Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Getting over a result - what's the longest it's taken?

The pain from Friday is easing, thanks to a combination of a) inevitability about the result, b) we could afford to lose (in terms of this season's outcomes) and c) not being there on the day. But it took a while, it it may well come back to haunt me if they stay up (especially in the run up to any fixtures next season.

But for me the wounds will heal relatively quickly. I think my worst lingering sores were not about relegation or heavy defeats, but the huge nagging pain of what might have been.

Losing to Palace in the play-offs was a bad one, but at the time I (rightly) felt that Palace wouldn't stay up long, and that we'd have other chances. So my all time downer, which took me literally months to get over, was losing in the Cup at Old Trafford. We had a good day, weren't disgraced, so why was i dwelling on it for so long? I guess because it was a missed opportunity for one of the best days ever (certainly at that point better than I'd had as a Charlton fan). And to get to a semi final of course. I constantly replayed the second half, if Curbs had been more creative with his tactics (for the record, he should have stuck Mark Robson on the left and told him not to track back. That was where United had left a gap). In fact, even now I'm cursing that second half...

Comments

• Friday has been softened / confused by getting two-day drunk as a result.

Longest to get over a game was the 4-0 battering at their gaff about it five years ago. I'm still not sure I've fully got over that even now!
  • 1990 World Cup. Still having therapy
  • For me it always depends on the manner of the performance. I can imagine that 4-0 at Millwall a few years ago would've made my blood boil if I was there. I didn't go to the Northwich cup game a few years back but watched it on TV. I remember wanting to punch Izale McLeod if I had had the option that day. That was a tough one to take
  • edited April 2015

Friday has been softened / confused by getting two-day drunk as a result.

Longest to get over a game was the 4-0 battering at their gaff about it five years ago. I'm still not sure I've fully got over that even now!

Yup, that's the one ...our end was so loud that day until the goals started seconds before halftime ...and that first one just trickled in.

Still hurts.
  • The Wycombe cup game. Was fuming for days after that "performance".

The Swindon play off defeat lingered as well.

The other one that stands out was the 2-1 defeat at Everton in the Premier League relegation season.
  • edited April 2015
    Spurs away - 5-1 in the rain
    West Ham away - 5-0
    Leeds home - 6-1

Don't think I ever get over being battered, it's only a game I keep telling myself, man up.
  • 1990 World Cup. Still having therapy

Yeah, good call. Same thing as Old Trafford - so close..and we knew even then we might not close again for a while
  • I'm still not over that 1-0 defeat to Millwall when Piggott had a nightmare.
  • Sponsored links:

First match I saw at The Valley. ....
    2-2 .
    Fell in love with the ground. ....
    Didn't realise then that you had to take the team aswell. ........
  • The 2-2 draw at the old den felt as bad if not worse than a defeat
  • palice May 2005.......................never!
  • The Swindon play off defeat sticks out in my mind. No way we should have lost that game.
  • I thought a weekend at Chessington world of adventures would make me forget but alas no...
    having the contents of my wallet apparently sucked out hasn't helped.
  • Friday hurts more than anything before , we could have killed a club who represent the worse things in society , the filthy horrible helmets who support that scummy club deserve no joy whatsoever
    As SHG says until they are relegated and head toward the lower echelons of football where they belong I won't rest easy
  • CHGCHG
    edited April 2015
    For some reason the Swindon play off match with Bailey's skyward pen knocked me bandy. Took me about a week to get over it, real low point.
  • Friday hurts more than anything before , we could have killed a club who represent the worse things in society , the filthy horrible helmets who support that scummy club deserve no joy whatsoever
    As SHG says until they are relegated and head toward the lower echelons of football where they belong I won't rest easy

I'm not quite that bad....but i got a drink fuelled text from my millwall mate late on friday night which pissed me off no end. No birthday pressies for his kids anymore.
  • The Swindon play off defeat sticks out in my mind. No way we should have lost that game.

Just seen your post, glad I am not alone.
  • 2-2 at old den cica 1989.paul williams put us 2-0 up with 4 mins to go ended 2-2.was stood on the half way line with a couple of millwall fans and vince .Took a long time to get over that.
  • Sponsored links:

First match I saw at The Valley. ....
    2-2 .
    Fell in love with the ground. ....
    Didn't realise then that you had to take the team aswell. ........

What about that away game at Wolves in 1956 when you were 8 ?
  • Euro 96 v Germany - Southgate's penalty. I was there and couldn't get over it for days.
    Swindon play off
    Losing to France in the World Cup when we were 1-0 up with not long to play
    Strangely, the Blackburn Full Members defeat - we never turned up
    Drawing at Millwall 2-2 when 2-0 up
    Stuffed 5-0 at Swindon and then getting home to see it on Match of the Day (many years ago)
    Losing 4-3 at home to Millwall
  • For me it does tend to be cup ones that hurt the longest.

Bolton fa QF in 2000 I was gutted for ages that stands out for me as one along time ago that has lasted in my mind. A winnable semi final against villa and we were so good that year.

Boro QF annoyed me for ages as well. Again a winnable semi vs west ham.

The 2-3 home defeats from 2-0 up against spurs when we were second in the league and then to bburn in the league cup 4th round annoyed me.

The 4-0 to Millwall, the palace play off semis defeat.

The Swindon semi defeat and watching Millwall go up at wembley hurt all summer.

I also remember being gutted about that draw away at Watford in the prem relegation season when Lisbie missed a last minute sitter to win it.
  • I will NEVER get over Northwich Victoria.
  • edited April 2015
    Losing on penalties in Italia 90 and Euro 96 were my hardest to get over . Now when England get knocked out i'm not so down because i expect it.
    Since i have had kids I've never really let a Charlton game get me too much down because i believe there are far more important things to get down about.
    If i had to pick a more recent one it would be the Play Off semi final against Swindon.
  • 1-2 v Palace 1989

Just awful.
  • agreed 1-2 palace 89 was unbearable
  • CHG said:

For some reason the Swindon play off match with Bailey's skyward pen knocked me bandy. Took me about a week to get over it, real low point.

Definitely my lowest point as a charlton supporter. I genuinely couldn't see a way back for us and, to make things worse, had the entire summer to dwell on it.

The 0-4 at Millwall runs it close.

I'm already over Friday.
  • Losing Penalty shoot-outs because England Managers thing it's a lottery.
    It takes great skill, and the worse case ever was when David Batty took one even thou he hadn't taken once since he was 10. (missed then as well)

As history keeps repeating itself, i don't every get over CAFC losing or drawing to Millwall. AWAY
    Losing 3-2 when 2 up at HT.
    Losing 3-2 when Robert Lee scored twice(Teddy got 3)
    draw when 2 up with just minutes to go.
    Home
    losing 0-1 to deflection.
    losing 0-2 a free from 35 yards.

The semi final at home to Swindon when we were 2-0 up against 10 men and yet.......

Amnesia is not the worse thing that can happen to one in life.
  • timken said:

2-2 at old den cica 1989.paul williams put us 2-0 up with 4 mins to go ended 2-2.was stood on the half way line with a couple of millwall fans and vince .Took a long time to get over that.

My thoughts exactly