Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Game of Thrones

Comments

• Options

We may need a separate A Song of Ice and Fire books thread and a Game of Thrones TV show thread. As I've already read everything on here I didn't take note of what @cfgs was quoting so didn't see the book spoiler tag in the quote but reading his comment (6.45am) I feel was a pretty big spoiler.

Bit late for that, show has practically caught up with the books
  • Options
    I'm glad I haven't read the books, as it sounds as though many are getting very worked up by the differences/similarities between the two. Why not just enjoy them separately for what they are? A visual representation of the story through television is never going to be exactly the same as a whole body of written work.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I'm glad I haven't read the books, as it sounds as though many are getting very worked up by the differences/similarities between the two. Why not just enjoy them separately for what they are? A visual representation of the story through television is never going to be exactly the same as a whole body of written work.

Couldn't agree with you more. Two different mediums that you get to enjoy on two different levels. I'm happier with a condensed story for TV, I get to read about the fine detail separately. Besides, the structure books is so different to film or TV, it's not possible to be faithful to such a sprawling narrative without deviating. The writers have to find the meat in the story and structure character arcs over ten hours. A Dance With Dragons is over a thousand pages! Even with extra episodes they wouldn't make much more of a dent.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2015
    It's not condensed though is it? It's completely different - especially this season.

I've managed to separate the two though and enjoy them both for what they are. I'm also convinced George will die before he finishes his written story.

Lazy git.
  • Options
    WSS said:

It's not condensed though is it? It's completely different - especially this season.

I've managed to separate the two though and enjoy them both for what they are. I'm also convinced George will die before he finishes his written story.

Lazy git.

I think he has completely given up on the writing and simply enjoys perving over the tv cast.
  • Options
    WSS said:

It's not condensed though is it? It's completely different - especially this season..

The structure of books is so different to film or TV, it's not possible to be faithful to such a sprawling narrative without deviating.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

I would agree that 10 episodes for a season is not enough. 12 or 15 may fill it out more, but the direction changes quicker than the tide.

wasn't long ago people were saying it was dragging and was too filled out. Come on people...
    The problem is they drag out the wrong parts. I was one of those saying it. they can't change it now but it would have been nice to have more stuff from the books in there.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

WSS said:

It's not condensed though is it? It's completely different - especially this season..

The structure of books is so different to film or TV, it's not possible to be faithful to such a sprawling narrative without deviating.
    except the way the book is written it would be easy!

Danaerys chapter

Caitlyn chapter

Rob chapter

Cersei chapter...

that's basically just breaking scenes up, which is perfect for transitioning to TV/Film!
  • Options

We may need a separate A Song of Ice and Fire books thread and a Game of Thrones TV show thread. As I've already read everything on here I didn't take note of what @cfgs was quoting so didn't see the book spoiler tag in the quote but reading his comment (6.45am) I feel was a pretty big spoiler.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/61383/game-of-thrones-those-who-have-read-the-books-up-to-date#latest

But what @cafctom says is the best stance to take. Just enjoy both for what they are.

The show has pretty much caught up, but in the way in which it has caught up is slightly different. Tyrion is yet to actually meet Danerys in the books and has a slightly separate (but very interesting story line) that I won't go into if people still want to try the books. The whole Daenerys incident happened in Meereen but involving other characters and played out slightly differently - depending on how they run the final episode it may have caught up with her final chapter in the book and where she is.

As others have said, Stannis' daughter has not (yet) been sacrificed in the books. Yes Stannis' final chapter basically has he and his army marooned in the snow on the way to attack Winterfell. What I can't remember is whether Snow actually went with Tormund Giantsbane to rescue/recruit the wildings and bring them south of the wall and that battle from last week's show took place. He certainly wants to let the wildings south of the wall.

For those of you who are perhaps dipping in interest, if the show does end in line with the books we will have yet another exciting episode on Monday.

From what I have read about the 6th book, Martin omitted 2 big battle scenes from the 5th book that he plans to do early on in the 6th. One involves Meereen (again), where Daenerys is (supposed) to be at the time. He didn't allude to the other.

There is one family and story line that the tv show have kept from us who are integral to the books who I expect will have a huge role in series 6. The Greyjoys.

He hopes to get the 6th book out before next year but unlikely. He reckons he's about 300 finished pages in. He's been stopping appearances and interviews to try and get it all done
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

WSS said:

except the way the book is written it would be easy!

Danaerys chapter

Caitlyn chapter

Rob chapter

Cersei chapter...

that's basically just breaking scenes up, which is perfect for transitioning to TV/Film!
    It's the same issue Peter Jackson and co. had with LotR. Concurrent storylines are not narrative-friendly for TV/ Film.

LOST dabbled with it fairly successfully, but that was intermittent, forcing this show entirely into the same format as the book would be an absolute nightmare for plotting a TV show. If it wasn't, Weiss and Benioff would have probably done it that way!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Traitor.
  • Options
    Hahaha

And now his watch has ended
  • Options
    Nooooooooo!!!!
  • Options
    Don't go spreading spoilers remember most on this thread won't know of the stabbing etc till after it airs tonight.

Just to clarify, GRR Martin hasn't confirmed this death... though it doesn't seem promising considering the actor/actress has confirmed they have left the show... for next season at least.

• Options
    Bollocks. Forgot people were watching the episodes 24 hours earlier on-line. Completely spoiled tonight's episode! Fucking twats!
  • Options
    Irrespective of how vague some of the posts are would it be too much to ask for people to hold off on some the comments until most people get to watch the show at 9pm.

On a personal level I have read the books so have a good idea what might have happened!
  • Options
    yes - and considering there is a thread on game of thrones for those who have read the books you'd have thought they could have kept their comments to themselves for a few hours or at least put them on that thread which people wouldn't have opened.

I came on this thread today to post about how excited I was for the finale tonight!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loads happens though. Spoilers are a pain in the arse but lots of stories in tonights episode are good talking points, so don't think its ruined completely!
  • Options

Loads happens though. Spoilers are a pain in the arse but lots of stories in tonights episode are good talking points, so don't think its ruined completely!

I will still watch it but I'm feeling pretty miffed that I am aware that certain things will happen and you and others can't even be bothered to leave off the thread for a few hours or apologise for spoiling things for others.

More sadly, I dont know why I'm actually surprised. people these days are far too interesting in breaking news themselves to score ego points and less concerned about spoiling enjoyment for other people.

• Options
    What????

Where have I given anything away???
  • Options
    Sorry - anger directed at others not you @ValleyGary !
  • Options
    Christ, definitely gone beyond the books now.
  • Options

Sorry - anger directed at others not you @ValleyGary !

No probs Suzi
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Dazzler21 said:

Don't go spreading spoilers remember most on this thread won't know of the stabbing etc till after it airs tonight.

Just to clarify, GRR Martin hasn't confirmed this death... though it doesn't seem promising considering the actor/actress has confirmed they have left the show... for next season at least.

nice one. If I didn't gather what happened from the 2 posts above which frankly were reasonably vague, i certainly am under no illusions from reading your post. thanks.
    As if you didn't get that something big has happened from the 'watch is over' comment...

I apologise if I really did let the cat out of the bag but you must have gone and found out the actors/actresses that are leaving and not returning for season 6, as such that is a poorly cloaked attempt at a dig...

and VG she's digging at me, never mind that i haven't seen tonight's episode yet. I am still excited...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

nice one. If I didn't gather what happened from the 2 posts above which frankly were reasonably vague, i certainly am under no illusions from reading your post. thanks.
    As if you didn't get that something big has happened from the 'watch is over' comment... You must have gone and found out the actor/actresses that are leaving so that is a poorly cloaked attempt at a dig. Mormonts dead, get over it...

and VG she's digging at me.
    It's not just you I'm having a pop at @Dazzler21 (not a poorly cloaked attempt at a dig - I am really frustrated about it!) The 2 posts before you inferred something big had happened although kept it vague - it was likely there would be a 'wow' ending - no surprises spoilt as to what, then a bit more of a spoiler from the 'watch' comment which was frustrating, and then I couldn't work out if you were being sarcastic telling people not to start spoilers by directly writing something else in more detail! I haven't looked anywhere to see which actor / actresses are leaving.

It's just incredibly selfish and more ridiculous you can't see why.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Well I apologise for dampening your mood for this episode, I really am.

Having not seen it yet myself, I am still psyched.