Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Roger Johnson is still playing with a cracked rib

edited April 2015 in General Charlton
Lest we forget.

Just thought I'd mention it, as many people are commenting on his average performances.

Tbf, I'm amazed he's playing at all. It surely must be restricting his movement & pretty much everything.

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Why let the facts get in the way of a good old scapegoating, best old style English League centre half we've had on our books since Moro........ Oh hang on a minute :wink: .
  • Fractured two ribs go-karting once, was in a lot of pain trying to walk uphill or sleep let alone playing football!
  • why not?. perhaps poor sod playing for a contract.....
  • Quite right, I think we can now try a few things out in the remaining games.

Will Church be offered a new contract? If not then put KAG on the bench and give him some minutes on the pitch.

Maybe try Fox at centre back, give Lepoint some game time.
  • I bruised my ribs a few years ago playing football and that was painful enough. Found it difficult breathing so god knows how he's managing to play.
  • why not?. perhaps poor sod playing for a contract.....

Nice on Cyril. Spot on. And hopefully he will get one as well.
  • He must have painkilling injections or he's nearly fixed by now.
    I've cracked ribs before and it's painful enough going to the loo, let alone playing footie and getting elbowed etc
  • very painful and often takes a long time to mend .. strong painkillers and good strapping will get you through it
  • He has gone even higher in my esteem than before. I commented on Tuesday night that I wondered if it was still his ribs troubling him. Hopefully he is getting the best help.
  • Sponsored links:

• As previously mentioned, with little but pride to play for surely we can rest the guy. Perhaps they are anxious about the level of season ticket sales and want to finish the season as well as possible. I would have hoped that now is the time to look at some people with regard to next season.
  • Old school.
    Didn't Killer say he just played on with a broken toe?
    These days they are called metatarsals and you get half the season off if you've got onychomycosis or your manicurist is on maternity leave.
  • He's a man's man.
    Player's player.
    Old school.
    Worth another year. Taken his chance. Bikey seems more than happy to be on the bench. He seems to enjoy not playing. Big smiles whilst warming up.
  • Giving him a year or two contract would mean we dont have to spend time and money finding a replacement in the summer. Get him on board, I like him.
  • I see no reason why TBH, Gomez, Johnson & Bikey shouldn't be our 4 centre-halves for next season.
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks @Covered End I had been one of those questioning him getting a contract .

Gomez is now clearly ready to be one of the four senior centre backs in the squad . I would love TBH back on a new contract and hope we can offload Bikey . It is dependent on what happens with them about whether we retain Johnson in my opinion . My feeling is we also need a left footed CB so we could go 3 at the back on occasions to complete the balance of the squad .

As a left footed option maybe Harry Lennon will come good . Now we are safe I hope he gets some game time . Let's not forget we have Ayo Obileye getting rave reviews at the Daggers and in my view Diarra has acquitted himself well at the back as well .
  • I see no reason why TBH, Gomez, Johnson & Bikey shouldn't be our 4 centre-halves for next season.

no ta. Fell away too sharply. Get that Morrison bloke from Birmingham, he's looked half decent. :wink:
  • markmc68 said:

He's a man's man.
    Player's player.
    Old school.
    Worth another year. Taken his chance. Bikey seems more than happy to be on the bench. He seems to enjoy not playing. Big smiles whilst warming up.

Bikey's just a cheerful bloke. I have a mate who is very close to the Middlesbrough staff and they reckon he was a lovely bloke to have around the place. Especially kind to the younger players.

Johnson has given it everything and wasn't anywhere near fit even without the broken ribs. I like his attitude and maybe with a concerted pre-season he can regain his confidence.
  • Difficult.

None of us know how much (if at all) that rib injury is still affecting him, or what impact a full, proper pre-season would have on him. His last couple of performances have left you thinking we could probably do better (and most likely for cheaper), but again, are we seeing the best of him or not?

tough call i think
  • Admire his strength and courage, value his experience, get very worried about his lack of pace, especially when turning. Good back up, IMHO, but would look for a better, faster, equally strong left footed CB to partner Gomez/TBH. Bikey not the answer.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd have Gomez and TBH as the pairing for next season, if we can keep Johnson as cover / rotation then that's good. 4th choice I'd have a youngster (Lennon) and Diarra if needed.
  • I'd have Gomez and TBH as the pairing for next season, if we can keep Johnson as cover / rotation then that's good. 4th choice I'd have a youngster (Lennon) and Diarra if needed.

decent pair on the floor .. too weak in the air
  • Get that Fulham lad Dan Burn if they go down...6ft 7 (according to Wiki) and looked quick enough!
  • Simonsen said:

Get that Fulham lad Dan Burn if they go down...6ft 7 (according to Wiki) and looked quick enough!

Michael Turner could be an option.
  • Simonsen said:

Get that Fulham lad Dan Burn if they go down...6ft 7 (according to Wiki) and looked quick enough!

Michael Turner could be an option.
    Yep...he looked solid enough. F*ck it....get 'em both!

Roger Johnson has made a couple of Mistakes but the results overall have been good since he have been in the team. Tough call ?

Give Lennon 30 minutes as the Left sided CB at Wednesday.
    also KAG if fit should get the same time as a sub.

we will find out more about these lads in a Championship game than U21 Match.

Can you imagine the back 4 of Academy players in the last half hour of
    Solly 24
    Gomez17
    Lennon20
    Fox21

Average age 20y 6m. Their four of our own.
    But you still have to be good enough, let's try to find out if Harry can join his mates in the 1st team ?
  • edited April 2015
    Johnson cracked his rib against Brentford 14th February.
    It can take up to 6 weeks to mend, which takes it to 28th March.
    I suppose it's likely that it's just about mended, but nonetheless, he's pretty much played all or most his Charlton games, with a cracked rib and painkilling injections.

On that basis, I think he's worth a 1 year contract at least.

I am guessing, it would have effected all of his game. Jumping, heading, turning, running.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-roger-johnson-cracked-rib-2274705.aspx

TBH won plenty of headers on Tuesday, though I'd agree Gomez is a bit weak in the air at the moment

Unless we sign a new RB, Gomez will also be covering RB as well, so we need at least 3 other CBs
  • Despite TBH being the better player overall I feel that Johnson and Gomez make a better CB pairing. They just seem to compliment each other and Johnson is the shouter and organiser that our other defenders aren't.
  • edited April 2015

I'd have Gomez and TBH as the pairing for next season, if we can keep Johnson as cover / rotation then that's good. 4th choice I'd have a youngster (Lennon) and Diarra if needed.

TBH won plenty of headers on Tuesday, though I'd agree Gomez is a bit weak in the air at the moment

Unless we sign a new RB, Gomez will also be covering RB as well, so we need at least 3 other CBs
    Fair comment he did but we were suspect from corners as early in the season as Brighton away however I have far more confidence in Johnson to deal with the threat since he has been in the team. I'd be happy if we signed him up.