Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheff Wed vs Charlton Ath | Sat 11th April 2015 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton
3pm Kick-Off
Referee – DARREN BOND

INTRODUCTION

It has not been a brilliant Easter for Addicks fans.

The defeat to Millwall and draw against Fulham has certainly left a ‘flat’ feeling towards the remaining few games of the campaign.

However, with Charlton’s future in the division mathematically secured, the aims for Guy Luzon’s men should now be trying to get as many as points as possible to create a positive feeling ahead of next season, starting with three points against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

The Owls meanwhile, are in a similar position to Charlton where they do not have too much to play for.

In recent times, the Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Hillsborough fixture has become a bit feisty and always seems to be a decent game. The 2-1 FA Cup victory and the 3-2 comeback, are two examples of exciting results at the ground.

THE OPPOSITION

Sheffield Wednesday sit once place below Charlton in 12th place, with 54 points. Under manager Stuart Gray, the Owls have enjoyed a relatively successful, even if predictable, season and will be looking to do one better next year and get into the play-off places.

Gray’s side come into Saturday’s game not in the best of form, as they have only won twice in seven games.

In their last fixture, Wednesday lost 2-0 away at Norwich thanks to two goals from Bradley Johnson. Despite the defeat, Gray was quick to admit after the game, that his side are proud of their 16 clean sheets that they have picked up during the season.

While the Massive's defence has been solid throughout the season, the quality they have in attack and midfield does not do the tally of only 37 goals this season, any justice at all.
The likes of Atdhe Nuhiu, Lewis McGugan and Lloyd Isgrove, who is on loan from Southampton, will be hoping to make that tally higher, starting by beating the Addicks on Saturday.

ONE TO WATCH

My player to watch this week is: Lewis McGugan.

As mentioned just now, McGugan is certainly a player, who on his day, can cause any team, many problems.

The attacking midfielder is currently on loan from Watford, where he was unlucky not to be included in their first-team more often.

The ex- Nottingham Forest player, has scored three goals so far in his loan spell with Wednesday and will be keen to extend that tally in the remaining few games of the season.

Like a certain Johann Berg Gudmundsson, McGugan is known for scoring the odd sensational strike, especially from a dead-ball situation, so Charlton will need to watch out for that, if the 26-year-old does start on Saturday.

LINE-UP

Yoni Buyens is available again after serving his two-match suspension for picking up 10 yellow cards. He is likely to replace Alou Diarra in the centre of midfield.

Chris Solly also returns following his sending off against Millwall, which subsequently suspended him from playing against Fulham. Solly will probably come in for Joe Gomez, who may be deployed at centre-back if Tal Ben Haim isn’t fit enough.

Rhoys Wiggins may be in contention to start as he continues his recovery from injury, but the in-form Morgan Fox will probably keep his spot at left-back.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Frederic Bulot are likely to occupy the wings while Chris Eagles will be in contention for one of those spots also or may play behind the striker instead of Igor Vetokele.

In the centre, if Buyens returns he should be lined up alongside Jordan Cousins while Tony Watt is expected to start up-top.

………………………..Henderson………………….

Solly………....Ben Haim…………Johnson…….Fox

JBG…………...Cousins……….....Buyens……Bulot

.................................Eagles...........................

..................................Watt............................

PREDICTION

Another fine Charlton performance at Hillsborough.

Sheff Wed 1-2 Charlton

Comments

• edited April 2015
    We had one game left , that mattered, to win a week or so back but we failed miserably
    A bit of pride left to play for
    Wednesday owe us ,so can't see past a defeat
    2-0 to The Wednesday
  • Either diarra or Gomez should start ahead of Johnson. 1-1
  • Another 1-1. We take the lead with a goal from Vetokele and they get an equaliser just before half time. Second half is a damp squib
  • Gomez is first choice centre half now. If he's fit he plays.
  • A thrill a minute. 0-0
  • I think our season will just drift. 2-0 to Sheffield Wed.
  • 2-1 addicks, match thread from 1.45
  • Watt must be knackered...

1-0 to them.
  • LenGlover said:

Gomez is first choice centre half now. If he's fit he plays.

If Joe was 27 I'd be fully in agreement with your sentiments.

However a 17 year old needs a certain amount of "nursing" as too much football in a short space of time while growing can be detrimental.

Joe played 3 under 19 international games in a week or so plus the Millwall and Fulham matches in quick succession.

At his tender age he may well need to be rested.
    It's not necessarily my opinion, and I agree he will need resting, I'm just going on Luzon's recent team selections. It's tended to be Gomez +1 if he's fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• 3-2, Sordell hat-trick.
  • 2-0 church scoring twice.
    Most of the players on both teams are mentally on the beach
  • Could easily be 0-0 this one, but a good day out will help keep the spirits high.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • I believe the desire has gone on holiday now. 1-3
  • If Simon Church scores a hat trick I will get his name tattooed on my arse.

Could never have the word Church on my Arse because i'm an Atheist.

Thou if Simon get a hat trick at Wednesday, I would become a born again.

• Play Aherne-Grant, Church has had plenty of chances and he'll be gone in 5 games...
  • Sponsored links:

• Why not try A-G instead of Church?
  • Difficult to call with us definitely safe and Wendies only being able to go down through a mathemical miricle it could be a draw 0-0 or 1-1 or maybe both sides being realisically safe might be able to play with a bit of freedom and maybe the gaffers may experiement a bit.
  • Play Aherne-Grant, Church has had plenty of chances and he'll be gone in 5 games...

Agree, keep the youngsters coming.

• On the beach. Hard to get excited about this. Play some kids and players who we/Luzon knows will be around next year. No point in playing Church or anyone else whose contract will not be renewed. That includes Buyens/Bulot if their futures are known within the club. If they are going to be here next year or are in negotiations to be so than that's fair enough. Let's find out if LePoint really is guff or whether there's a player there. Give KAG a shot. Bring wiggins back to see if. he can still hack it. Try Lennon again etc. Can't even remotely begin to predict a score.
  • Agree with @dickplumb it's a drift-a-thon from here on in.
    2-0 defeat.
    Would like to see Igor rested for next season and give KAG a run.
  • Wendies 1-1 Charlton
    Followed by an open bus parade by the Massive's to celebrate.
    LenGlover said:

Gomez is first choice centre half now. If he's fit he plays.

If Joe was 27 I'd be fully in agreement with your sentiments.

However a 17 year old needs a certain amount of "nursing" as too much football in a short space of time while growing can be detrimental.

Joe played 3 under 19 international games in a week or so plus the Millwall and Fulham matches in quick succession.

At his tender age he may well need to be rested.
    Sorry Len, I disagree, if he's good enough he's old enough.
  • Valley11 said:

Agree with @dickplumb it's a drift-a-thon from here on in.
    2-0 defeat.
    Would like to see Igor rested for next season and give KAG a run.

You cant rest a player for a whole season!