Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Trust & The General Meeting

Comments

• I can't understand all the obtuse remarks about individuals and their perceived agendas and motivations. We have accusations of egoism, bitterness, the desire for praise or power or recognition, often made in an obscure 'I reckon' manner.
    May I suggest that if posters want to dig out fellow supporters then they ought to have the courage to list their names, and alongside those names list precise accusations. I think backing up those accusations with evidence may prove too difficult to hope for.
  • razil said:

• And as for the other point about noses out of joint, the Trust were reasonably happy to play a long game with the new owners and demonstrate our worth.

R

Out of interest, what changed that?
    Its not changed wholly, other than that when a critical situation emerged we wanted dialogue, and were refused

I think there was also a bit of wait and see, and to their credit the club have fixed the immediate issue it would appear of not having a fit for purpose squad. Seems to be quick fix though, and I think the summer will be very indicative as to where the squad is going.

To be honest I shouldn't really talk at great length as its really up to the people now in TB to take this forward.

Back to VFFs point, I'd agree that the squad thinness and on the pitch crisis was also an element, but a short term one. I think it would be a mistake to ignore the longer term trends
  • Can anyone remember when "next summer" won't actually tell us more ?
  • Can anyone remember when "next summer" won't actually tell us more ?

I think Jimmy Seed was the manager.

Wrong flag.
  • I think the lack of conversation goes back to the Group of 21 asking for a meeting. There are a lot of people now running the club who wouldn't know what these people achieved and possibly thought they didn't represent the majority of supporters. Then the Trust declined a meeting with a representative from the club as they wanted to speak to the CEO only. If they had taken up that offer, then a dialogue could have been achieved. Whats happened now is that nobody wants to climb down from their stand. I remember back to the Cuba missile crisis when JFK decided not to answer a communication from Kruschev but reply to an earlier one, and some sort of peace was achieved. It might be an idea to refloat the idea of meeting a representative and thereby establish a dialogue that may get the CEO involved after a period time
  • edited March 2015
    As has been mentioned before itwas an operational meeting, and one of our number was already due to attend.
  • I think the lack of conversation goes back to the Group of 21 asking for a meeting. There are a lot of people now running the club who wouldn't know what these people achieved and possibly thought they didn't represent the majority of supporters. Then the Trust declined a meeting with a representative from the club as they wanted to speak to the CEO only. If they had taken up that offer, then a dialogue could have been achieved. Whats happened now is that nobody wants to climb down from their stand. I remember back to the Cuba missile crisis when JFK decided not to answer a communication from Kruschev but reply to an earlier one, and some sort of peace was achieved. It might be an idea to refloat the idea of meeting a representative and thereby establish a dialogue that may get the CEO involved after a period time

As Razil has posted, and has been explained already this was not a case of 'only' wanting to speak to the CEO.
    Not sure about the Cuban missile crisis!........ but your idea to 'refloat' this process is agreed....... has been on the trust website for a day or so........
    http://www.castrust.org/2015/03/attempts-at-dialogue-to-continue/

i will post it..... to avoid going around in circles...........
    We have approached the board once again in order to secure an initial conversation on these matters. We hope to start to build towards a meaningful and ongoing link between the owner and the club’s supporters, for mutual benefit, in order to support success and preserve the long-term identity of Charlton Athletic Football Club.

We hope and expect that the concerns of supporters will be recognised by the club’s leaders, and that they will respond appropriately. Therefore we do not support alternative action at this time.

• I understand the trust declined a meeting with someone the CEO proposed?

• Sponsored links:

• razil said:

As has been mentioned before it was an operational meeting, and one of our number was already due to attend.

As Barnie who was the chair at the time has posted........ the trust were already speaking to that person..... that 'someone'.
    Rikofold did explain this last week......
  • Ken, cannot you use the FF to have meaningful dialogue with the club? That way even the people that are not part or share the same views as the trust can have an input? That way we could all move forward 'as one'
  • For clarity, my question is open to all trust board members and not solely directed at ken.

Maybe the new chair would like to answer..??
  • cafc999 said:

Ken, cannot you use the FF to have meaningful dialogue with the club? That way even the people that are not part or share the same views as the trust can have an input? That way we could all move forward 'as one'

My understanding is that the Trust is part of the Fans' Forum so does indeed engage via that route.

I stand to be corrected by those more au fait with Club politics but as I understand it the Fans' Forum engages with the Club very much on the Club's terms only and thus is not independent.

My understanding, as just an ordinary member, is that the Trust sees itself as an INDEPENDENT body representing the fans of Charlton Athletic Football Club. That key word independent renders it necessary for the Trust to establish its own communication links.

• As Barnie who was the chair at the time has posted........ the trust were already speaking to that person..... that 'someone'.
    Rikofold did explain this last week......

I wonder why I bother
  • LenGlover said:

cafc999 said:

Ken, cannot you use the FF to have meaningful dialogue with the club? That way even the people that are not part or share the same views as the trust can have an input? That way we could all move forward 'as one'

My understanding is that the Trust is part of the Fans' Forum so does indeed engage via that route.

I stand to be corrected by those more au fait with Club politics but as I understand it the Fans' Forum engages with the Club very much on the Club's terms only and thus is not independent.

My understanding, as just an ordinary member, is that the Trust sees itself as an INDEPENDENT body representing the fans of Charlton Athletic Football Club. That key word independent renders it necessary for the Trust to establish its own communication links.
    Everyone else on the FF is also independent and I am sure not matter what meeting you get it will always be on there terms.

By the sounds of it the trust seek an exclusive meeting with the club where only they are present and only there views are on offer (unless you pay your fiver)
  • cafc999 said:

For clarity, my question is open to all trust board members and not solely directed at ken.

Maybe the new chair would like to answer..??

Maybe he isn't a Lifer? Perhaps he should be pointed in this direction.

• yes that is right @cafc999 the Trust as a representative group want to have an exclusive meeting with the owner / CEO, the same way that Bromley Addicks tonight want an exclusive meeting with the CEO for its members and not a shared meeting with Maidstone, East Kent, NWKA etc ata neutral venue in Sevenoaks, nor do Bromley want the CEO to reject but offer to send Tina from the office to speak to them instead. Rightly so on all counts. Its vital that the CEO reaches out to as many of these types as she can.

I can't for like of me understand why people continue want to outright hammer them, or just as bad, continually chip away in negative sense. No group of volunteers is ever perfect, nor will it ever fully allign with everyone's viewpoint. When it is wide off the mark (as it has been on occassions in the past), the majority of people have clearly make that known.

But these things only exist through the general support of people, and the energy of those prepared to step up, put the work in, and in doing so put themselves up as a target. If all the work only ever results in criticism, snipes or sly digs, that energy soon seeps away and it becomes draining. The result is pople either walk away or contribute less.

I've not always been a fan of everything the Trust as a board have tried to involve themselves in (everything!), or the way they have approached other things (too aggressive, too PR), but I accept as a new and quickly growing group it was always going to make mistakes. But come on, it seems to have evolved a lot from those early days, for a volunteer group they have got themselves hugely organised and structured, through real fans like me and you.

Can they help achieve anything by engaging with KM or RD? Who knows.

But there's got to be a time surely the digs stop and people give them a break?

I can't remember Bromley Addicks, or others, requesting 'meaningful' dialogue with the Owner, calling a Public Meeting or threatening other courses of actions though.

• AFKA you are right, the difference being that Bromley addicts and other supporter groups do not claim to be the voice of every Charlton fan.

IMHO the trust has had good opportunity via the FF and by using the official means of communication (Richard Murray) but have failed to act. The club and the trust are bad as each other (the trusts only saving grace is that they are volunteers and do not work on it full time)

In principle, the trust is a good idea but with the owner being as stubborn as we know he is then it is doomed. Saying that, and as a former member of the trust, I wish them well in the future.

• Sponsored links:

• two questions:
    did KM offer the Trust another staff member whom they could engage with?
    did the Trust take her up on this offer?
  • cafc999 said:

AFKA you are right, the difference being that Bromley addicts and other supporter groups do not claim to be the voice of every Charlton fan.

IMHO the trust has had good opportunity via the FF and by using the official means of communication (Richard Murray) but have failed to act. The club and the trust are bad as each other (the trusts only saving grace is that they are volunteers and do not work on it full time)

In principle, the trust is a good idea but with the owner being as stubborn as we know he is then it is doomed. Saying that, and as a former member of the trust, I wish them well in the future.

Neither do the Trust claim to be the Voice of every Charlton fan, but to represent the fans who have wanted to join, and be represented by those (volunteers) who will attempt to do so. The Trust is also part of a wider Trust movement:

http://www.supporters-direct.org/homepage/what-we-do/links/supporters-trusts

....and in that context they are a level or two beyond the 'ad hoc'.

The Trust is credible because it is an attempt to be a body of Charlton fans trying to strengthen not weaken the existence of Charlton Athletic. A lot of businesses actively want engagement with their customers (supporters), and those self same customers usually don't have to go looking for it either.
  • two questions:
    did KM offer the Trust another staff member whom they could engage with?
    did the Trust take her up on this offer?

Yes and yes - but seriously both questions have been answered so many times on this forum and even this thread. I refer you back to AFKA's comment for his view on the appropriateness of that response, and my last comment to understand why we feel there are different levels of engagement needed. Please, let's not keep going back over old ground.
  • Seth, I fully understand what the trust wants to be but when you have people from the trust shouting in the street "join the trust and get the belgian out' it kind of ruins your point.
  • cafc999 said:

Seth, I fully understand what the trust wants to be but when you have people from the trust shouting in the street "join the trust and get the belgian out' it kind of ruins your point.

I have not heard this, but I accept that you have, but 'people'? Or a person?
    I don't see however why people/a person you heard shouting in the street ruins my point.
    I have also heard some unsavoury chanting and comments from our support, but that does not invalidate the support as a whole.

• The Trust had "Get Roland Out" as one of only 4 vote-for-action points on the latest survey.

It certainly seems high on someone's agenda.

• PL54 said:

The Trust had "Get Roland Out" as one of only 4 vote-for-action points on the latest survey.

It certainly seems high on someone's agenda.

Or it's just reflecting a viewpoint of fans, the same as the other action points are, which is the Trust's role.
  • seth plum said:

cafc999 said:

Seth, I fully understand what the trust wants to be but when you have people from the trust shouting in the street "join the trust and get the belgian out' it kind of ruins your point.

I have not heard this, but I accept that you have, but 'people'? Or a person?
    I don't see however why people/a person you heard shouting in the street ruins my point.
    I have also heard some unsavoury chanting and comments from our support, but that does not invalidate the support as a whole.

Seth, stop clutching at straws and comparing what I and many other people have witnessed to what crowds chant in the ground.

As the post above indicates, it was one of the 4 points on your survey.

• edited March 2015
    My survey?
    I think you mean the Trusts survey...not that I am against a range of questions on a survey.
    As for clutching at straws, well repeating what you have witnessed for yourself is not exactly a solid foundation to make much of a case against the Trust when compared with the actual researchable facts that exist.