Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Suppose I got to ask RD my questions, and he answered like this...

2»

Comments

• Well this thread ' s gone well :-)

Not much to add really. good post @Stevie K . Just to be clear, as Airman says the Trust has never supported the idea of a season ticket strike. We think it's in the best interests of everyone that the club maximizes its revenue, and certainly we are are interested to help with plans that increase that revenue.

Actually Stevie K why don't you come and have a chat with one of the Trust people at one of the games. You're a member, you believe we ve been sounding the wrong notes at times, we want to hear from people like you, you can help to shape our message and action.

No idea what @Kap10 refers to. I don't think a discussion on Glynnes mailing list, which he was part of, constitutes a "demand" . Anyway on the other thread which I was chased off I was told that I used to have "cozy chats" with the chairman in those days.

And @greenie ...Every cloud, eh?

And you guys accuse KM/RD of telling porkie pies. LOL
    Airman Brown Member
    March 2014 in General Charlton
    My view is that we should consider asking supporters to withhold their season ticket renewals for the time being until we get some clarity about what is going on with our club.

Personally I have no confidence in any of the people running it, including the leadership team as well as the board, and season tickets are the one lever we can pull without being accused of damaging the team. It's just an idea and I'd welcome people's input.
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/60548/season-ticket-strike-to-bring-the-owner-to-the-table/p1

Absurdistan, please get your facts correct.

Airman, is not on the Trust board and never has been.

The Trust did not support this view & nor did many others, It was Airman's idea & was rejected by the vast majority.

PS I'm not taking sides. I just don't like people peddling mis-information.
  • Not equal, but has significant influence (my perception)? Is he a member?
    How many recently vocal anti-rd trust members have posted support in this thread?
  • Well this thread ' s gone well :-)

Not much to add really. good post @Stevie K . Just to be clear, as Airman says the Trust has never supported the idea of a season ticket strike. We think it's in the best interests of everyone that the club maximizes its revenue, and certainly we are are interested to help with plans that increase that revenue.

Actually Stevie K why don't you come and have a chat with one of the Trust people at one of the games. You're a member, you believe we ve been sounding the wrong notes at times, we want to hear from people like you, you can help to shape our message and action.

No idea what @Kap10 refers to. I don't think a discussion on Glynnes mailing list, which he was part of, constitutes a "demand" . Anyway on the other thread which I was chased off I was told that I used to have "cozy chats" with the chairman in those days.

And @greenie ...Every cloud, eh?

And you guys accuse KM/RD of telling porkie pies. LOL
    Airman Brown Member
    March 2014 in General Charlton
    My view is that we should consider asking supporters to withhold their season ticket renewals for the time being until we get some clarity about what is going on with our club.

Personally I have no confidence in any of the people running it, including the leadership team as well as the board, and season tickets are the one lever we can pull without being accused of damaging the team. It's just an idea and I'd welcome people's input.
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/60548/season-ticket-strike-to-bring-the-owner-to-the-table/p1

The clue is in the words 'My', and 'Personally'.

• edited March 2015
    I am with Clem and AFKA . I admit it I am fickle .The recent improvement in form has lifted my mood considerably .

But then so have some of the recent announcements by the club . The retention of affordable season ticket prices has pleased me . The Cross bars u turn also should be applauded . When we were losing Katrien's boast of free wifi was scoffed at . Now I think we can appreciate the gesture because at most clubs this is not a feature for ordinary fans but only the Prawn sandwich brigade . Steviek refers to Roland saying he wants people to congregate at the Valley and enjoy meeting their friends . Again in the context of a successful team maybe we can appreciate this aspiration and the Stadium upgrades .

I have sympathy with the view that most owners today do not care and are oblivious to the views of ordinary fans , but the above makes me feel that Roland and Katrien have some insight .

I do hope the Trust can build a dialogue with them and together build the unity which was previously an impressive feature of Charlton over the last 30 years .

• Feel the same way Richard J.. I had a knee jerk reaction when i read the CP interview about meddling with the playing side of things having not really known what I thought of the board either way. That sort of thing will never sit well with me nor will the multi club ownership but we currently appear to be financially secure for the first time in over a decade on a long term basis hopefully, investment has been and continues to be made in the clubs infrastructure, we have brought in some class signings and stringing results together after what appears to be a masterstroke in firing and hiring managers re Peeters and Luzon.

There will always be fear of the unknown as with everything in life but for me it is all very positive on and off the pitch at the moment and I think if positive momentum continues to build between now and the close season then the next few seasons could see us progress even further.

Fickle maybe but am a lot more positive about where the club is and where we are heading under the owners than i did a month ago. Time will tell.
  • Not equal, but has significant influence (my perception)? Is he a member?
    How many recently vocal anti-rd trust members have posted support in this thread?

Your perception is incorrect, and frankly a bit insulting to those members of the Trust board who are more than capable of representing their own views and do fiercely when required. I doubt the G21 would ever have met if Rick and the Trust were in bed together in the way you imagine.

Perhaps you could name those members of the Trust board who are anti-RD, given the confidence with which you write such drivel?
  • So was the current Trust Chair not a signatory to the G21 meeting?
  • Addickted said:

So was the current Trust Chair not a signatory to the G21 meeting?

Ouch.

• And do you remember what the G21 meeting was requesting ?

"The purpose of the meeting was to try to establish a temporary umbrella group from which to seek a constructive and positive dialogue with the new owner of the club, and if that does not prove possible then to create a basis to recommend and to co-ordinate any appropriate action to respond to events.

In the first instance, the group is seeking an urgent face-to-face meeting with Roland Duchatelet or Katrien Miere in order try to get a better understanding of the owner’s intentions and report back to the wider support."

So what is the problem with the current Trust chair being a signatory ?
  • Pico said:

What was the problem with the current Trust Chair doing this through the Trust, rather than start up a splinter group?

• Sponsored links:

• rikofold said:

Not equal, but has significant influence (my perception)? Is he a member?

Your perception is incorrect, and frankly a bit insulting to those members of the Trust board who are more than capable of representing their own views and do fiercely when required. I doubt the G21 would ever have met if Rick and the Trust were in bed together in the way you imagine.

Perhaps you could name those members of the Trust board who are anti-RD, given the confidence with which you write such drivel?
    You obviously don't bother reading this site much or ignore the posts of your esteemed colleague PragueAddick.
    To be honest I can't make a connection with the rest of your trust board and posters on here. (I don't read other forums.)
    I have however developed strong belief that the board is anti RD. Anti Network at the very least.

• Addickted said:

So was the current Trust Chair not a signatory to the G21 meeting?

Yes - your point is? When are people going to get it in their heads that the G21 is not an organised campaign group. It was one meeting that got attributed a name for reference purposes.

Airman may or may not have organised it, no idea, presume so, but the idea that any of the 21 who attended must automatically be his lackey is simply ridiculous. I presume, by the same logic, that the 400 people at Woolwich that night are now to be considered blind followers of Razil? Including, er, Airman?
  • edited March 2015

rikofold said:

You obviously don't bother reading this site much or ignore the posts of your esteemed colleague PragueAddick.
    To be honest I can't make a connection with the rest of your trust board and posters on here. (I don't read other forums.)
    I have however developed strong belief that the board is anti RD. Anti Network at the very least.

So just to be clear, you have no idea whether any of the Trust board are anti-RD, but because you feel Prague must be therefore we all must be? What happened to 'Airman is so you all must be'? - and even Airman said he wasn't opposed to working constructively with RD (as indeed was said out of that G21 meeting).

Each Trust member will have their own personal view, but the Trust position is quite clear. RD is the owner, we respect that, but we wish to seek a meaningful dialogue with him and his board because we believe the club is stronger with supporters at its heart.

If that's the Trust being anti-RD then you've missed the entire point of this thread, the public meeting (which I assume you missed), our statement today. It's not a campaign, it's not negative.
  • Why wouldn't the club want to be in some sort of dialogue with supporters who can offer 'free' help and assistance in encouraging our supporters to keep coming to The Valley
    What is there not to be gained
    Is it that the club would prefer not to have a critical friend and be surrounded by 'yes' men/women

• edited March 2015
    StevieK said:

This had led to a level of questioning of strategy and plan that is just not normal for football clubs and did not happen under the last regime here. How many football fans know anything more about their club’s strategy than ‘we want to win the league’, which might be true but is pure fantasy for most. It seems that some people would be happier if the club did lie to them on this and give them bland, la-la land promises.

For me, the most worrying aspect to Roland Duchatelet’s ownership of our club is that we can no longer make the same assumptions about the club’s strategy which supporters of other clubs can make. They don’t have to worry about their owner’s strategic vision because (in most cases at any rate) it is obvious. The owner, board, CEO, manager, players and fans all want the same thing, a winning team – not so that it can be the sparkling plaything of a dilletante owner or help to line his pockets, not so that the club would then be in the best position to sell its most prized players for large transfer fees in the close season, not so that it can move its better players to other teams held abroad by the same owner and not so that it becomes an attractive prospect for resale – but for its own sake, for the love of the game, to build something splendid which everyone connected to the club can share in and which will be valued for generations. That is why the main priority each season for most clubs is to win promotion, to move the club up the footballing ladder. Everything else (profitability, prestige, influence etc) follows from that.

However, that’s for the other, “normal”, clubs.

When it comes to Charlton Athletic, we do not know what M. Duchatalet wants with us. We do not know why he has invested his money in our club. Is it to try to make us the best team in England? Is it to help get us to the Premier League as quickly as possible? Is it to restore us to the lofty position we were in a decade ago and do things properly this time? We do not know. Is it to provide a testing ground for players for his network of clubs? Could Johann or Igor or Joe be taken from us to play for a Belgian club next season? Will some of our best academy products never actually get the chance to play for our first team? Will summer turn into sale day at the Valley each year? We do not know that either.

And if it is neither of these extremes, what is it that he wants? And why won’t he (or Katrien or Richard or anyone with the appropriate authority) just come out and tell us? Reassurance, that’s all we need. Just tell us everything is going to be fine, that Roland only wants to do right by us, that of course we are his priority, that all his efforts are aimed at furthering the interests of our club, including players’ comings and goings, and that he has put his team into the Valley with that aim squarely in mind. That’s not too much to ask of a club owner, is it?

If anyone thinks that these questions have already been dealt with, by the way, please do tell me what the answers are. (Definitive answers from the top, I mean, not somebody’s guesswork or opinion.) Just an answer to the question, why has Roland bought our club would be a good start.

• Addickted said:

Pico said:

What was the problem with the current Trust Chair doing this through the Trust, rather than start up a splinter group?

That is a very good question and it is the one we asked him and others at the time. They saw the sense of our argument and joined the Trust.
  • rikofold said:

Well it's something that developed in your own head, as opposed to anything connected to reality. You are obviously trying to pin your blanket accusations on me. Fine. For the benefit of Lifers, especially those who are Trust members, here is a TNT article I wrote at the beginning of the season. Anti- network? Hardly. Definitely true, is that I have tried hard on behalf of Trust members to understand how the network actually works by talking to fans of other clubs, be they organised groups, journalists or individuals who have met RD, or in the case of Jena, fans who actually work for the club, as well as Belgian friends here in Prague who know something of RD. As a result of that, sometimes I may write things that may portray a somewhat negative view that fans of other clubs hold of the Network. I am not going to remotely apologise for that. Nothing in this world, especially in the business of football, is black and white, and I think Trust members want to be as informed as possible, informed by contact with real people. And the reason why I do it, is because I enjoy that contact (as my Jena thread will probably convey). I live in the heart of Europe and am proud to be a European. If you want to find an anti -network fan, look no further than Steve Dixon, and his eloquent articles in the Voice. His view isn't mine nor that of my colleagues, and we've had several robust discussions about it over a curry. But hell, I respect his opinion, and know that a lot of people agree with him. What a pity that you, and a few others on here seek to reduce those relevant arguments to petty tribal sniping against people you've never met but have decided you dislike. It means that its more difficult for the Trust to use CL to put forward its ideas and plans for reasonable discussion. There's only so much of this sort of crap that people should spend their free time on.
  • If I got to ask RD a question undoubtedly it would be... Is this the best pitch you've ever seen
  • SELWolf said:

Forgive me asking but why are so many Charlton fans up in arms about the current ownership? (P.S. I live in Lewisham and have been a Charlton admirer since Humphreys and Pender were on your books).

Humphrey
  • Stevie K,
    6, The club appears to have been pretty clear that their preferred route of communication is through KM and RM – they have the right and responsibility to understand and explain RD’s vision for CAFC. The constant desire to go straight over their heads is so disrespectful because it simply suggests that they are incapable of doing their jobs of understanding and explaining this vision.
    Stevie K,

I am constantly complaining about lack of communication, but how can you suggest going over their heads ? There is nobody over their heads, Roland is very obviously an Autocrat who does not believe in communicating with the peasants. Because of this, a lot of the very good things that he has done for the Club are not recognised by people, a fact that obviously upsets Katrien. There is a very easy answer, TALK TO US. You are not expected to give away confidences, but there is much that you could say to us in general terms. We are going through a high point of the season at the moment, share it with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• rikofold said:

Just because you believe something, doesn't make it true...
  • Wow this thread was stranger than I was expecting. Basically talking to yourself and pretending its RD?
  • I once had a conversation with Pamela Anderson in the 90's she really was a great girl, and she gave great blow jobs..................she did look surprisingly like my right hand though.
  • I once had a conversation with Pamela Anderson in the 90's she really was a great girl, and she gave great blow jobs..................she did look surprisingly like my right hand though.

That was Palmela Handerson