Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Getting over a result - what's the longest it's taken?

2»

Comments

• A few for me also mentioned on this thread. Italia 90, Sheff Utd away last season, Swindon in the play offs all took time. I didn't even get stick from work colleagues over the Sheff Utd and Swindon results. Sympathy instead of stick also says it all.

I'm also going to add in Tottenham at home which confirmed our relegation from the Premier League. Never had a drive home from The Valley seemed like such a slow long depressing drive home knowing our stint in the Premier League was over and after such a series of mistakes internally which caused the relegation too. I remember Oasis' Champage Supernova playing on the radio literally as soon as I turned on the ignition, it seemed kind of fitting at the time.
  • Euro 96.

I was 12 and obsessed with the football, it was at home so we were all swept up in the atmosphere etc.

Gutting.
  • probably the Blackburn away 4-1 in the Prem relegation season.

Nowadays I don't really give any thought to a defeat regardless of the opponents. Friday's result has dismissed in to room 101 with the rest of them.
  • Euro 96 was awful and we should have won the tournament that year. 1998 I could have merrily lynched David Beckham as good a captain and player he became I will always resent him for getting a mickey mouse red that day we played so well too, Argentina were one of the favourites and with the extra man we would have had them.

As far as charlton goes. I thought getting rolled 5-1 by the yids was the bottom of the pit, it took me until the 4-0 at the shit hole to get over that and I'm not over the 4-0 now.
  • Euro 96. I was at the game and had tickets for the final.

• I was 8 during Euro 96 and it was the first time I absolutely cried my eyes out at a football result when England lost to Germany. It was that Summer which made me a true 'heart on sleeve' football fanatic.

Try watching the highlights of that game. Each time I see clips I still think Gazza is going to prod that ball home into the empty net in Extra Time.
  • Last game of 71/72 v Blackpool - needed a draw to stay up, but managed to capitulate 5 0.
  • I was over Millwall by the time I got back to London Bridge, it was inevitable

Swindon play off I couldn't talk for about an hour, definitively the lowest point, worse because we didn't have another game for 3 months...

Otherwise the relegation season from the Prem, I thought we would beat Blackburn, that was a long drive home.
  • The 2-1 home defeat to 'them' in the play-offs was not good. I just knew we were not going to turn it around at Sainsburys.
  • Sponsored links:

• The 2-1 home defeat to 'them' in the play-offs was not good. I just knew we were not going to turn it around at Sainsburys.

They didn't even do nectar points then.

Was this the match where Ray Houghton scored a screamer?
    Every time I hear him on the radio I'm reminded of that match.
  • Sheffield United in the FA Cup was the worst performance I have ever seen us produce. Will never get over it. The other one that sticks in the throat is a defeat to Stoke in the 4th or 5th round of the League Cup in the late seventies. We were 2 0 down early on thanks in part to Viv Busby punching one in at the covered end. We pull it back to 2 2 with two from The Ship only for Garth Crooks to stick away a dodgy penalty in the last minute.
  • Either West Ham at home in the FA Cup 5th Round (lost 0-1...they were down to ten men after Mark Ward got sent off for being annoying)

or

WBA away in the FA Cup 0-1 (Trevor Ford puddle goal, then we hit the post, then we missed a penalty....everything went wrong for us that season)

• Strangely, the Blackburn Full Members defeat - we never turned up

Yes....and that one too. Blackburn didn't turn up either and I think that probably made it worse.
  • Bolton FA Cup Qtr
    Boro FA Cup Qtr
    Swindon play-off
    Man U at home 99 - Scholes (I think) injury time winner. Hated them soooo much.
    Sheff Utd Cup last season
    Millwall 4-0
    Friday - I wont lie, yet again it f*****g hurt despite the inevitability.

Euro 96 Germany pens
    France 98 Argies pens
    Euro 2004 France last min turnaround.
    Germany last game at old Wembley.
  • Euro 96. Could hardly function the next day.

Much stranger than that though - a defeat at Blackburn during our 98/99 losing streak. I think it was the hopelessness of the situation. I wasn't even there. I was on holiday with friends and I just went to my room and wouldn't come out. I was too embarrassed to admit that it was because of a football match.
  • timken said:

2-2 at old den cica 1989.paul williams put us 2-0 up with 4 mins to go ended 2-2.was stood on the half way line with a couple of millwall fans and vince .Took a long time to get over that.

My thoughts exactly
    Friday brought all this back to mind. Was supposed to meet someone for a post match beer, I couldn't face it and went home.
  • Friday really got to me, more than normal when we lose to that lot. I think it was because I'd genuinely convinced myself that we were going to win - and win comfertably - this time.

They didn't even do nectar points then.

Was this the match where Ray Houghton scored a screamer?
    Every time I hear him on the radio I'm reminded of that match.
    No palice player scores a good goal, but yes he did get the winner in the return leg.
  • Sheffield United in the FA Cup was the worst performance I have ever seen us produce. Will never get over it. The other one that sticks in the throat is a defeat to Stoke in the 4th or 5th round of the League Cup in the late seventies. We were 2 0 down early on thanks in part to Viv Busby punching one in at the covered end. We pull it back to 2 2 with two from The Ship only for Garth Crooks to stick away a dodgy penalty in the last minute.

Fantastic user name by the way!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    Those saying the Swindon play-off - need to remember we would have played Millwall in the final!
  • edited April 2015

Those saying the Swindon play-off - remember we would have been beaten by Millwall in the final!

In one way, I was happy not to be paying them.
  • Still NOT over the Fulham draw in 2006 and Graham Poll's inept referring and we still got a draw!
    I went as far as hunting out Poll's home address with a view to writing him a "polite letter" but decided that would be a waste of a stamp.
    (Another useless bastard from Hertfordshire - what is it with that county?)
  • I tend to be quite resilient when it comes to getting over defeats. Half a bottle of Eristoff and a handful of cocodamol and I'm golden :wink:
  • cafcfan said:

Still NOT over the Fulham draw in 2006 and Graham Poll's inept referring and we still got a draw!
    I went as far as hunting out Poll's home address with a view to writing him a "polite letter" but decided that would be a waste of a stamp.
    (Another useless bastard from Hertfordshire - what is it with that county?)

This, that game and that result sticks in the throat even now, timely reminder for tomorrow night
  • edited April 2015
    Deportivo playing Valencia away back in 2002 (or thereabouts). It was the last match played in La Liga that weekend, and on my quiniela (Spanish football pools) I'd got 13 right out of 13 plus the bonus 15 match. Plus I'd treated myself to a doublé on the Depor match, so the draw or the away win were fine. Halfway through the second half of a match Depor seemed to find no interest in (sound familiar?) Valencia scored through an own goal, and went on to win 1-0. The next day, I got a 35 Euro payout for 13. Had Deportivo not lost, it would have been 15,000 Euros, plus the happiness of a good away win for my Spanish team. Plus I was'nt married then, so the money would have been mine!
    After that, the 1990 Italia semi against Germany, the Euro 96 fiasco (I've never expected anything of England since and they've happily lived down to my expectations), Dartford losing to Bishops Stortford in an FA Trophy Semi Final, and Charlton? Bloody hell, so many to remember!! Spurs at home when we went down was bad, but a 1-1 draw against Sheff Utd when we were winning a couple of weeks before was worse, as it felt like the moment we blew it. That bloody Swindon match!! Winning at home against ten men! Northwich away! Boro away in the cup quarter final. The one that escapes me was the Sheffield cup fiasco last season, as we were playing so badly anyway, I thought it would happen.