not like him. We weren't surprised with his substitution but his reaction to being taken spoke volumes. He virtually ripped his shirt off whilst walking off and headed straight to the dressing room - closely followed by Luzon who didn't reappear for a further 3/4 minutes. He didn't reappear and I will be very surprised if he's in the squad for the remainder of the season.

Watt had caused more problems for the Wednesday defenders in the time Luzon was speaking to Church than his whole hour on the pitch.
  • Addickted said:

Cracking weekend.

Soundas saving the day by driving us to and from the ground in his bright orange Bentley - and managing to find a parking spot about 50 yards from the Leppings Lane gates.

Thought we were excellent in the first half and so unlucky to go in at half time a goal behind. Several chances not taken - particularly from Church and Eagles. Would love to see the first half stats, as most of the action was happening at the other end of the ground to us.

Second half was more even - possibly with Wednesday shading it. They would have found it difficult not to have improved on their first half performance though. However, we always looked dangerous going forward - particularly after Church was taken off on the hour.

He had been really poor throughout his time on the pitch and really added nothing to our attacking threat. Surprisingly he also looked disinterested, which is not like him. We weren't surprised with his substitution but his reaction to being taken spoke volumes. He virtually ripped his shirt off whilst walking off and headed straight to the dressing room - closely followed by Luzon who didn't reappear for a further 3/4 minutes. He didn't reappear and I will be very surprised if he's in the squad for the remainder of the season.

Watt had caused more problems for the Wednesday defenders in the time Luzon was speaking to Church than his whole hour on the pitch.

Was that the Bentley with the personalised plates ( what am I saying, TWO orange Bentley in Sheffield? At the same time?)? Saw it in traffic after the game, Vince was trying to get a photo.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    I drove up to Sheffield and back on Saturday and even that wasn't as boring as this match. Fortunately I can only make it to one more game this season.

Both sides were poor. Neither side could keep the ball and players are clearly on their holidays already.

Cousins did not look like our player of the year and really struggled to get involved in the game.

Henderson was quality as usual, Fox got forward well and created a very good chance for himself. Gudmundsson was the only player trying to drive us forward when he got the ball but had zero support. Deserved his goal.

Igor needs to work harder. Too often he gives up the ball or gets out muscled. Watt needs to learn to pass sometimes.

Johnson has been awful for a few weeks now and was no better on Saturday. He should have closed the cross down that they scored from but just stood and watched. We should release him as we can do a lot better. It makes the decision to give Morrison away to Birmingham look stranger and stranger.

Why is Luzon rotating centre backs? Can Ben Haim not play back -to-back games?

I don't understand anyone moaning about the Eagles 'goal 'as he poked it in long after the flag had gone up.

We were lucky not to lose that.

Quick thought. Wednesday fans were very quiet all game. Subdued atmosphere and only sold 23,000 tickets out of a possible 38,000 at £10 each. Pretty poor.

I know it was only £10 but 828 is still good with nothing on the match.
    Train,car, or coach had to be paid for to get there.

If i was head coach i would play Harry Lennon as left sided CB along side Joe Gomez at Bolton. We need to know if Harry is up to it. Makes no sense to me that Church is still in the squad, as KAG could now play with no pressure other than wanting to prove that he should be one of our strikers for next season.
    ( give him 30 minutes) as sub would be best.

Considering so many of our players had played little football last year:
    Watt,Diarra, Johnson and Eagles to name just 4, i wonder if they all stay and we get our squad ready to do a pre season in July ( with additions ?) we might be able to move forward.

The last 2 games at home should be crackers with the away end sold out.

Dirty Leeds then Clean Eddy's Cherries (not a euphemism)

If that doesn't do it for you Charlton folk ,please stay away and you can be replaced with the Ghent guys who know how to make some noise.
    (it always comes back to Belgium)

Looking forward to the Bournemouth game should be the biggest crowd of the season (not including the Huddersfield game) especially IF Bournemouth are given more tickets.
  • Cant complain as it helped the accumulator. JBG to get a fat contract extension I hope, he's won a lot of points with his goals.

Agree that it would be worth trying a few of our fringe players/youngsters now (not all at the same time of course). At the very least it would mean there may be some L1 interest next season for loans.
  • In the the Sun's team of the weekend,
    They have Gunnarsson of Charlton in the Team?
    Now the coincidence is that Our Gudmundsson scored in the 75th minute
    and got 8 out of 10.
    Gunnarsson of Cardiff scored in the 62nd Minute and scored 8 out of 10.
    Both have played together since 2008 for the Iceland U19, U21, and full national side.

If i wasn't such an anorak this wouldn't be an issue.
  • Addickted said:

Cracking weekend.

Was that the Bentley with the personalised plates ( what am I saying, TWO orange Bentley in Sheffield? At the same time?)? Saw it in traffic after the game, Vince was trying to get a photo.
    1905 CA and bright orange? How could there be two? We were wondering why you wouldn't have a red one with that number plate. Or better still, red n white!

Churchy did look fed up but more than likely it was frustration rather than a sense of injustice as he must have known that performance was not up to the mark for this level even in an end of season game. The ball just did not stick to his feet enough. I think he will be off and predict he will return with a championship side and score a rare goal at the Valley much to his pleasure.

As others have said I don't recall a flatter atmosphere in any of the many games I have been to at Hillsborough and you always thought we might equalise.
  • Why is TBH still out?
  • Addickted said:

Cracking weekend.

1905 CA and bright orange? How could there be two? We were wondering why you wouldn't have a red one with that number plate. Or better still, red n white!
    The previous one was red - with a cream interior but it wasn't loud enough for Soundas :smiley:

• Highlight of the day was seeing Anjem Choudary (That radical Muslim who thinks we should live under Sharia law) at one of the service stations on the M1. He was drinking a McDonalds milkshake.

If any company represented capitalism it's bloody McDonalds!

Fixed that for you. McDonalds arent so bloody free when it comes to saying what you think about them in print!
  • Where's the pig
    Normally giving it billy big spuds by now

He's probably hoping no-one will draw attention to his thread about the pigs being promoted this season.
  • They're too massive for the Premier League.