Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quality of the Pitch

Comments

• I think Paddy worked minor miracles season after season to get it looking as good as it did but not even he can polish a turd.
    Even during the good times I always felt the pitch was not as good as it could have been after the first month or so of each season. The drainage was always an issue, the goal mouths wore out as did the touch lines and all of it cut up badly. Maybe that old pitch cost us a few points, it certainly wasn't an advantage. I would have liked, (a bit of hindsight here), some of the money Pardew wasted spent on the pitch. That way at least he would have left us with something more than when he arrived.

It is good to see a top quality playing surface at the Valley and it would be hard to believe there is a better pitch in our league, it is truly outstanding and it and the groundsmen deserves all the praise they are receiving.

• But will Nathan thank Yann in his acceptance speech?
  • Who said Roland wouldn't have us challenging for titles?
  • Highly Commended.

• Playing on the pitch next Sunday :)
  • Groundspeople - unsung stalwarts.
  • Rotherham won Championship pitch of the year.
  • just shows the bloke shagging had poor seeds
  • Sponsored links:

• It's all very well, but something has been taken away from football.

(The Valley in 1937 and 1951.) Man city thawing out- using what looks like roasted chestnut braziers.
  • Used to be a man's game. Grass!!! Players today don't know they're born.
  • It's all very well, but something has been taken away from football.

(The Valley in 1937 and 1951.) Man city thawing out- using what looks like roasted chestnut braziers.

Interesting comment. I'm sure the football purists would disagree but I think you might have a point.

Sure the quality of the football suffered but there was something about the difference between the summer and winter months when some teams and players were better suited to the winter pitches.

Might just as well play on a carpet these days.

Perhaps nostalgia has given me a false perspective

• Rotherham won Championship pitch of the year.

Did they buy theirs last close season or have they maintained it for a while ?
  • so glad we got our pitchback to what a championship pitch should be,we showed this season football can be played,not like last year,now looking forward to the Bournemouth game
  • Getting a new one, again.

• Seems strange.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nobody was missing the 'good old days' when we had that aweful pitch 3 seasons ago

It's all very well, but something has been taken away from football.

• Seems pointless and a waste of money, I hope it isn't.
  • Played on it a few weeks ago. Considering there would have been no work done on it since the season finished, it was still like a carpet to play on.

Barely a bobble on it.
  • Missed a trick, they could have sold it off to the fans.

Quite right. We just bought a 4sq inch piece of the Nou camp grass for 24 Euros.

Especially the centre circle...
  • no it might be stained
  • edited June 2015
    I would much rather the pitch was over-invested in than under-invested in, as before. But, it does seem a strange use of limited funds when there is a lot of player signings/contracts to be sorted.