Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Blackburn | Sat 14 Mar 2015 | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions,News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Blackburn Rovers
3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey)

Introduction

When a new man takes over the hot seat at a Football club there will always be the same questions asked, can he win matches, can he get a side to win a match when his side gets pegged back from a winning position and can this new Manager lift his team after a defeat and ensure the rot doesn’t set in… All these are questions that have been convincingly answered by new man: Guy Luzon yet there was one final question he had to answer… Can he turn a match from a losing position into a victory? Well again that was answered last weekend as Charlton continued their good run with a 2-1 victory at Cardiff City to keep their faint play-off hopes alive, those hopes could become more genuine this weekend as we face another side looking to make a late surge: Blackburn Rovers

The Opposition
Fresh from their exploits in the FA Cup; Blackburn like Charlton are hoping to make the Championship Play-Offs following a three year absence from the Premier League and like Derby County before them, Blackburn are the second club in the Championship this season that Charlton will have faced on three occasions… The most recent of these came at the beginning of Blackburn’s FA Cup run to the Quarter-Finals, winning 2-1 at the Valley courtesy of goals from ex-Millwall Winger: Chris Taylor (Johann Gudmundsson would score the Addicks’ consolation goal).

Of course it’s only the League that matters now and it was at Ewood Park where Blackburn recorded the first of their victories over Charlton winning 2-0 thanks to goals from Football League danger man: Jordan Rhodes, as a result of that match and ever since, Blackburn would sit just out of reach the play-offs and with a FA Cup Quarter-Final reply against Liverpool to look forward to and a potential Wembley appearance, you have to wonder which is the priority for Gary Bowyer’s side.

Player to Watch
Before going on to my reasons, I of course like to start this section by highlighting the links between these two sides, whilst there are currently no ex-players lining up against old opposition this weekend you can be sure that Chris Eagles and Tal Ben-Haim will get less than warm welcomes from the visiting fans due to their links with rivals; Bolton Wanderers… Luke Varney could have lined up against his old club; Charlton had he still been at Blackburn yet he has moved on loan to Ipswich Town.

My Player to watch this week though is a modern day Blackburn cult-hero who seems to have been around for ever… Signing for the youth team in 1997… David Dunn would make his Blackburn debut a year later in a goal-less draw with Everton, in a spell that would last five years, Dunn would go on to appear 136 times before moving on to Birmingham City in 2003, there he would spend four years in an injury hit spell before returning to Blackburn in 2006 where he would go on to make over 170-appearances in his second spell.

Released by Blackburn last summer he would re-sign for the club just eleven days later, making just eleven appearances this season (his last match was the victory against Swansea City in the FA Cup) you’d hope to see the long serving player just in hope to see tricks like this once more…

Line-Up
Having been substituted at half-time due to an ankle injury, Stephen Henderson will have to face a late fitness test before being considered this Saturday, of course, Guy Luzon could decide to rest the No. 1 for Blackpool on Tuesday night which means that backup: Mark Dmitrovic will surely start this weekend… Neither Rhoys Wiggins or Johnnie Jackson will appear before the next International break at the end of the month whilst Tal Ben-Haim could be back in contention following injury.

Dmitrovic
Solly – Gomez – Johnson – Fox
Gudmundsson – Buyens – Cousins – Bulot
Vetokele – Watt

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 2-1 Blackburn Rovers

Comments

• 2-1 addicks. I will be unable to do the match thread tomorrow due to illness, hope to be back for Blackpool game, apologies to all.
  • Another big day for Gomez and Johnson against Gestede and Rhodes - could be a game centred around 4 striker and 4 centre halves tomorrow. Whichever one has the better day wins because there really isn't a lot between the teams
  • edited March 2015
    cafc4life said:

hope you feel better soon @Redmidland

Thanks mate, I've picked up a bad cold, it has affected my blood count for my heart, I'm now on 'chill-out' weekend and not allowed to get 'up-tight'
  • Fill your boots guys 3-0 home win. COYR's
  • 2-1 to GL's Red and too much White Army.
  • Its about time we drew a game.............so 2-0 to us.

COYR's
  • cafc4life said:

hope you feel better soon @Redmidland

Thanks mate, I've picked up a bad cold, it has affected my blood count for my heart, I'm now on 'chill-out' weekend and not allowed to get 'up-tight'
    Do you get up-tight when we win Red, or only when we lose, as we will be winning tomorrow, you should be OK, get well
  • Not seen a win live all season, only a pre-season win against Portsmouth! it's about time! COYR 3-1
  • Sponsored links:

• keep wrapped up and stress free Red, get well soon

• I have man flu and a Priest has been called so will have to miss this one.

'One Lenny Luzon
    There's only one Lenny Luzon'

More pills please nurse.

2-2

(Get well soon Red Mid)
  • The Jensen last minute winner was brilliant, just after Brad Friedel had scored for them.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGkxvL65Tt4
  • The Jensen last minute winner was brilliant, just after Brad Friedel had scored for them.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGkxvL65Tt4

When Friedel went up for the corner I just knew he was going to score for some reason and walked out when he did... Ultimately meant that I'd missed the Jensen winner
  • In the 1980s we ALWAYS used to beat Blackburn at home. Time for some 80s nostalgia. I'll listen to The Luxury Gap by Heaven 17 before the match then witness a 2-0 victory.
  • That was a fine finish by Simon Church!
  • 2-1 addicks. I will be unable to do the match thread tomorrow due to illness, hope to be back for Blackpool game, apologies to all.

Sorry to hear that RM.

1-1
  • Blackburn don't concede many but we will be much fresher so i'm going for a 2-0 win. Gudmunsson and Watt.
  • Comfortable home win 4--0. Get well soon RM.
  • Due to the arrival of our second child I've missed the last 3 home games, which we have of course won. I'm back for this one though so expect a resumption of our pre-'Luzon bump' form.

Sorry!
  • Sponsored links:

• Think Hendo will be just fine as he only had a twisted ankle, and TBH also should be back. Looks like our good form will continue. 2-0 to the Addicks. Get well soon RM!!
  • Blackburn have got the best front two in the division in Rhodes and Gestade. Also Conway and Marshall are excellent. I am hoping that the exertions of Liverpool and Bolton will have effected them. If not I can see Blackburn nicking this 1-0.
  • In the 1980s we ALWAYS used to beat Blackburn at home. Time for some 80s nostalgia. I'll listen to The Luxury Gap by Heaven 17 before the match then witness a 2-0 victory.

This is so true. The likes of Derek Fazakerley, Noel Brotherston, Simon Garner and Ian Miller didn't travel too well and it was normally a comfortable 2-0 or 3-0 win. We used to get routinely beaten up there too with the odd exception.
  • edited March 2015
    Looking forward to seeing members of the 68/69 team before the game, although I didn't start going until the following season, I saw most of the names mentioned play. Get well soon RM.
  • Hoping Blackburn wont be quite up to this one after their huge effort at Anfield and a midweek game which by the sounds of it they were fighting until the death again. 3-1 to us. Come Saturday night we are 11 points off the play offs and some members of CL begin to lose their sh*t!

The Reds are going up!
  • First Saturday home match I'll miss this season as in Budapest.

2-0 to us. COYR!
  • Eagles to score to REALLY f*** them off.
  • 2-1 to GL's Red and too much White Army.
  • two in form sides.. unless BumBurn are saving something for t'coop, I fancy them for a point .

CAFC2 v Blackburn Rovers 2